Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ho-made sanblast rigs anybody

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boxcar's 1928, May 27, 2013.

1. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Trying to help my dad figure something out. He's got a 70's ish Saylor Bell 705 compressor that initially ran off a gas engine.... The gas engine is now kaput and I gave him a 5 hp elect to get him back to running again. The elect motor is recently rebuilt and runs fine alone but when connected (belt) to the compressor...it blows the circuit breaker.

The compressor is mechanically sound and runs smooth with the fly wheel.
    My apologies in advance if this is is too ot. But we are talking tools here.

Granted he does not have the pressure switch installed yet and there's those lines that are not connected...but, he should have been able to at least run as a test. The CB is a 30 Amp...and the elect motor shows a 28 Amp and a 24 Amp something...dont remember. Maybe a startup amperage requirement and a sustained Amp requirement

Attached Files:

2. make sure there is no air pressure on head when starting should have check valve in discharge line just a thought

3. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

hudsonmand...will do. But as the copper lines from the diapfram are not connected...and assumed clear of debris...I dont think there's any pressure.

I'm wondering if the elect motor would need some internal clutch or soft start to start turning that massive flywheel. But I don't know

thanks

4. Sounds like the surge at startup it too high and you braker can't handle it.

5. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

fuxl...you may be right. If the breaker is a tired old one it just may need changed out or up. thanks

6. also check the capacitors to see if they are able to handle the abrupt start when pressure is low, possible over surge when starting is overpowering the breaker...

7. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Make sure motor is wired for the voltage Ur using and Ur not supose to load a breaker more than 80% of its capacity so if the name plate says 28amps is put it on a 40amp breaker with #8 wire

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Emglo compressor has an unloader that allows the compressor to start under no/light load and oil pressure from the compressor loads it when it gets up to speed. Maybe if all your lines aren't connected, youve not enabled this feature.

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

Is it wired for 240 VAC ? Look on the nomenclature plate and follow the directions. A 240 VAC should have two 40 amp. breakers one on each side of the buss bars in the panel. Call a electrician.

Last edited: May 27, 2013