Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cant get on the tec site so have a problem with 55 chevy hooker fenderwell headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CPTRON, May 26, 2013.

1. CPTRON

CPTRON

I have a 55 210 gasser sbc try to put a brand new set of hooker fender well headers on and they hit the steering box do I have the wrong headers or do I have to move the motor:)

2. oj

oj

Sounds like you have the wrong headers all together. fenderwell headers travel away from the engine and exit thru a hole near the hood hinges and emerge in the fenderwell just above and behind the front tire where they turn down twards the ground and the collector dumps behind the front tire.
    They aren't anywhere near the steering box.

3. Maybe you have 62-67 Nova/Chevy II headers?

4. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

if your motor is mounted too low or the stock mounts are smashed (to low) they will hit the steering box you'll have to raise the motor.I just put a set on and they hit the fill plug on the box.

5. 5559

from tn

I bought a set of under chassis hookers for a 55 a few years back & they were the worst fitting headers ive ever had -----1 set was enough for me----

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he probably hit the problem. If the car has side mounts, worn out mounts or some sort of fabricated mounts the engine may be sitting too low. It would be hard to have it setting back too far unless you cut the firewall as stock V8's had damned little clearance at the firewall for the distributor as it was.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Pictures are probably worth a thousand words.