Register now to get rid of these ads!

AUS to Hot August Nights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by macca_loto, May 24, 2013.

1. macca_loto

macca_loto
    from Australia

Hi all,

Im after some ideas on what else i can fit into my trip (all car related) around the time of hot august nights. Ill be flying into to LAX from Australia either at the start of HAN or before it or for say 8 days either side. Ill be driving up to Reno so will have a car, have been extensively through CA, just looking for some ideas. Would like to see a bit more countryside too, i See some west coast nationals are on either side up in Washington state. Is there any must see must do events, shops, swaps around this time?

2. Sacramento swap August 4th and Bonneville speed week, I will be at both.

3. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

You'd better confirm and reconfirm your hotel reservations

4. Booked and paid in full

5. jaxx

jaxx

Carson City Cruisers have in the past had a nice cruise-show and street dance the weekend before H A N - very family friendly and a great time - jaxx

6. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Highway 395 from LA to Reno is a beautiful drive and is my preferred route.
    As stated Speedweek is a must and you better try to get a room in Wendover ASAP!!
    There are going to be 2 collector car auctions in Reno during HAN including Barret Jackson.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  7. macca_loto

macca_loto
    from Australia

Anyone recommend somewhere to stay in reno or more so areas to avoid?

8. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

There really aren't any areas in Reno to 'avoid'. Other than for aesthetic reasons. Ok, to be honest, you probably shouldn't be gobsmacked and walking around late at night east of downtown on Fourth Street by yourself, but if you had a semi drunk pal with you you'd likely be safe.

If you can, try to get into the Siena Hotel, down on the River and near the middle of things. The town is pretty small. Peppermill and Atlantis Hotels next, then Silver Legacy, Grand Sierra and the Nugget, then Circus Circus.

If you don't mind driving, check out lodging in Virginia City. I don't know what their occupancy rate is, but Tahoe House is a very nice b/b, we stayed at B Street B/B, Gold Hill Hotel is nice, and the Sugarloaf is small and old, but quiet, very clean and the owners are super. Plus, the drive up and down Geiger Grade with views of the Carson Range and Mount Rose and Slide Mountain as you came into town are something you'll remember. It's a half hour drive or less from Reno. Be careful on that drive down the hill. Do a google Satellite view to see what I mean.

9. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

If you come in early, you can catch the start of the show up at South Lake Tahoe, as well as spend a day just taking a drive around the Lake and stopping as something catches your fancy. The MS Dixie Cruise, a paddlewheel boat, is a very nice cruise.

I've never been to this, but the photos have looked spectacular: http://tahoewoodenboats.com/

Among the things to see at Tahoe, there's the Thunderbird Lodge: http://thunderbirdtahoe.org/

The Ehrman Mansion at Sugar Pine Point State Park: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=510

Near Eagle Falls, on the West Side of the Lake, is Vikingsholm: http://www.vikingsholm.org/

As for car things, there will be so many to see around the Reno and Sparks area, there is the National Automobile Museum in Reno: http://www.automuseum.org/

Let me know if you need other ideas or sights while you're here.

10. choptop4

choptop4

If you come up HWY 50 to Lake Tahoe ,You can stop here. Iam in the Wine and Gold country. Lots to see in Old Hangtown . I have friends up and down your gold coast .Had a blast when I was there.Going back in March . Cheers

11. big M

big M

If you'd like to visit a wrecking yard with over 1000 pre seventies cars, I will give you the grand tour. I'm a little over three hours west of Reno, and will be selling at the swap there, but heading home that Sunday.

---John

12. macca_loto

macca_loto
    from Australia

Thanks for all the tips so far! Big M where abouts exactly? Heading west from reno is a little out of our way but to see 1000 pre seventies cars in a yard could be worth it!

13. I would take this offer up ^^^^^ in a flash,Cruised thru here on our way to Viva,beautiful country and great people.

14. 1959apache

1959apache

If you decide to go to Tahoe and are looking for a good place to eat let me know too, I was born and raised there and go there at least twice a year.

15. big M

big M

I'm in Williams, California, at the junction of I-5 and Highway 20, about 60 miles north of Sacramento.

---John

16. macca_loto

macca_loto
    from Australia

So Much good info thanks guys the hamb is awesome! Checked out all those hotels LeoH! All looked fantastic but as much as being in the action id also like to be out of it a little as i have other things id like to do whilst there and a little less expensive would be nice too! Any other recommendations for this? So for the plan is fly into seattle, do the nationals up there, drive down to sacramento for a few days and do the swap, drive up to reno for HAN then drive back to LA. Any must see places whilst on these travels. Come down the 5 from seattle and will take the 395 to la.

17. 1959apache

1959apache

I have sent you a PM for Tahoe, I have lived in the area and down the mountain in Sacramento and Reno/Carson City/Gardnerville/Minden Area. I can shoot you a PM for this too

18. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I f you are interested in taking a steam train ride, search for V and T railroad. it runs from Carson City to Virgina City and is pretty darn cool.

19. Great to hear you are stopping by the Sacramento Swap Meet (aka Reno SwapMeet) bring your walking shoes ...

if you get there on Sat Night buy a vendor space ($20) and it will give access to the swap meet on Sat before.. and you get in before we open to the public on Sunday at 6am .

Grab a room at the Hampton Inn $89 a night and it's in walking distance to the swap

Dereck Thomason from New Zealand will be selling his Model A Quick Change rear ends at our swap meet and then heading over to Speed Week too .. in a borrowed model A Coupe

let me know if you need anything else .. glad to help out

Attached Files:

20. Scumdog

Scumdog

Circus Circus is not bad - and real handy to down-town and the cruising circuit - (you can see some of it from your room if it's in the right place)

Well worth the effort.

BTW: Cruising up to Sacremento (Poor Boys show should be near there from memory) then Tahoe (a show there too with a lot of cars for sale) then Reno is a nice drive.

21. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

While in Sacramento see the California Auto Museum on Front Street, Sacramento Vintage Ford, So-Cal Speed Shop Sacramento on Del Paso Blvd., and the State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento.

22. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Well, not sure your idea of 'less expensive' and unfortunately, HAN is HUUUGE up here, so mayyy-be one of the smaller places in VC might be a lower rate, but I have to think Reno, Sparks, Tahoe and Carson City are all going to be premium room rates during that time and probably VC. Anywhere further out might be cheaper, but you'll make it up in time and gas costs driving from there to here.
    I live here and make money off your visiting:D, so if anyone else has hotel room rate experience during that time, please chime in I really don't have a clue.

23. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

24. macca_loto

macca_loto
    from Australia

i understand its peak but can stay at the sands for cheap!

25. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Good to hear. I had no idea what the room situation was this close to the event. Regardless, a drive up to Virginia City for a visit is recommended, as well as the drive up to and around Lake Tahoe. Be careful on either drive; narrow, twisty roads with amazing scenery to distract you all the way up and back, and the added excitement of impatient locals driving up your butt to help keep your eyes on the road all the time! ;)

The scenery is more than worth you pulling off to let the idiots pass and for you to enjoy the view.

26. jalopy45

jalopy45

What spaces are you in John?, we will be setup there too. Center isle, third row down from main gate with the inline intakes. Admired your pile for years but hard to park an 18 wheeler on your road frontage, and to far an old fart like me to walk to from McD's. ;)

27. big M

big M

We're in spaces B9-B13, last row, parallel to Sutro street. I drive a red '57 Fury, and it's always parked next to the spaces. Stop by for a cold one and say Hi!

---John