Register now to get rid of these ads!

Want instal front brakes in my Sprint car, need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barobert, May 15, 2013.

1. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello
    In my 1930s Sprint car I want to install also front brakes. Does anyone from you have some pictures with some ideas and solutions. In my foot room as you can see in the picture is not much place.

Attached Files:

2. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody ever mountet a master brake cylinder in the footromm of his old Sprint Car, or have a picture of it?

3. Im sure many of us have mounted pedals in many types of cars with limited room. Its mostly a figure it out as you go. You have to modify the pedal to clear everything AND work with available room with the master cylinder location.

4. no_fenders

no_fenders

Yes a couple of different styles ,, I have some pictures I can send ,, Send me an email at rmichaux at telus.net .. I'm away for the next 3 days so when I get back.. Ron

5. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello, thanks, I have send you a E-mail

6. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi, yes, I'm interestet in the many different types. To modifi the pedal is not so a problem.
    Thanks Norbert

7. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

Do like the modern sprint cars and midgets do, mount the master cylinder behind the seat.
    You can either mount the pedal at the top ( you would push forward), or at the bottom / rear ( you would push down).

8. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tanks for this Info, how does the force go from the pedal to the master cylinder behind the seat?

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Most cars of that era used mechanical hand brakes. Mount the handle to the outside of the frame rail through a pillow block arangment with a lever tab pushing the brake rod of the master that is mounted inside the frame rail.

10. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

It is just a matter of what way you make the lever in relation to the pivot.
    To push back, the lever arm would probably be on the bottom - below the pivot. That way when you push the pedal down, it pushes the master cylinder rod back.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Maybe a setup something like this would work for you (?)

Attached Files:

12. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

one setup that worked well in some of my older cars was a clutch master cyl from a early 60's GMC heavy truck-the aluminum pedal and steel master cyl are one unit that bolts nicely to a flat motor plate.the master actually sits vertically to take less room-they were used often enough that Speedway Motors used to carry rebuilts-dont have a way to post pics or I'd try to locate one

13. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

One option would be to mount two separate master cylinders controlled by a toggle assembly. One example is the Wilwood Pedal Remote Master Cylinder Mount. Other manufacturers, such as Tilton, also make similar assemblies.

Using this system you may be able to adapt your existing pedal. You would need to purchase two master cylinders. On cylinder would control front braking. The other would control rear braking. The pedal mount is adjustable to balance the front to rear bias.

http://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalProd.aspx?itemno=340-4630