Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame welding question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fxstc127ci, May 22, 2013.

1. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

I removed a small section o frame to make room for a steering box on my av8. What is a stronger weld tig or mig? I was planning on tig welding but a welder told me I should mig weld. Is he right? And why?

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The method (TIG or MIG) has little to do with the overall strength of the weld. Heat affected area, wire material, penetration, etc are all much more important to the overall strength of the weld.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In the day a good old oxy-acetylene rig might have been used, later a good old Lincoln 225 stick welder. That's all I know.

4. Koz

Koz

I mig my frames as are all factory frames. Tig is pretty and strong as well but a nice mig can be just as sweet and at 120,000 psi way more than adequate. In reality it's more the guy doing it than the process. Good penetration and a clean run on both is required. Tig is easier to polish however being the softer of the two.

5. Fenders

Fenders

If it were me I would stick weld it, I save mig for sheet metal, and I don't to TIG....
    but that's just me.

6. Right. Either can produce a good weld, or junk.
    Technique and set up are the key.

MIG is faster, easier.
    But I prefer TIG.

Use what you have, as if your life depends on it.

7. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

Metal is clean and prepped. I don't have a stick welder I'm very good with the mig and decent with the tig welder. I'm a auto mechanic by trade and curious why the welder suggested I mig weld.

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Probably because that is what he knows and understands. If you haven't studied and understand the physics, metallurgy, and theory behind welding, then you go with what you know and are familiar with.

9. That is most likley what he is most comfortable with. I would tig it but that is my speciality. I feel I have the most control with tig. I use tig for just about everything. Again prep key.

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Did you ask the welder why he recommends TIG?

11. blackcreek

blackcreek

Any welding method done correctly will work.