Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 Chevy coupe,Don Wood, Torrance Performers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36rustrod, Feb 4, 2012.

1. 36rustrod

36rustrod

When I got it it had a front mounted ho327 out of a 68 corvette and a 4 speed muncie. Don't know about the car coming out of Sacramento, all I know is the guy lived in gardena. Let me know what your uncle says.

2. 36rustrod

36rustrod

By the way, I seen in your post you were looking for a olds rear. My 38 has a 56 olds rear in it but if I decide to change it out I will give you first dibs.

3. amadeus

amadeus

I work in Torrance and live near Glendale CA.:)

4. amadeus

amadeus

Thanks for helping locate the hinges,if you do find them it will be great!
    Im looking for a '57-' 64 Pontiac/Olds rear end. I believe the '56 are not as strong as the later years (Im running a SBC Supercharged w/a muncie 4spd)
    Any possibility it might be a 57-64 rear end perhaps?
    JW

5. spoke with the uncle - the pic I was thinking about was of the clubs two 38's and a 37 Chevy at the Russett meet in the late 40's...one was a light color - he said the one I was thinking was a lite factory blue color first...then the maroon color...most Chevies were going to the GMC motor as the hot set up of the time - pre sbc...good luck with yours....

6. 36rustrod

36rustrod

No drain plug and I believe the 57 up have one. No luck on those hinges yet.

7. 36rustrod

36rustrod

Well, after decoding the body tag I found that this car was actually silver from the factory. Guess it had a full paint job done in that maroon color sometime in its life. I really need to get this thing going so I can take it to some of the car shows around here that some of the older gents attend since as far as I know this has been a local car and hopefully some of them recognize it. Thanks for your help though.

8. 36rustrod

36rustrod

Almost ready to drive. Going to drive it like this for a bit till I decide what I am going to do color wise. I'll enjoy it for the summer then tear into it after.

Attached Files:

9. Hey Chris, glad to hear you're enjoying the car. For as cheap as I sold it to you for I would think you could have finished paying me the rest of the money you still owe me. Yeah it's me Bob, Kims dad, haven't heard from you for some time. Kim said you drove by in it once, how cool. I'll tell you the story about the car and the Woods family. It was Donny's car and he did die while running from the police on his motorcycle at 5 corners in Hermosa Beach, Ca.. His car was never driven again after that (1971 I believe) and it sat in the garage for at least 20 years while I rented the place at 1239 w 139th st, Gardena, Ca from his mom and looked after her things she left behind to move to Arizona when her husband Don (Donny's dad) committed suicide. The house was small but the garage was gigantic. With that Chevy it also held a 67 I think Mustang fastback, a 56 Ford F100 with a big block 3 on the tree and overdrive that was his dads truck that he bought new and had under 50k miles on it when he died and it sat there too. There was also 2 military jeeps that were 1st year productions, one stock and one had a 327 that don put in it. Both GI issue. Even with those 4 vehicles there was room for another 4 at least. 2 car garage door in the front and a 2 car garage door in the back so you could drive straight through to the back acre of land. Between the 2 doors you could fit probably 4 cars end to end. There was no shooting range under it but there was an upstairs that was going to be a a 3 bedroom house but was being used for parts storage for the plumbing business they owned, Don Wood Plumbing. After Nora Died Dan, Donny's big brother, came and picked up the 2 Jeeps and sold the Mustang for $15,000. Then you bought the Chevy from me and paid a little down then later a little more then again a little more over the next couple years. I thought out of respect you would have payed it off in time but you disappeared. I don't even remember how much you owe or expect to ever see it but I happened across this post and had to say something for posterity. Enjoy the car, hope to see it and you again someday.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. Rckt98

Rckt98

Chances are Chris isn't going to see this, he hasn't been here since January.

11. Probably won't but there is a chance he might. Keeping the post alive.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy