Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap, handy 12V power source

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas57, May 21, 2013.

1. I'm Glad Tech week is over..couldn't figure out how to post that way anyhow. Check out this converted drill motor for a cheap, lightweight 12V power source with a built in variable speed switch..and the ability to change polarity quickly. It's great for checking electrical stuff as you're progressing with your new wiring... like power windows,etc. I used it a while back when I made a hard arm wiper system for my '57. The variable switch just let me creep the wiper motor along easily stopping it where I needed to make adjustments. Easily caried into salvage yards and swap meets..less than a few pounds. cost..about $35.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats pretty interesting!
    I can see that having quite a few uses.
    Thanks for posting it! :D

3. Model Man

Model Man
    from Georgia

Now that's a kool idea...thanks!

4. R35J1S

R35J1S
    from Missouri

I went the other way with this idea years back. I used to work on forklift batteries and my cordless drill battery shot crap. I ran wires with clamps from the contacts inside the drill. I could clamp them to the battery that I was working on and run my drill for the entire job. Made good use if an old tired drill. I love your idea of making good use of a broken drill with a good battery.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

If you use Milwaukee M12 batteries, Milwaukee sells a gizmo called a power port where you plug in an M12 battery and have a cigarette lighter socket and a USB socket output. Search for Milwaukee 2349-20 12V Cordless M12
    Great for remote phone battery charges or whatever...costs about $29 but it doesnt have the variable speed ability.

6. arto

arto

What does the variable speed switch actually vary, the voltage?

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Same here, when all my 12v Makita batteries died I ran a cord from the drill with alligator clamps. Hook it to my truck battery when I'm out at the ranch with no A/C power and never have to worry about having charged batteries out there.

8. FANTM58

FANTM58

Cool Idea !!!
    I have a few crap 12v De Walts laying around.......

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

10. gatz

gatz

great idea...gonna use it

11. Good idea, lots of uses.

12. Can I just use my 12v dc drill instead? :D