Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1949 Olds 88 project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still picking away on the Olds. All these little tedious,time consuming jobs that don’t look like much, but all take time.
    Front suspension is finished (other than shocks). Installed new calipers, rotors Had to lengthen the pedals (below the fulcrum) so they would actuate the brake and clutch master cylinders. Brakes are all done,as is the clutch hydraulic system.The flywheel is in along with the new clutch. No easy task finding a flywheel for the Olds motor (and not cheap, but if you need it , nothing you can do).Headers are on for the last time. Had to modify #7 tube on the drivers side for clutch pedal clearance. Fan shroud is finished and out being powder coated. Power steering lines are installed. Measured for the driveshaft today,so that will be done next week. Going to start on the exhaust tomorrow. And hopefully next week-end I’ll start on the wiring and with any luck, should be “yard driving” in the next few weeks.
    Front suspension
    [​IMG]
    Brake and clutch master cylinders /mts
    [​IMG]

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shifter and boot is in
    [​IMG]
    Motor is just about ready to fire
    [​IMG]
    Getting dash ready for paint
    [​IMG]

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very close to being a driver. Couple more weeks maybe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I started the 425 for the first time and was able to drive the car outdoors under its own power. Motor sound good. Clutch and brakes feel good. Tomorrow I'll install the cotter pins in all the ball joints,tie rod ends ,etc, and put the front shocks in. I left everything loose in case I decided to cut a coil to lower the front more, but the springs settled about an inch and 1/2,so I am happy with the stance.
    Waiting to get the seats back from the upholster. Once I get them back,I’ll get it to the alignment shop,drive it for a couple weeks to work the bugs out of it, then off to the upholstery shop for the headliner and rugs .
    Thanks Marty ! You saved me a lot of time (between the info/pictures he gave me) and made this job easy. To have this up and running in 8 months is great. Another month to finish all the little odds and ends, and I’ll be cruzin’ in my Rocket 88. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Baron,
    You have done a lot, in a short time frame, your car looks great. Sorry I didn't get back to you on the heater control knob, I have been very busy. Did you figure it out? Happy motoring !

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Olds is now a “driver”. Had the front end aligned this morning. I am pleased with everything about the car. The motor runs great, the Muncie 4 spd is quiet as a mouse,as is the rear end, the clutch and brakes work just as they're supposed to. Car rides very nice, and handles better than I had hoped. I love the feel of the steering and front suspension of these early GM clips. Couldn’t be much better. Waiting on the upholsterer to finish the rear seat, than I’ll drop it off at his shop to have the headliner and rugs done. Nice to be done by this time of the season. Here are a couple shots I just took after its maiden voyage home. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there was a 49-50 Olds in my neighborhood in the mid 70's. just sitting in the driveway. very faded candy red paint, louvered hood, shaved trunk, rusty chrome wheels and a nice "California rake" just like yours.... the best part was the old red and white tuck-n-roll interior. I never saw it move from the spot where it was parked. I'd ride my bike past that house a couple times a week going to my buddies house around the corner.

it was advertised in the paper when I was 15. then it was gone. if he had waited a year to sell it I would have probably bought it.:(

bought a 1949 Chevrolet instead.:)

8. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Looks good!
    Bob

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Baron - you are doing a fantastic job on this Olds! Really like how you fitted the Camaro front clip - it still gives a stock-looking appearance to the car. Sometimes they are too wide and it ruins the whole look.

Like that shop truck too! Great work!

Steve

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. Thanks to much of the info received here (Marty), this job was quick and easy. And with no body work or rust to repair, this has been all "fun work". It is so nice when we put all "these parts" together and end up with a car that drives and handles in a civilized manor. The motor feels real strong, and if there is anything I am not happy about , it would be the 4.11 rear gear. That coupled with the close ratio 4 spd, feels like I am shifting from 1st gear to 1st gear to 1st gear....to 3rd! And with the torque this 425 has ,it certainly does not need this much gear. On the positive side, I guess it will keep me from getting any speeding tickets on the highway. I'll look for another center section with 3.42s.

[​IMG]

11. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Man, that's about a perfect rake and just what I'm looking for on our '55 Super 88. You have the rear at stock ride height, correct? Love the wheels.

Great job, great car.

Kevin

12. guitard

guitard

The Olds is completely bad ass, the house rocks, and that tow rig is about the coolest thing I've ever seen. Well played.

13. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]just not for sure how or what way to go.... Please keep posting updates

Well one thing......get rid of the electrical tape..!

14. modelamac

modelamac

LOL the electrical tape! I've heard that so many times, that has been on the car since 1963.... I hate to take it off now.

I still haven't done a damn thing to the car, I did get it running and took it to the pile up and the rust revival.

I hope to start doing something to it later this summer or winter.

I will keep everyone updated once I start.

Attached Files:

15. 57J2

57J2

Baron, great job on the Olds! Looks good !!

16. sololobo

sololobo

Damn, it is nostalgia day. Just posted on a 57 150 wagon that i had a like one. Then here is a 49 Olds coupe, I had a nice one and miss it all the time. Love what you are doing, congrats. ~sololobo~

17. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

WOW! Very NICE work Baron! Love the results of all your hard work! The car turned VERY WELL!

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. The rear is all stock, right down to the OEM shocks. With the 120 inch wheelbase, the thing rides smooth as silk. The 425 has a ton of torque, and the thing pulls like a bear. This will surprise a few people, I'm sure. ;)
    I probably put 75 miles on it this weekend, and so far, so good. Looks like I'll be dropping it off later this week to have Jerry finish the interior.
    Thanks to all on the positive comments.
    Baron

"this is not your father's Oldsmobile........"

19. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

nice ssp!

20. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

Great looking Olds and COE too...

21. el_bole

el_bole

Baron,

Great work in such a short time....I fell in love with the(49-50) Olds coupe when I saw it on Fast n' Loud....

What types of rims you running, brand? Look to be the same from the FnL show....

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 50.jpg
      50.jpg
      File size:
      495.5 KB
      Views:
  22. teddyp

teddyp

had a 50 olds coupe in high school always wanted another one yous is coming out great enjoy the shit out of it you done it right

23. thats a cool looking car .....

just love the look on them ....

i have been looking for a 49/ 50 FB for awhile now, but no avail at the moment .... =/

one i ll find it .... =)

love the build too, great job .....

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. The car is out having the interior done. Stopped by last night to drop off the armrests and the inside is looking good. Black roll and pleat, with a black vinyl headliner and black rugs. Looks great with the chrome garnish moldings. Will post some pictures when I get it back. I have a set of new springs that I'll install in the rear to drop the car a couple inches. Had a little bit too much rake for me.

Thank. The wheels are from Wheels Vintiques, 64 series OE style wheels( mine came from Summit). Fronts are 15 x 5 with 3 inch back space, rears are 15 x 7 with 4 1/4 back space.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  25. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Love your Olds, it's just awesome!

26. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

Wow, the dash looks amazing. Can't wait to see more!

27. With that torque-monster under the hood, you really need to re-think the gearing. You
    will be 1/2 way there changing to 3.42 rear gears, but you should also go to a WIDE ratio
    4 speed with a low gear of @ 2.52 to get away from "rowing gears" and make that thing
    come alive. Close ratio boxes are better suited for high-winding small blocks on the strip.
    (Do dig your Olds though; they were the ORIGINAL muscle car..)

28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

OUTSTANDING! I am a big fan of 49 50 Olds yours is lookin VERY sharp!

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are right on that count. I had two Muncie's I had stored away, and both happened to be close ratio 4 spd's. I do have one more that is currently in my 57 Corvette(supposedly out of the early 70's GTO) that will be coming out shortly and who knows, maybe that will be just the one for the Olds.

30. RayMiller

RayMiller

Awesome coupe man! I have the lowly Chevy version. I love that style olds!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!