Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949, 1950, 1951 Mercury Hinges same as Lincoln?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot-Rod-Howard, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Hot-Rod-Howard

Hot-Rod-Howard

Hoping someone can help me with some questions about Merc hinges. I recently bought a 51 merc and it is missing the hood hinges (the ones located further away from the firewall with the spring) and the deck lid hinges. I have tracked down a 49 or 50 Baby Lincoln at my local junk yard that has all the hinges I need, but I don't know if the Lincoln and Mercury hinges are the same. Also don't know if the hinges are the same from 49-51 in Mercs. Any info you guys can help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I just looked in my Lincoln / Mercury Overhaul & Shop Manual. The 49-51 Lincoln Cosmopolitan (9EH, 0EH, 1EH) does NOT share the hood hinges or trunk hinges. This is a different model than the Mercury body.

The "baby" Lincoln (9EL, 0EL, 1EL) does share the hood hinges and trunk hinges with the Mercury (9CM, 0CM, 1CM). This Lincoln is the same body style as the Mercury with a different hood and front fenders. So, if the doors on this junkyard Lincoln do not look like Mercury doors, the part shouldn't be interchangeable. I've included pictures of my '51 Mercury hood hinges so you know what you're looking for.

EDIT: I edited my reply then realized there were more replies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sorry I don't know the answer, but the Lincoln did have a longer hood so the springs may be bigger and the geometry may be different.

That being said, how big of a risk is there in buying the junkyard set and trying them out?

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

49-51 Merc hinges are all the same. Don't know if they interchange with Lincoln, but as Mike said it's worth a try.

5. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The front sheet metal on the longer baby Lincoln EL is quite a bit different than the Mercury. They use similar hinge set ups between the two but all the part numbers except the shoulder bolts are different, including the springs. There is likely a difference in dimensions for the seperate parts even though they look similar.

It seems like I saw a pair of hinges on flea-pay not too long ago. I see them on there now and then. You can get a number of sources for used parts on the Mercury parts thread if you search it out. You might try old Bill Papke. I hear he is planing on selling out though.

6. Hot-Rod-Howard

Hot-Rod-Howard

Thanks everyone for the input. The lincoln is a baby and does have the body that looks like the merc. The junkyard wants $125 for both sets of hinges. Just seemed a bit steep if they were not going to fit. They sure look like the ones in your pics docter (thanks for including the pics that is a big help) . It looks like they would be close enough to make work even if they are not exact.

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

The overhaul manual listed the Merc and baby Lincoln hinge part numbers as the same. I saw hinges on e-pay recently, but they were expensive. Not sure if they are still available or not. I'd probably pay the $125 and have them in my hands.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. Hot-Rod-Howard

Hot-Rod-Howard

Thanks Doc.

I think I will go and get the Lincoln hinges. Does your manual mention if the deck lid hinges are the same too? Thanks for all your help.

9. Hot-Rod-Howard

Hot-Rod-Howard

Thanks Doc.

I think I will go and get the Lincoln hinges. Does your manual mention if the deck lid hinges are the same too? Thanks for all your help.

10. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

deck lid hinges same as baby Lincoln.

11. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The root part number is the same but the O/H manual doesn't always have the prefix. Baby lincoln start with 8L- and Merc start with 8M-. I have no idea what the difference is but they have to hold up a longer hood which will make it necessary to have stonger springs and possibly either longer or shorter over center dimensions on the forward arms. A person would have to have a pair of hinges from both body styles just to see what the difference is.

Anyone who has had to beat the fenders down due to a hood opening while driving down the highway knows how hard these old hoods are to get adjusted correctly.

12. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

The trunks are the same cause mine is a 49
    lincoln trunk.

13. brad53 blues

brad53 blues
    from ohio

ive baught all these items on ebay. you have to check every day

14. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thanks for posting these pics of Merc hinges, I am putting back to-gether a 51 Merc that some else took apart, and they helped me greatly. Larry

15. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

No problem... You should get yourself a 49-51 Merc Chassis Catalog. It shows exploded views of nearly everything.

16. rbradber

rbradber
    from Choctaw

What about door hinge interchangeability? 49-51 Merc, front and rear, tops and lowers? Thx.

17. Mac_man_51

Mac_man_51

i am in the process of putting a merc front clip on a baby lincon body. merc hinges came on clip i purchased. the hood bolted to lincoln pivot rods as pictured above. everything seems to function as it should. I would say grab them and run

18. Mac_man_51

Mac_man_51

I am in the process of taking a baby Lincoln and turning it into a merc. The body from the firewall back is identical from what I can tell. Dennis Carpenter has a variety of parts and has a technical department that might be able to answer that question. As does mercuryland. When I replace parts for the Lincoln part of this car I order from them. Haven't had a problem. Hope that helps

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad