Register now to get rid of these ads!

leaking residual pressure valves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach529, May 18, 2013.

1. Coach529

Coach529

1949 Chevy 3600

Update to disc front, updated drum rear, dual master cylinder and prop valve with speedway residual pressure valves.

Both sides of the 10lb valve leak, and 1 side of the 2lb valve leaks. I snugged them up, as well as verifies I had the right fittings.

Teflon tape? Any other suggestions?

2. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Fastenal sells a hydrolic thread locker fluid that is just lock locktite. Works great. you apply it to fitting and let it set overnite. I always use it if the customer wants dot5 fluid.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  3. 'Mo

'Mo

Teflon tape worked for me.

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Double check the flares.... be sure everything is smooth, and no nicks or scratches,....brake fluid will seep out of very small flaws.

4TTRUK

5. Is it leaking out of a pipe thread adaptor or a inverted flair fitting?

If its a pipe thread for an adaptor, teflon will work. If its the flair fitting, often times you can undo them, spin the fitting to a different spot and tighten. Make sure you dont over tighten them.

6. jrsiron

jrsiron

Make sure you have not screwed flared nut into 1/8" pipe threads. It is easy to make this mistake.

7. BobMcD

BobMcD

I agree with the above. Need to have a pipe thread adapter to thread your brake lines into.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd never use teflon tape on anything automotive. Automotive plumbing is designed to not need "help" sealing, if it doesn't seal, something is wrong.

I'd take a look at the flares. Perhaps they are wrong style/angle, or have cracks or other defects.

9. Most aftermarket proportioning valves use an 1/8" to inverted flair brake adaptor, so its really not an "automotive fitting" and they do like teflon used on the pipe fitting side.

10. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All fuel and brake tapered pipe fittings need a thread sealant, but always avoid Teflon tape and instead use the paste form.

12. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks for the input guys. It appears it is leaking between the residual valve and the adapter, not between the adapter and flare.

The residual valve is 1/8 NPT.

13. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I ended having to use the eci units.Every other one I tried leaked at the pipe thread adapter.All of the other ones were labeled made in china.Any thing that is made in china that has a pipe thread will most likely leak.Not sure if its the tolerance they work to or if the thread is a little different pitch.I have noticed this on both automotive and plumbing type fittings.

14. This is the correct info. Ditch the shitty aluminum ones and get the BRASS ECI residuals.

15. I have litterly put in 100s of Speedways cheap ass aluminum ones and never had a single leak. Sometimes it is the hunter and not the gun :rolleyes:

And used cheap HF teflon tape on them all. The key is to not put the tape where it will break off into the fluid.

16. I think the issue with the Al ones is that the threads are more easily distorted than with the brass. We had a pile of Wilwood ones we pulled off customer cars at the shop, all bunged up by someone previously.