Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Picton Airfield Spring Opener

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dolmetsch, May 13, 2013.

1. For all those who race for fun (and not $$$$$$$$$$) Don't forget the Spring opener at Picton Airfield this weekend (May 18.) If you recall last fall, attendance exceeded 3000. Beazer will be on hand, in Rain Dance uniform for some action shots with some of the vintage rods and some of the old signage from Mohawk recently discovered in an old building. If you haven't been to one of these FUN events now is your chance! Gates open at 10. Racing, nonstop 12 to 5 PM. Usually a run every to 30 to 40 seconds. (As soon as the track is clear the next pair go. No waiting.)
    Don

2. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Well it's a 3 or 4 mile drive, but, I will try to make it. :)

3. It was a great day. Good weather. Started slow but by the end of the day attendance was excellant. Three Feds and two altered in attendance as well as several gassers. As well as many street cars which is fine because in reality those are the boys who pay the bills.
    I myself made 4 runs. Three against a BB FORD altered (bantam roadtser) and one agaisnt my nemisis, the BB Chevy injected rail. The little slant six put up a valiant fight and actually got one win. It was running as perfect as it probably ever will. They had an antifreeze down about 4PM but simply moved the track over on the huge airport strip while they cleaned up the mess. Bite was good for my car. I was just skimming the front wheels which is about perfect for control and bite. After they movedthe track they also moved the burn ut spot. there is a naural depression in the track where two pavements meet ad that became the burnout water trough. Couldnt have been better. I wetted the tires , rolled thru and loaded then stood on it. I carried the wheels a bit high and went thru the beams a wee bit close to the infa red as the car was heading a bit to the right. I knocked the beam out of alignment but they had it corrected in minutes. My apologies for messing up the show. Early that day they set up the Mohawk Drags sign (original from the 60s found in a building at the old Mohawk airport) Mohawk for those who are not aware was the site of the BIG GO NORTH NHRA drag event in the 1960s. It is also Beazer Home track. They did a photo shoot with the old cars from the day with Beazer flagging them off.
    Great Day.
    Don

4. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2013

5. WOW Bob, Great Pics!
    That guy in the orange ChevyII gets in more runs then anyone I have ever seen. Car must be real reliable since I heard he drives from up north somewhere.
    Don

PS someday I will get enuf nerve up to take my hand off the brake!

6. Awesome pics, I need to get up there for this event. Whens the next one? Ill be in my non hamb freindly wagon though.

7. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

8. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

9. swifty

swifty

Man that looks like fun. Just like the 50's and 60's all over again. No bullshit, just get out and race.

Bob W thanks for the pics and Don, it's great to see you racing the slant six for another season. Now get back in the shed and work on that 318 Poly.

10. From those pictures...looks like all were smiling and having a great time.....congrats to all organizers and drivers.....well done!

11. Yeah it is a zero stress event. It isnt restricted to hamb friendly . Just seem to be a lot of us old lads and cars showing up. Next scheduled one is sept I think. They are trying to get one in between at least. You saw a lot of cars I missed Bob. Great Pics! I saw you with the camera and a big lens. I have trouble in sunlight(pron to sunstroke) so my pal Mike with the Willys gasser brought a patio umbrella and a folding chair. He wired the umbrella to my tailgate and set the chair under it with a cooler of Barques Root beer beside it and commanded me to sit. I did and survived the hot sun quite nicely and stayed till 5 PM.. Good friends for sure.
    I was already looking at the 318 rail since returning. I have decided to try and spend one day per week working on it if possible.
    Don

12. Bob, That pic of me at speed. Is it before or after the finish line or cones?
    Best photo I have ever had of the car BTW
    Thanks again.
    Don

13. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

About 1/2 way down. Do you want the pic ?

14. Sure would like it. Best ever. Why did I ask? Because I see I have the brake applied. I couldnt believe I am applying the brake while running. Must be scared of the speed. Not getting better with age! At rest handle is 1 inch from rear of brake handle guard. I went to the shop and checked. Brake is applying at mid point and it is at least there. ! Cant believe I am doing that! Going to have to stop hanging onto it.
    Let me know what you need for a framable pic.
    Don

15. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Trying to stop tire spin :confused:

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  16. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

The pic was a little off centre so I centred it, but it should be ok for an 8X10. You have mail , send your email address.

The only problem is I used a "Bow Tie" Camera ..................

17. Tis Ok. Have built a lot of bowties. Probably at least a 100.
    [email protected]
    Thanks
    Don