Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs bags and alignment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tin Can, May 10, 2013.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can

I just got my 53 on the road. It has a MII front suspension and triangulated 4 link. We have adjusted the tires front to back with 1/4" difference from front to back. The tires are still kicked out at the top.

Ok with a little background on why I am asking, what do you guys do for alignment on your bagged projects? I am thinking about removing the skirts and airing the rear up as far as it can and see if the shop can put it on their machine.

2. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

I would just get it aligned at ride height. thats what I do

3. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Yes all alignments should be done at ride height.

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

Like the guys say here, alignment at ride height. The A-arms on a Mustang II should be level with the x-member for alignment. For the back PM Gambino's, Alex can help you out.
    CRUISER :cool:

5. Weasel

Weasel

That's just one of the problems with air bags - there is only one sweet spot for the optimum suspension position. You are introducing a variable every time you pump those bags up and down, so how are you going to find the exact sweet spot every time?

6. Cruiser

Cruiser

The sweet spot is very easy to find every time, when the front is aligned it shows on your gauge. Remember the PSI or place a mark on your gauge. One PSI for driving down the road another for cruising the fair grounds. I love my air ride it gets me into and out of my drive way with ease. Plus, the air ride when dialed in has a great ride flying down the highway. :D

CRUISER :cool:

7. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Once you know how many pounds you run at ride height you don't forget it. Yeah ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure could all affect your PSI minutely but your alignment will be out the first bump you hit (minutely) too. Like the others said, adjust at ride height and roll. You shouldn't have any problems.

8. jdubbya

jdubbya

I put a small mark on the gauge bezel, showing where the best ride quality was, and then had it aligned to that spot... and leaving the mark helped to find the spot each time.

9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

In my Airflow I had the alignment done at 80 LBS on my gauge for driving.I can lower it when I want then raise it to drive.I have 17,000 on it now without any problems. With No unusual tire wear. Like the owners manual says don't jack car up off the ground with full pressure on the bags.I set the floor jack under it then release the pressure in the system so I can jack it up.

10. nathan

nathan
    from minnesota

or get a system like accuair or one of the others that use actual height sensors. works like a charm...

11. choptvan

choptvan

perfectly actually. Accuair that is. But as stated, do it at ride height. YOu will see minumal problems and great preformance.

12. Old Heap

Old Heap

Ride height alignment here as well, no problems.

13. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

After I air up my bags on my 47 , I use a small tape measure that I carry with me to measure the distance from my fender well to the ground . On mine it is 24 1/2 inches . Only takes a second or two and I am always right on the sweet spot . On a long ride ( over 1/2 hour ) I check it every so often . When on the sweet spot my x member is 5 1/2 inches off the ground , when I had it aligned I had the tech put a piece of 2x6 under the x member to keep the truck at ride height as he made his adjustments .

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm having trouble finding a shop to align my Buick with rear bags. All they keep telling me is it is too low and they can't get the heads on the car.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Almost all cars have unequal length control arms. By their nature camber will change with ride height and in most cases toe will too. So set it at driving height and live with it at other heights.

16. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Check out Accuair.com. Their top of the range E-Level kit has sensors that are mounted to your suspension and once set, it will adjust according automatically to retain the preset ride height. If you load the trunk or people get in, it will put more air into the corresponding bags to level back to ride height. This system is the best and takes all the worry out of running air bags. Plus it is very simple to install, all plug and play.

17. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Are you saying the tires are kicked out at the top in the front at ride height? If so that sounds like you have positive camber and need to adjust your upper arms inwards to get your tire level.

You shouldn't need to remove your skirts to get the car aligned.

18. Tin Can

Tin Can

I have taken the car to 2 shops this week, with the rear of the car aired all the way up they can get the heads on it but say the front of the car is too low since the rim is slightly behind the fender lip. I am going to try 2 more shops today or tomorrow. 1 of them that is about 20 miles away said he should be able to do it. Fingers crossed.