Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bellytank build - Power by the Fabulous Flathead Ford V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awelker, Dec 5, 2008.

1. awelker

awelker

Lou, thanks for the compliments. Just saw your question about the tank shape. I have read all the debates on that as well and decided to stick with the original shape, no flat. I don't have anything to compare it to for driving on the salt at speed but at no point did it feel out of control. In fact I was surprised how well it drove. Required very little steering input to keep I. A straight line. Maybe higher speeds would tell a different story.

Andy

2. awelker

awelker

Well I did a quick attempt at putting the YouTube videos on here and failed.

Instead if you want to see them and pictures you can check out our website. Not a whole lot there yet but will be adding more soon with more build pictures and pics from speedweek. Also will have info if you would like to have a Blonde Bitch tshirt to help the cause. The blog page outlines our trip to the salt and experiences there. So check it out and stop back to look for more content.

Check it out at:
    www.vonwelker.com

3. 36tbird

36tbird

Andy, after I posted my question to you, I noticed that I have your telephone # from way back when I was trying to learn how to split open the tank I have. So, I was going to call you sometime and ask. I'm still in the accumulating ideas stage for mine, and I have to finish some other projects before I ever get to it. Wish I would have seen you out there this year in the short stay I was there.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful. 164 sounds pretty fast to me.

5. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

I just saw this thread. Impressive build and attention to detail. I noticed the early Ford sideloader trans. We build these, and have built some for racers. What gears did you run? Did it have the stock closed drive output shaft and u-joint? Were you happy with its performance?

6. awelker

awelker

Thanks Mac. Actually I got parts from you for that trans and whole bunch of parts for a spare that thankfully I did not need to use this year. I can't remember what gears exactly were internal but they are the set that was in the side shift originally that are very close to the L-Z set. It is a stock closed U-joint that couples directly to the quick change rear.

Performance was good, sometimes it was tough to make a quick shift, got some tips on how to help that. I think my car would benefit from an extra gear spaced between 2nd and 3rd. Other than that it worked well and all the pieces stayed on the inside despite 6200 rpm shift and really thin gear oil.

7. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Duh...I didnt put two and two together til I read your last post. I remember you now. I didnt remember the details on what the trans was going into. The thin gear oil might have had something to do with the difficult shift....assuming you meant a slight gear crunch when shifting quickly. On the other hand, I can understand the thin oil for the purpose of this application. Anyway, congrats on the run and hats off to an impressive build job. If there is anything we can do to help on the trans, let me know............. Mac VP

8. Frankie7799

Frankie7799
    from Arizona

Wow what an awesome build thread. That is one sexy bitch Andy. THanks for sharing the build with us!

9. Check this out on the salt....What a outstanding build...Wish I would have got one of the shirts from them.

10. awelker

awelker

Want to help the cause and get a t shirt check them out on our website.

Already scheming how to faster...

11. Andy, I ahve some questions on your canopy..............again!?!

12. noboD

noboD

Thought I'd dig this up for the Jalopy Showdown croud. The Blonde Bitch was at the Showdown and even lifted her skirt so we could see what makes her tick. A real piece of artwork, thanks for bringing it. Bought a T shirt to help out.

13. steve185

steve185

That machine is a work of art. very nice.
    steve

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that sure is a beautiful tank..... i just purchased a tank and i am going to start building mine first of spring....flathead powered also.! you did a great job on your car. the polished body is something you never see!! its perfect. cant compliment you enough.
    love it!! nice to see your from pennsylvania also

15. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya nice old tank there nice work.. she is a bute clark...

16. awelker

awelker

The Blonde Bitch is spending the next few months at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing. If you happen to be in the area stop in, check it out and help support the museum.

Tomorrow April 13th from 1-3pm there will be a round table discussion on Bonneville. Other cars will be there as well as a lot of knowledge.

For info on the museum check out www.emmr.org

Andy

17. awelker

awelker

18. noboD

noboD

Andy, I wish I could be there with you and Dave. Have a family thing I have to do. Did you get the five speed in yet? I will be at B-ville this year.

19. Very cool Andy!

20. patina steve

patina steve

Way to go Andy......!
    Are we going to see you at Bonneville this year ....?
    I will be back again with a new engine ....
    Talk to You Soon Steve

Attached Files:

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Beautiful build.Initial runs sound good.Best to you and yours in the future.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. awelker

awelker

No new transmission yet, but at least I have it all figured out how to make it fit and shift. Only a four speed but when you count the push truck for low gear that makes 5.

Bonneville will need to wait one more year. Steve, the new engine looks good! Reverse flow, dual plug head, individual coils. Looks like you have doing your homework.

23. LKR

LKR
    from Australia

Awesome stuff, you have built a great machine providing much inspiration with your detailed photos.
    Looking forward to seeing it run at Bonneville sometime - keep it up!

Lorenz in Australia

24. awelker

awelker

Well, it's been a long time since I posted an update on here. After a bunch of upgrades, a canceled trip to Bonneville, and a pair of trips to Loring and the Ohio mile, the racing year is behind us.

So now what?? First it's a trip to the Jalopyrama show to show off the new upgrades and help promote the Save the Salt cause here on the east coast.

If you are coming to the Jalopyrama this weekend stop by and check out the Blonde Bitch.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445547422.467720.jpg

Marcia, Rich B. and hotrodderhaag like this.