Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 Coupester Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigd4xman, Apr 23, 2013.

1. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Figured I would get a build thread going on this one and hopefully keep myself motivated and moving on it. Starting with the shed find pics. Was once a coupe but all the top panels are gone so a coupe turned roadster it will probably end up.

I have a clean fuel tank for it or there is another complete cowl included so I have 2 options to repair that, will remove the fenders and start rust repair and body work as well as all the goodies to make her go again and decide where to go from there.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      291.2 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      275 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      224.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

man, you have a lot more of the top than most people have. I bought a sport coupe body about a year ago and had similar plans. The difference was my top was completely gone and the doors were already chopped off. you definitely have enough there to make a really cool sport coupe. they can make for a kick ass hot rod, do some searching before you hack this one up.

ultimately its your car and you should do whatever makes you happy. good luck

3. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Always a chance I could stumble onto a rotted out coupe with a decent top.
    Main things for now will be rust repair and everything to get her driving again.

Anybody have a line on sport coupe tops? Would have to at least chop it.

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

5. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Sounds like a good start, can't wait to see how this turns out...

6. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Dont look to bad, good start...

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

About a top,cuz I'd have a coup if I could;This sounds like work,but not much really, the top panels above the doors are pretty EZ to just make an other part are just bent sheet,the two back top corners can be made from one domed BBQ pit top and rear panel with window isn't vary hard ether=the window is kind of nice if custom anyway,gives a "U" did it mark on the rod. The viser is out there new and they are nice.
    Just giving ideas you may or may not like :D:cool:

8. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Got her home today. Was interesting but simple with the use of a forklift and a couple friends. Going to start with the cowl top as I got one with the car that is in good shape, will cut the tank and cap out of that one and smooth it out good.

9. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Coupesters are a labor of love...you gotta love the idea of what you'll have when you're done and have reasons for doing it. Check out my thread if you want to see how I approached it, or look at TexasSpeed's thread where he's going full bore roadster conversion. I'm sure he'll chime in here soon, all the coupester guys seem to keep up with what the others are doing.

10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

The "new" cowl top, cut the tank out, decided to leave the filler and run a cap, possibly make a little stash tube of sorts out of it. Still have to clan up the edges but not bad for not running a plasma cutter in over 6 years. Threw up a pic of her sitting in my drive also.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      492.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      249 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      392.1 KB
      Views:
  11. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Made a little progress today. I got the body completely off of the frame which was interesting to say the least doing it by myself. What can I say a little determination and a strong back go a long way. Next on the list is to remove the fenders and aprons then start working the frame over.

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      392.5 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      334.2 KB
      Views:
  12. aldixie

aldixie

Keep it a Sport Coupe. Looks like a good start.

13. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I made up my mind after looking at some that it will indeed stay a SPORT COUPE but take 3 or 4 inches off the top.

Went to my local salvage today to check out rear axle options and will be picking up an 8 inch ford. Also got the fenders off and started cleaning up the frame.

14. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Got the frame stripped of its extras and got the 8 inch home and torn down for inspection, clean up and welding of bracketry as well as drilling the backing plates then reassembly with new brake parts and fresh paint.