Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Pedal Car Strollers/Wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nert, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Wicked

Mr Wicked
    from cali

looking great MOTO

2. w.m.w.

w.m.w.

b-bop, do you know where he sourced those wheels?

3. They are front wheels from a Jr Dragster
    I also know that guy

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I built custom spindles with the axle slightly behind the king pin. That way, when you steer the car like you would a stroller or shopping cart, the king pins lead the tire in the right direction. The drawback is that you can't steer the wheels with the steering wheel-there is too much tire drag.

You can't have any positive caster, or it will never go straight. A little negative caster will help it go straight. You must have a tie rod, or the wheels will fight each other.

For an extra trick, the spindles can move up and down on coil sprigs to absorb bumps.

5. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

here is my radio flyer wagon, it has a 125 cc engine with 4 speed. this was the first test drive. its currently being put back together. i had the frame and some other pieces powdercoated gloss black, and the wheels, shifter, and scoop chromed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8baYUEpkQ_U

6. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Got the front and rear ends of the frame shaped up. I drew up a full scale side view of the frame rails on the back side of old blueprint copies to shape and size the 7 pieces that will make up each side of the frame. This will keep the two sides identical +/-:p. Update on the frame coming soon.

Attached Files:

7. daddio211

daddio211

Motodojo, it doesn't look like you have any Ackerman built into your steering. It would probably steer much better with it. Not a criticism, I just see a tremendous amount of quality, well thought out work and the lack of Ackerman kind of stands out.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Squaring the thing up for tapping axle mounts and rear Z portion. Gonna use 5/8" cable clamps for axle perches on the rear...no welding. Since the threads on the u-bolts won't protrude from the top of the frame, I'll grind and shape threaded couplers to recess into over-sized holes in frame.

Attached Files:

9. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Used some aluminum billet to make a "plumb jig" for making holes and tapping plumb or square away from the drill press. This made a huge difference...everyone should take the time to make this tool.
    Gears from some old lathes were pulled from a bin at a local supply shop for "clockwork steering"...now that the axle is mounted.

Attached Files:

10. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Daddio, nice eyes on the Ackerman...or lack thereof. It was a decision I made based solely on aesthetics. I pondered, at length, making use of that geometry , but at the end of the day I wanted the control arms tight to the wheels. Making new control arms and spindles won't take long should I change my mind. Thanks for noting the effort in the details.:D

11. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Just a few little touches left and its all done!

Attached Files:

12. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Very productive weekend. Had to build a perch/pillow block for the shaft mounted miter gears under the frame. Recip. saw, hole saw, and a die grinder. The base plate mounted to the plate coming from the axle is home to the shaft that supports the first gear in the steering set...say it 3 times real fast:confused:. More up dates soon.

Attached Files:

13. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Back to back 3/8" drill chucks for shaft to miter gear...heavy, yes. But this lets me commit less than welding...and it fills the space nicely. The miter gears came from a 90 deg. drill adapter. the gears were pressed on to those 2" shafts and used D-punched holes. Now on to putting the shaft through the frame.

Attached Files:

14. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Got the push bar done. 3/8" rod with socket ends going through the .120 wall tubing...damn....more bushings. The 3/4" tubing tacked to the inside of the fork makes this push option switchable to pull handle very quick and with no tools. A Proto flexible socket extension transfers the twist from push bar to the rod in the chassis at 125 deg.

Attached Files:

15. MOTODOJO

MOTODOJO

Bronx, that is a very cool lil' gasser. Sweet, indeed.

16. cbvw6

cbvw6
    from new york

[​IMG] Completed 32 lo-boy roadster stroller for my son, used 32 roadster body from Wicked Carts.. built custom 32 lo-boy frame, Used many parts from an X Race Kart, Went with a wrap for the Body( Like the race cars use) Fabricated as needed, and Lots of love . Its fun for him and me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's our granddaughter and the Taylor Tot stroller I have been working on at a recent car show

Attached Files:

18. Mr Wicked

Mr Wicked
    from cali

very nice... :D:D

19. fozzy767

fozzy767
    from indiana

Well I'm building this.Thought it was cool till I seen all of these

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      227.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      242 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      314.6 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      228.5 KB
      Views:
  20. fanspete

fanspete

For what it's worth, I think it's cool.

21. fatmattscustoms

fatmattscustoms
    from cypress

I'm almost finished with mine. It has full lights , custom interior and air ride. Oh and I used a real roadster steering column to steer the front wheels from the rear:D...got to be cool for dad to!

Attached Files:

22. fat

fat
    from Tempe, AZ

$30 off of craigslist

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  23. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That's cool. Does the steering wheel work good? Our steering wheel is not connected to the front wheels. It is a prop and a handle to hang on to. We did make the steering column collapsible (see spring) as a safety feature.

[​IMG]

24. fatmattscustoms

fatmattscustoms
    from cypress

I haven't put it on yet but I made a column for his little steering wheel since the original actually functioned. His is just for his amusement and to hang onto! You'll see a large hole cut in the rear of the car, thats where my roadster column inserts and steers the front wheels.

25. fatmattscustoms

fatmattscustoms
    from cypress

There's another forum called 'custom pedal cars?' .I posted pictures before paint of it with the column installed and one with the lift cylinder on the front out, my "air ride." Couldn't get them to post here for some reason.

26. fatmattscustoms

fatmattscustoms
    from cypress

That wagons cool, that's what I'm going to do next. Came across a donated wagon:)

27. fatmattscustoms

fatmattscustoms
    from cypress

Finished!

Attached Files:

28. Tcab

Tcab

Here is the rebuilding of the Flyer, this was awhile ago. The Grandson enjoys riding and playing with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

All done and he loves it!

Attached Files:

30. fatmattscustoms

fatmattscustoms
    from cypress

That's awesome Bronx!