Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice needed --sbc to old ford tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cars5752, May 13, 2013.

1. cars5752

cars5752

Need some ideas: I have an old sprint car with a 1966 327 small block chevrolet that connected to a 1937 ford three speed tranny. Throw out bearing was singing, thus removed tranny and had TO bearing and a new retainer for the bearing installed. Put it all back together and was ready to go to some vintage events. Problems??? Clutch is slipping. All was fine prior to this. Took off inspection plate on the old transmission and can see the throw out bearing spinning while car is running and out of gear. Sure could use some advice as to whats going on. Many thanks, Dave

can email if you'd like -- [email protected]

2. F&J

F&J

You need to adjust the freeplay. The bearing should not touch the pressure plate fingers while the pedal is all the way up.

we don't know what pedals/pieces were used on a specific build, so if you can't figure how to reset it, put up some pics of the pedal and any linkage parts.

3. cars5752

cars5752

Thanks, only adjustment we had was a clevis pin and we ran the rod to full length. Clutch still slipping.

4. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

did you put in the same height t.o bearing as g.m has a long and short style

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You could disconnect the clevis pin, and make sure the throwout bearing and fork can travel back, far enough to give clearance between the bearing and clutch fingers. You should be able to perform this test without the engine running, and looking through the inspection hole. If that is OK then you will have to fab linkage to the correct length to have freeplay as F&J suggested. Please post some pics of the car, we would love to see it!

6. cars5752

cars5752

I found an older gentleman in our area to put in the new TO bearing and the one I got and a standard one for a 37 Ford Trans. I don't have to old one to compare it to. After taking out the transmission, I noticed the fork that pushed it forward, had on both prongs a brazed in section probably about 1/2 inch thick, which obviously places the bearing closer to the clutch. Now after all together and looking through the inspection plate, regardless of what I do adjustment wise with the clevis and rod, it appears the TO bearing is touching the top prong (all I can see) on the clutch. The man who originally did all this has passed. Do you think there is a chance he used a different TO bearing that was narrower. Terrible mess I'm in. I'll try and attach a photo of the car and one of the tranny prior to new TO bearing. Sure appreciate any advise. Getting ready to pull motor and examine everything???

Attached Files:

7. cars5752

cars5752

Here's photo of transmission prior to new TO bearing installed. Notice the brazing on fork?????

Attached Files:

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

yea, that's gotta come back out I'm afraid...

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great looking car Dave, looks like an easy fix, if you cannot find an unmolested fork locally, I will send you one. Dick Spadaro should have that part. While you have it apart, you should check the cross shaft and bushings for wear. Good luck, post some action pics when you get it fixed!

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also look over how Ford throwout contacts Chevy fingers...the Ford part is bigger diameter than most GM stuff and does not contact the fingers right with many setups. Commonest old style fitment was Chevy flywheel with '49-50 Merc pressure plate, which solves all of those problems. That blasted plate is now fairly hard to find.
    I don't think there are any common throwouts other than normal '35-48 Ford that will go on there. Maybe some '60's big spline Ford truck or big spline performance 4 speeds?

11. F&J

F&J

I can't see the bearing very good with my monitor. I almost see a adjustment stop at the top of the bearing? Probably my eyesight

anyways, if you do pull it out; you can take measurements off of the trans bell edge, to the TOB face.

Do the same with the sbc adapter bell edge to the tips of the fingers.

compare both numbers and you can tell what clearance will be at the bearing at wherever you adjust the rod to. I was able to do that with an early Olds engine to a 40 Ford trans, and actually adjusted the rod before the engine went in; and it did not need adjusting later.