Register now to get rid of these ads!

paying for your habits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60widewhitez, Aug 3, 2011.

1. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I have an off topic car I built and don't drive much, it is at my dads shop and I've been thinking of selling. Only to finance a '60 GMC truck I got last week. The car is worth roughly 10 K, and my girlfriend, not wife, thinks that WE should be using the money on HER house, not car related things. I built the car with my own money, tools and hands before we started dating 4 years ago, now she thinks because we live together any car I sell she is entitled to the money.
    I work an 8-5 upholstery job, then side upholstery work in the evenings and weekends for extra money to do the things I want, but she does not understand old cars. She likes the idea of having them, but certainly not the work involved in it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. BRQ4suzyqkustoms

BRQ4suzyqkustoms

They say the first step is admitting your addiction. Here in SoCal if you want to buy a house you can plan on a $4k/mo housing expense. Unless you already have one! We rent a house and I have some money left to play with my toys. I buy and sell whatever I can find to supplement my income, from Hot Rods to Hot Wheels. It's a slow process to build your dream ride. but don't let the dream die. I'm building # 50! right now.
    FlatblackFlathead, I would recommend looking on CL for a garage to rent instead of letting your shoebox go.

3. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I do lots of parts trading as well as buying and selling motorcycles. Tax time is my Christmas, Father's Day, and Birthday all in one as usually that is when we have money to spend. Swap meets and yard sales or auctions are also my friend.

4. pontiac

pontiac

I have to work 2 jobs 7 days a week.. I haven't had a day off since April 11th - just over a month ago. My full time job does nothing but pay all the bills and buy groceries. My second job gives us some money to do things with.

I also run a few websites which generate revenue (not a whole lot). I also buy/sell/trade parts from time to time and pick up some mechanic side jobs when I have time.

I make sure my bills are paid and my family is taken care of first, if there's anything left I may do something to my car or start saving up to get something I want to work on my car.

5. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

although I have had a project since 15 (now 45) My current one was put on hold in around 1996 , 4 years after buying it and using it as my daily driver. Buying a house and raising kids left no extra money. in 2008 I was in a positon to start working on it again and making decent money. Now It's part of the budget, when the overtime hits I stay in my budget and bank the money and use it when work slows down. It is coming along slow but steady. last big purchase were the front and rear seat rebuild at $1,200.00 saved up over a 3 month period of overtime work. the wife is very understanding of the car junkie lifestyle but like was said earlier. have to put priorities first and car second.

6. Squablow

Squablow

There's the kind of guys who lie to their women under the assumption that it will help them move their project along, and there's the kind of guys who are honest with their families and will be happy to swoop in to buy the first guy's project in the inevitable divorce sale.