Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever seen a Packard V8 street rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PackardV8, Jan 3, 2008.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOW! Amazing what turns up on here sometimes.

2. I had a 51 Olds 88 it got a 352 Packard in 1955. then a full race 374 in 1956. It was a legend around Monrovia/Pomona. I sold it in 65-66 and never heard or seen it since

Attached Files:

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  3. Normbc9

Normbc9

There is one with a Latham Axial Flow blower in a '73 Avanti here in my area. It isn't a slouch either. Very string and a great handling vehicle. Ir is his Sunday Cruiser he and his wife enjoy.
    Normbc9

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I really want a big packard V-8. I think they are about the best looking fifties overhead out there. Dont know what I'm gonna do with one, but I really want one. Guess I'd need another car...:rolleyes::p

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

5 year old post, awesome.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I know a fellow that Hot Rodded a Packard, but it's powered by a 460 Ford.

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

39 Chev coupe with 374 Packard back in earky 60s
    Lay rubber till yer mom called you home for supper

8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

My first girl friend's (step) dad would talk to me ( and I to him, annoying GF and her Mom) for hours about cars and motorcycles and his Gyro gearloose mechanical and electronic projects. Always built on the cheap or even free, and rarely getting more than about 20% done. He often talked about a car he had built before he was married, near Peoria Illinois I think. Some kind of Studebaker coupe. maybe even a Hawk. Bored and Stroked. Lots of carburetors. Guard rail beams added in the doors. Every story was a bit more technically exotic than the last, just right to enthrall teenaged me, but I'd bet it was at least half true. Now I'm thinking maybe it was a Packard engine. RIP Mr Young.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Could very well be, since '56 Golden Hawks came with 352 Packard V8s from the factory.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That car rules. I've seen it before somewhere. Theres a float in the gas tank with an antenna on it sticking out of the gas cap. When the tank is full, antenna is up!

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, I have!

Attached Files:

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Holy Shit Troy, those valve covers, that car!
    Flyinbrian, yours?

Mine, last Sunday at the drags.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Not a street rod but a hot rod....... There used to be an old guy (I'm talking late 80's/early 90 year old) who lived in or around Oil City Pa. and had a turquoise 37 Packard coupe with a Packard V8. I last saw him and the car maybe ten years ago at a car show that was held in conjunction with the Apple Festival in Franklin Pa. The old fellow was sitting in a chair behind his coupe with the trunklid open. Laying in the trunk was what looked to me like an old U-Fab six carb intake that looked like it had been run on the V8. At the time it was running a factory four barrel intake. I understand that back in the fifties he drag raced the car. He has since passed on and I haven't seen his coupe since although I believe he has a son who drove him in it toward the end. Somebody on here closer to that area may have more information about the old fellow and his car.

Earlier this year I ran across a fellow in Ohio who had picked up two 56 Packard 352's and had them stashed inside a shed. He wanted $500 for the pair and he claimed that one of them ran. But before I could get back to him or even tell anybody else about them, some punk kids broke into another one of his buildings and stole some other car parts. He was so pissed that he loaded a truck with a bunch of his remaining parts, including the two Packards and scrapped them!

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anybody have more pics of this car?? I found the engine shot somewhere, thought it was drop-dead gorgous, I've never seen pics of the car. REALLY want to see it.

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Seems like there were a couple of fuel dragsters in the Northwest with Packards. Rich Fox would probably remember.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There were, actually gas I think. IIRC, Ted Cyr raced one in the late fifties as well. That may have been a fueler.

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

By popular demand, here's the beautiful 20-something Dodge RPU cradling that Packard mill. The car is STUNNING, heavily massaged cowl, intricate detailing inside and out. Seen at Relix Riot 2012. I spoke with the owner quite a while.

Sadly, it's not mine...

Brian

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOW! Man, that IS cool! Yea, sure is too bad we revived this old thread, what a waste of time...:rolleyes:;)

[​IMG]

19. Troy Gemmer

Troy Gemmer

What a memory you have! That's my car! Here's a picture of the gas gauge attached. Do you remember anything else about the car's origins or where you saw it? I'm trying to gather up the history on it. Evan at Totalcostinvolved thought it might have been a Gene Winfield creation when he saw the chassis setup, but I contacted him and he didn't recognize it. The car also has frenched antennas going out the side in front of the driver's door that look like laser guns :)
    Appreciate any feedback

Attached Files:

20. pdq67

pdq67

Jack,

We really need to figure out how to make a Siamese(Sp?) bore Packard or the Cad 500 out of something like ductile iron so that we can bore them past 4.75"s.

Or figure out how to take the old 534 MEL Super Duty 5.25" bore centered OLD big truck Ford engine down to like 680 to 700 pounds or so..

21. Troy Gemmer

Troy Gemmer

Nice looking truck

22. Troy Gemmer

Troy Gemmer

Looked up Rock Moffett and it looks like he passed away this last year...

23. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

This was raced at Maple Grove in the late 60's by my father, uncle and grandad. We'd love to get it back if anyone knows its where-abouts... It later received a Hemi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Zerk

Zerk

That little coupe is a knockout!

25. Razcars

Razcars
    from PA.

I saw a nice 37 packard body and thought about putting a 55 packard v8 I have in that. but it got sold before I could get the chance. Now I'm thinking of what other body would be interesting, henry J ??? some year of Studebaker??

26. 'Mo

'Mo

Anything you put it in would be interesting. Fabian Valdez' '50 Chevy is a stunner, but what puts it over the top is the Stude V8. Any Packard powered early Ford would get my attention!

BTW, I remember an article in HRM in the 60's, in which a Packard powered '37 Chevy sedan
    actually won the Pike's Peak Hill Climb! 4 carbs on a U-Fab manifold. I've never forgotten it!

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'd like to see this on in something. I believe it belongs to packardV8 here on the HAMB. Who is the OP for this thread and id holding out on us.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  28. sololobo

sololobo

We have a great 41

Studebaker Chanpion tudor in the Omaha area powered by a Paxton huffed Packard. This dude was one of the areas best circle track racers from a ways back. His name escapes my feeble old mind right now, Frank ?, he and his wife are super cool folks. ~sololobo~

29. Agentx66x

Agentx66x

30. aircap

aircap

That motor gives me a chubby.