Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tip o trick to removing old dash pad foam / glue?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Sep 2, 2012.

1. solo_909

solo_909

So I removed the dash pad off my 63 and I have foam and glue still on the dash that didn't come off. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on removing this stuff without scratching up the metal dash underneath?

Thanks,
    George

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Try some 3M Adhesive Remover available at your local auto parts or auto paint store.

3. solo_909

solo_909

Thanks, I took a trip to homedepot and picked up some spray goo gone and it with a little soaking and 5 hours of scrubbing it's clean as a whistle
    Lol. Man that was a messy job!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I used one of those 4 inch razor scrapers for floors from home depot on my bro's 63. It worked like a champ for most of it, the rest sanded off pretty easily. I didnt want to soak it with anything and yes, very messy.

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Just a general comment, when you buy that goo-gone stuff you are paying a godawful amount of money per ounce for regular solvent that can be bought MUCH cheaper in a gallon can.

Everyone should just keep a one gallon can of VM&P Naptha around for these purposes. You can get a steel 1 gallon can with a screw on lid for about $12-14 at a Menards or Sherwin Williams store. VM&P Naptha solvent is one step stronger than Mineral Spirits and is perfect for removing road tar, sticker residue, etc from paint, plastic, metal, etc. It is one of the strongest solvents you can get that will leave your paint intact.

It is great for many, many purposes around the house. Do a little quick math on how much you pay for a little 4 oz bottle of goo-gone and you will be amazed at the per gallon price... probably something like $80-90 plus per gallon!

Of course, for any chemical, read the MSDS first and make sure you have the right safety equipment, knowledge and environment to use it without hurting yourself.

6. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

This reminds me of the time I worked at a hobby shop, some guy walked up to the counter with a little three ounce bottle of testors mineral spirits that cost almost six bucks. I told him he could get a whole gallon at the paint store next door for about four more bucks

7. solo_909

solo_909

Awesome, I used a plastic paint knife and I soaked it so I wouldn't scratch up the paint under the adhesive. I was just trying to remove the pad so I can keep or original color of the metal dash underneath.

8. solo_909

solo_909

Sounds great, I apreciate the wisdom. I'll keep it in mind for future clean ups.

9. weez

weez

I took the stock dash pad glue off my '63 Comet with frickin' hot water and a mild dish scrubber! Without harming the paint, I might add-

Years later, I'm having a hell of a time getting non-stock 70's upholstery shop glue off of the same kind of dash on the Comet I have now. Soak, scrape and scrub, repeat...

10. Fenders

Fenders

If you only need a little naphtha, buy lighter fluid.

11. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

wire wheel on your angle grinder is the fastest and easiest. And no chemicals to inhale or deal with. Get the wire wheel cup. Lasts much longer.

12. HotRodAV8

HotRodAV8
    from Seattle Wa

use fire,could take everything down... but the glue will be gone!

13. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

One of the best non-traditional goo removers I have found is the orange air freshener they sell at Wal Mart.

Thin, white / orange aluminum spray can.

I guess it is Orange Oil. Will cut a lot of the glue and stuff (old concession stand grease, too!!!) better than some of the other I have tried.

Take care, K

14. Peanut butter .... smells good and works bitchen.... and the citrus gel mentioned above.

15. InPrimer

InPrimer

try using a nylon "wire "wheel it's strong enough it will not scratch the paint if you use it with light pressure Ck out HF they have them for about$3.