Register now to get rid of these ads!

saving 52/54 Ford parts for a 30 Ford build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dccd, Apr 24, 2013.

1. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

Just looking for some advice for building a 30 Ford. I was recently given an all original 52 Ford and 54 Ford to do what I want with them from a relative. They're both 4 doors, so I'm really not interested in reduilding either one. Both cars have been parked for years outside.

Aside from being cautious regarding the motors, what should I try to salvage from either one for a future 30 Ford I'm considering? I am thinking of pulling the flathead from the 52 along with the tranny and rearend. The 54 has the original Y block motor in it along with the tranny and everthing else. Should I forget the rearend and go a different route? I'd like to use as much from each as I could just from a cost standpoint.

Thoughts or ideas? Both cars are in fair shape and still have a lot of good parts on them for anyone needing them.

2. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

Just wanted to re-post to see if I'd get any responses. Wanting to start yanking parts off this month and would love to hear from some of you as to you opinion of saving anything from either the 52 or 54 for a Model A build.

3. Lots of folks could probably use most everything.If all sheetmetal is good
    please dont scrap any.

ems customer service likes this.
  4. For some reason I thought I had replied to this thread,,nothing wrong with the Y block or flathead.

The Y block will be less expensive to rebuild,,as for the rear axles the 54 will have a semi-floating hypoid differential.

Ford offered 3 different rear axle ratios in 1954 depending on the transmission that was in the car.

A 3 speed cars came with a 3.09 gear,while cars with overdrive had a 4.10 to 1 ratio and the Ford-O-Matic came with 3.31 to 1 gears.

3.08 w/170 CID and SelectShift/Semi Automatic & 3-speed
    2.83 SelectShift & standard 3-speed
    3.00 was offered for standard 3-speed and automatic

5. reallyrotten

reallyrotten

save any orginal sheet metal that may be good for the 52 and 54 there isnt much repo parts out there for them.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Rims, steering wheel and column, maybe a dash, plus the obvious drivetrain stuff is all I can think of that you'd use from those cars onto a Model A. Maybe save roof skins and big areas of sheetmetal to make floor pans and patch panels. But those cars part out really well, especially good hood hinges and bumpers/grilles with half way decent chrome on them.

Your best bet is to meticulously part out both cars after you've pulled what you want to keep off, I wouldn't doubt you could get $5K or more out of the pair (depending on condition) if you take your time to do it right.

7. If I remember correctly 1954 was the first year for the Y block. It was 239 cubic inches. The later ones were 272, 292 and 312 inches. The are probably a lot of small things that are unique to the 1954 engine that you should understand before you jump in. Since the basic engine is just a small part of the cost I would start with a 312. If you want a flat head, the '52 engine should be a good starting point. If the transmissions are automatics they would probably not be a good choice.

Charlie Stephens

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Charlie just said exactly what I was going to say

9. Why not fix one up to a runner and sell it for $2500 instead of destroying it and scrapping what's left for $250? Then you have money to spend on your '30 Model A, you get a little practice, and someone gets a cool old driver they can have fun with.

10. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Pics of the cars would help to let us know if it worth keeping anything.