Register now to get rid of these ads!

***** tech week, step by step to lace/flake/candies/patterns/custom paint *****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryno, May 11, 2013.

1. that is the CRAZIEST truck EVER!!!!!!!!!!

2. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!!!

3. ryno

ryno

that came out great. black base is a good color for most flake if you cant get a like color to match your flake, gives it more dimension.

im not aware of any brand of flake in the states that comes pre mixed in liquid form like you said, but I could just not know. results look good though.

if you do the flake and lace like you mentioned, you will lose your lace patterns with the flake, as it is not transparent. you'll want to do your flake work first and lace on top. good luck.

4. ryno

ryno

thanks for all the kind words fellas.
    remember to vote next week!

5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice tech post, it certainly takes the mystery out of the process. I have a soapbar fridge I need to practice on soon. Thanks.

6. budd

budd

wow thats crazy, how many hours? i think i'm haveing an acid flashback

7. Ob1

Ob1

Someday I'd like to tackle something remotely close to that...until then, I'll have to continue the panel work that pays the bills, and the occasional something special.

A presentation piece for a sick girl, will be signed and re cleared by participants of a motorcycle benefit ride.

[​IMG]

Started off like this...

[​IMG]

8. ev88f

ev88f

This is some awesome work. Thanks for sharing the details!

9. n847

n847

Well I hope you like metal shaping products...cause you've got my vote...

10. Holy Fuck!!!!

That was the most informative paint techniques I have ever seen. The documentation was incredible.

I love it all!!!

BloodyKnuckles

11. ryno,

i have a question say you want to lace a panel that has an emblem init and you want to keep the emblem and make the lace look torn around the emblem is there a way to pull this off ?

12. ryno

ryno

well, yes I do!
    that's why I sent 3 hrs doing this post. thanks

thanks man.

hit up your local sign shop. give them the dimensions of your emblem or space you want to keep neutral, and with the desired tear or effect you want. make sure they use a low grade adhesives film, stick it on, lay down you lace spray your color and then lift it all off, exposing your lace with a negative emblem. if you do not have a local shop that can handle this, I have a source that can, and will ship it too you.

13. Damn that is some snazzy paint brother! Frickin' awesome li'l farm truck.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Damn. I sprayed this with craft store spray glitter over a gold base.....I thought it looked good. But now, not so sure. HAHA!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Excellent post! Thanks! I totally dug seeing your truck in person last week at the SK500 and spent a fair amount of time looking at all the details. Pictures don't do it justice!

16. ryno

ryno

thanks fellas!

should have said hi!
    thank you.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

As my .02 addition. When doing lace on a curved surface if I cant pull it tight and tape it. sometimes ill get it a bit damp, and let the water weight hold it down. otherwise ill throw a tack coat of mid clear on it and let that hold down the lace. Then you dont have to worry about adhesive sticking around when you pull the lace. great tutorial though.
    Did you shoot the kandies straight, or mix them into the clear?

18. ryno

ryno

I've used the water and lite clear tack trick also before, but most the time I don't have clear ready when doing the graphic stage. thanks for mentioning them though! it was late and I've been putting off siting down for the hrs involved in doing this so im sure there is other tips that I have forgotten along the way, and of course everyone has a different way, which is how well learn!

a color binder/ intercoat clear was used with the candy concentrates from house of kolor with all the candy work.

19. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

You just bribed me for my vote with lace and candy. Kind of like a real election.:D
    Amazing, great tech thread.

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

21. chigger

chigger

Awesome. I assume the candies get shot with the smaller tip? Is there guidelines as per top size to what should be shot through it? I realize flake needs a big tip, but does micro flake need the size tip as boat flake?, or would it "blotch"? I have always wanted to see/ do this when painting. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. ryno

ryno

awesome!
    thanks

most of the candy is sprayed threw a 1.3or 1.4 tip.
    smaller flake, depending on the amount you mix into your liquid can be sprayed with a 1.8 and up, obliviously the bigger stuff will require a bigger tip. you'll notice really quickly if you have too small of a tip. it will clog up as soon as you trigger it.

a few ways to help with the clogging, is to throw a couple nuts in the cup and keep the flake consentient in motion. as soon as you let it sit still, the flake will settle and clog. you need to keep it suspended to get even flow.

but to answer your question, no there is no guide line in doing any of this. that's why it custom paint! everyone has their own way. gather as much info as you can, and when your feeling like you have a good idea, go try some panels out, you'll learn quickly that its easy, till you get stuck on something, then you'll gain a whole new appreciation for it.

23. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Great post. I've wondered how some of those effects were achieved. One effect I remember seeing in the seventies was a "string look" for lack of a better way to describe it. It looked like the paint was sprayed really thick and it had a string spatter type look. I thought it was pretty cool at the time but haven't seen it for years. Does that make sense to any knowledgeable effect painters?

24. laydout36

laydout36
    from Texas

Awesome Tech for dammm sure....

25. LOL I woulda, but there wasn't anyone right by the truck when I was looking at it. There were a couple of guys talking nearby, so I didn't want to interrupt and ask if either one of them was you. Generally, when I do that I end up getting that, "Uh, no dork, I'm not" look and response. LOL Next time I'll risk it. :)

26. Great post Ryno very informative. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I think you may be thinking of cobwebbing. I believe it was done by spraying lacquer that had not been reduced enough so it came out of the gun like thin string or cobwebs.

27. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Yeh, K13. That sounds like what I'm referring to. I had a buddy with a Mustang that was panel painted with the cobwebb effect that looked pretty trick for the day. Don't see it used anymore.

28. I don't much about custom paint but I wonder if the paints today are not as conducive to getting the effect as the older paints.

29. 5lam

5lam

I have been wanting to give this sort of thing a go for a few years now, but it wasn't until I happened upon your build thread that it inspired me to give it a go.
    You're right, everyone will have a slightly different technique, or develop their own way of going about it. I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I need more candies to play around with!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You've got my vote!!