Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early FE stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatordead, May 7, 2013.

1. Who besides MAC's or kanter sells a new cam shaft and water pump for a 1959 352? Plenty of 60's parts on the market but no 58-61 stuff. Cam could be stock or mild.

2. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Is your engine out and torn down or still in the car? Ford changed the manner in which cam thrust was handled in 1963. They changed from a thrust button to a thrust plate. It used to be common to change the earlier motors to the later thrust set up. You will need the thrust plate of course and the cam of your choice. Seems like there may have been a kit offered for this. The oil galleys on the early motor will need the soft plugs removed and then tapped for the bolts which retain the plate. Obviously, you will need your motor to the point where all the chips can be cleaned out of the galleys.
    Caution, it's been a long, long time, so research this to the best of your ability before you order parts are start tapping holes.
    Good luck,
    Farmalldan

3. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Not sure what was different about the water pumps, but I think the shaft length changed. I'm pretty sure later pumps fit the block, but I'm not sure about belt alignment. Later pumps may also have additional bosses for accessories. As I recall, every thing on the front of a 390 bolted to the water pump in some fashion. Changing water pumps was hell on a fully loaded Galaxie. You might be able to adapt a later pump with some sheave substitution or maybe maching on the front of the shaft.
    Again, it's been too long to depend on my failing memory.

4. You might try contacting a cam grinder company direct to see if they can custom grind you one off of an FE cam blank.

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

6. Mummert

Mummert

Re grinding the original is an option. For some reason I think we have an NOS early style cam at the shop. Ill have to check on that.

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

As farmalldan alluded to. Buy a late (post 1964) camshaft and get the cam thrust plate from Survival Motorsports. It is an easy swap, all you will have to do is tap a couple of holes that are already in the block next to the camshaft bore for the thrust plate to bolt to.

http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/FEValvetrain.html

As for the water pump, Summit sells remans for early FE's and I would think your local NAPA, Auto Value, etc would too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-58-201/applications/make/ford?prefilter=1

Good Luck

8. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Napa lists a reman pump for the 352. Not sure if there are any NAPA stores in Germany, but they have a purchase online and ship option.

9. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Napa lists a reman for the '59 352. There probably aren't any NAPA stores in Germany, but they offer online ordering and shipping.

10. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

The only place I could find the long shaft waterpump for my '58 Bird was Cardone. I had to send them my pump. It wasn't cheap but being a rebuilt factory unit, it fit a hell of alot better than the new chinese pump that Macs Antique sold me. Google them and youll find it.

11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I didn't catch the Germany part. That does make using a local NAPA a bit more difficult. :(

12. Ok thanks guys for all the tips, especially for the cam swap.
    I think I'm on my track now with all the informations.
    The HAMB is always a good place for stuff like that.

13. rdtreur

rdtreur

I had a old style Cam in my '64 390 and swaped it for a new style. I used a camplate from wrecked fe ( yes I found one near Amsterdam, the netherlands:))

The timing set is also diffirent on a new-style cam so you need step up to a new style timing set as well!
    Good luck from A fellow " Euro Hamber"