Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Y Block Boat Motor Interceptor? What am I looking at here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, May 9, 2013.

1. I saw this in a wrecking yard today. It appears to be a Y-block (I think, mostly going by the valve covers) and judging by the manifolds and that it's bolted to a piece of rotty wood, out of a boat.

The front timing cover reads "Interceptor" and it's got quite the intake and carb setup with Carter side-draft carbs in the valley.

Any idea what it is, or if it's worth anything? I'm sure it's set up and it's been laying here in the elements for some time.

Whoops, forgot to attach the photos the first time.

Attached Files:

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'll give you $50 for the water outlets, intake, and carbs... :rolleyes:

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

That would just about MAKE a Chriscraft.

4. Well, that would pay for the gas to drive to where it is.

If it's that desirable I'll shoot right up and take it apart or grab the whole thing, but this place the stuff isn't cheap, even laying out like this, so I need to know more about just what it is.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

high comp heads- $
    intake and carbs $
    save it-

6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

It is a Y block Ford...late 50s I think...the front cover and some of the other boat stuff is worth some dough on Ebay...the intake uses two sidedraft Carter carbs..kind of like the ones used on the '53-'54 Corvette and later Corvair Turbos...the intake needs to be run with that particular valley cover so if you just take parts dont forget that. The rest of the engine is just Ford Y block...I have sold similar intake setups in the past for a few hundred bucks...it would be cool to run that on a car or a belly tanker or something with clearance issues. The intake is all aluminum so will polish up neat too...

7. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a beautiful black 32-34 Ford PU with a Y-Block running that setup, I've seen the pix somewhere on here.

8. You've convinced me to try to grab it next time I am at this place. Which should be soon, buddy has to go pick up some things he bought.

9. I'd be pulling the pan to see if it's a 312...

10. Look at the distributor too...could be a tach drive

11. Distributor looks like they bent it.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think you can look at the 5/16 hole in the crank and not have to take it apart

13. TERPU

TERPU

Ha HA, they all look like that. That's a great score, bring it home before you find out if it's a 312 or not. Prices go up when you start revealing the good stuff. Stop by the carwash on your way home and then tear it apart.

Good Score,

Tim

14. The distributors stick out at an angle like that

15. I heave heard something like that, but without seeing ECZ I dunno

16. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Bring it home!!! The intake, carbs and heads alone would probably be well worth the asking price.

17. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I had an early jet boat with one of those in it dont remember it reving to high, very primitive setup on jet drive with gate to control speed some what and reverse the boat
    I think it would be worth the carbs if they are not full of water n scale

18. MP&C

MP&C

You see the intakes for sale quite a bit, but the water necks never seem to be part of the package. Looks like you have the whole deal there, may be worth bringing home..

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My dad had a 64 Pearson fiberglass cabin cruiser with twin screw. Two of these side by side. one was normal and the other was reverse rotation. Be careful you may need a lot of engine parts before it will work in an automotive setting. The side draft carbs were used to keep them under the deck. IIRC they were 292s and rarely ran high RPMs. They are different but I would not expect much performance from them. He loved his. He could put one in forward and the other in reverse and spin it around standing still and then back it into the slip when he got it lined up.

20. Most of those Y Block boat engines that I have taken apart would be better served as boat anchors.

If it was a saltwater engine-chances are its done.

$100.00 is all I would gamble.

The intake stuff is worthless except to a die hard.Might get a good 312 crank out of it.

Thats my story and I"m stickin to it.

Oldmics

21. I believe this was in a wooden boat, there's still a couple pieces of wood bolted to it.

Given where it's located, saltwater use is highly unlikely.