Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dodge Military 6 cyl flathead help won't start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbtcop, Nov 18, 2010.

1. refried confusion

refried confusion

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. You probably already know about vintage power wagon in Iowa. They sell everything for civilian and military power wagons.

I have an m-37 1952 model. Still has 24 volt system, water proof spark plug wires I wish I had the snorkel kit and the exhaust pipe that is a stack that daylights above the cab.

The 24 volt headlights are kind of expensive.

3. jbtcop

jbtcop
    from Ohio

Not aware of the place in Iowa we use Mephis Equipment in TN but I'll check them out. I assume they have a web page. Thanks

4. Doctor Injector

Doctor Injector

I have been following this post. Glad to see you got it running. Would love to see some pic's of that big old Dodge if you get a chance.

5. jbtcop

jbtcop
    from Ohio

6. You say you have gas running out the crankcase vent tube??? You are getting gas into the crankcase from somewhere!

7. jbtcop

jbtcop
    from Ohio

We got her fixed, the float valve was stuck!

8. Doctor Injector

Doctor Injector

That looks cool, thanks for posting a pic.

9. vandanelzen

vandanelzen
    from Michigan

Thanks guys! This thread led me to the exact fix I needed. The truck was filling the trap between the air filter and the carb. The comment about pulling out the float stopper right at the inlet was dead on and was such an easy fix. I wish I hadn't bought the entire carb rebuild kit now.

One question though: is the needle really supposed to be just a metal tip? Other carbs I have worked on had rubber tips to seal the inlet.

10. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Yes, just a metal tip. You use your fingers to make the adjustment, never a screwdriver as that would apply too much torque and damage the needle.

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I Bet that's a cool truck

12. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

John Bizal at Mid west Military, in Minnesota, he has the parts and knowledge about the M 37,M38 and the Jeep and Command Cars.
    If you still have the Ew series carb on it those don't have a mechinal acc pump it is a vacume set up.

13. Damn,,,an M37 army truck. I have many a sore spot on me from working on those damn things way back whe. When I was in the good ol US Army. Best thing that happened to most of those were that the Germans blew the shit out of most of em. Ever try to open the drivers door on one with that spare tire bolted on? Heavy as shit huh? Try turning the wheel when not moving,,,impossible.

I hated the one I was assigned to..... :)

fur biscuit likes this.
  14. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

How about getting into a Command car with the spare tire bolted to the drivers side running board,you always have to get in from the pass side.