Register now to get rid of these ads!

Use of OEM spare wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluedot, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bluedot

Bluedot

I hesitate to ask this, because it's not traditional, but I highly respect the opinion of HAMBers, and I'm betting somebody has looked into this. (I couldn't find a thread on it.)
    There are OEM aluminum spare tire wheels, some of which actually look pretty good. Would make good skinnies on the front of some hotrods. But the manufacturers place a cautionary label on them saying not only that the tire is only for temporary use (and not over 50mph), but also that the wheel should not be re-used, ie don't mount another tire on it. Now it could be said that they just wanna sell another wheel, or that the lawyers make them be overly cautious. But when it comes to wheel safety, I don't want maybe's or even probably's. I want to be sure it is safe.
    On another forum, I've had several fellas tell me that they've seen them run on street and strip with no problems, but I still have my doubts. The wheel I'm looking at is mid-90s Mustang, pic attached. I would trash the tires and use 165 15s.
    Anybody care to offer assurances or scare me away?

Attached Files:

2. ryno

ryno

i saw your post over on the duck board.
    i think id just look at the construction of the wheel.is it 2 pieces? one piece? check the welds etc.... maybe have the thickness measured at the wheel center and lug area.
    i'm betting the wheel would be fine,its the shitty tires they put on there that gets the cautions,and the lawyers as you mentioned. we have all seen the guy with the spare that reads 50 mph only ,doing 80 down the hwy with them on.

3. I'm guessing they don't want people monkeying with them cause some idiot somewhere would try to mount a pair of 305/75/15's on them and end up killing himself in a blow-out roll over.

I'm also guessing that they couldn't send them out unless they were safe. The tire has a disclaimer. If the wheel wasn't safe, it would too. With a small street tire, I bet you're fine.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. They are forged Aluminum, Kent Fuller has some on his streamliner.

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

I love to see one, but never did....the 89-90 (?) era Mercury Grand Marquis & maybe Lincoln Town car or the Crown Vic Ford 16" aluminum spare wheel. Does anyone out there have a pic? I'm running regular steel (Mopar) 16" spare wheels & really like them. The nice part about it is that they are usually unused & true when you find them. I always liked those Mustang ones, Blue dot, ...skinny & plain. I'd go for it if I were you.

[​IMG]

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  6. Was a roadster in a mag using the crown Vic spare. Looked great.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is no way that wheel is less safe than a vintage wire wheel or even a steel wheel rivited together 60-70 years ago.

8. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Quite a few "po boy" racers are using them as front runners on their drag cars.. just change the tires and away they go!

9. Folks have been using newer GTO and CTS spares as drag wheels for a few years on late model GM cars.

10. kingpins

kingpins

they look awesome to me. ive used them on a few cars and they will hold up to any speed you want with proper tires. chevy s-10 front spares and crown vic spares in the rear

Attached Files:

11. kingpins

kingpins

only down side is you cant put caps on them. upside...they are 10 bucks each at scrap yards and are in great shape usually

12. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

We need a list of apps with bolt patterns.

Is there a 5 lug x 4.5" bolt pattern?

I was thinking using one for what they are made for - a spare tire for the Dart.

;)

13. kingpins

kingpins

5 lug 4.5 pattern will be on crown vics...94,95,96 and simular models made by ford
    5 lug 4.75 pattern will be on s-10 on 84-2004(some may have holes around the rims and some dont) and simular models from GM.

all spare rims listed will be 16x4.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    ShakeyPuddin55 likes this.
  14. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

We call them St. Clair county mags here......

38fordpickup likes this.
  15. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Here are my forged aluminum space saver spares....

16" X 4"
    5 X 4.5 Ford/Mopar bolt circle

I have found 9 of them in junk yards but I don't know what to do with them.
    I have a 2 litre Alfa engine and 5 spd. trans. so I'm considering building a 50s style road racing "special".

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Black Primer

Black Primer

Would any of these be a 5x5 1/2" pattern? All these metric sizes get confusing.

17. moefuzz

moefuzz

I have several sets of these, circa 1992 Grand Marquis...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The offset is a little different leading me to believe that they are limited to what they could be used for

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

VW guys have been also using them for ages to get a nice tuck.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Mac, those look nice. Donor car is ______ ? Would you sell a set? Gary

20. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

I am using the S10 16x4's on my Model A. Does anyone know of a temp spare that is 15x4 ? Chevy car pattern ? Early 80's Camaro ??

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

we run 15" 5on4 1/2 steel ones on the front of the 608 AA/GL. At least 4 years on them, maybe longer. We have been to 322 and has spun at 280 and never any wheel problems. The wierd offset helps the scrub radius.

I like those aluminum ones. Are they stamped with the country of origion?

22. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i got sent back to the pits at the starting line personally, by the track owner, for trying to use those on the fronts.

But yeah i think they would hold up for street use. There was a study conducted by, i think, road and track that proves this. Will try to dig up the article. Or you could try.

23. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Oh sorry, i just re-read your post---you are talking about the rim only; i tried using the original rim AND temp tire for racing. He told me i would have to change them. ( i could tell by his expression that he understood and appreciated my sneaky ingenuity for trying to run them---because that's what racer do, but from a safety standpoint, no way)

But the article would still apply for the rim only and i don't see why they wouldn't be able to perform just fine for the street.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  24. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

the 82-92 camaro spare wheels are 16x4 and 15x4 both with a 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern.it all depends on the year you get they went to 16 inch wheels in 91 i believe.i have used them alot they are fine.im looking for the aluminum ones,any body got any in chevy pattern?

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was going to use them on my T, but couldn't find caps to fit them. They're $10 each at yards around here.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. docsrodshop

docsrodshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright, I've been searching for a couple of days now and can't pull this article up. Anyone else find this information?

-Glenn

27. Hogride

Hogride

maybe try the threaded type lugs from a camaro/ impla or ? and factory screw on cap :eek: or a spyder cap or one of the fake knock off caps

28. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Mofuzz hit it....backspacing. The backspacing on a late model car is very different than a prewar ford.....we tried using them for a roller just to push the car around the shop....it took a 4" wheel spacer to get these wheels off the body on a 32 roadster....they were mustang wheels.....2003 or so as I remember. Before you buy them, measure what you need vs what you are finding in the junkyard.

29. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i haven't been looking either, but i remember they did extensive testing and found that the tires are better than what the manufacturer recommends; Can last much longer and more durable and can run higher speeds than what the O.E. says.

Will look further if i have time. i'm pretty sure it was either car and driver or road and track or one of those stupid car magazines where the writers are just stupid robots who pander to advertising dollars; i don't like most automotive writers---they think they are so smart and witty. But they are NOT.

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

16X4 S10 spares on the front and 18x4 Astro van spares on the rear. Cheap....and ran the hell outta these!

Attached Files:

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.