Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrecting my 57 Chevy 210

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philroy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking good!! What wheels are you gonna run?

2. Philroy

Philroy

Sorry. I just realized this morning that I haven't given yall an update lately. We went to a swap meet in Des Moines and i bought a tach, some wiring stuff, and a decent set of 14x8 aluminum slots for all 4 corners. I have been looking at tires, and i think I am going to get a set of 225/75r14 bfgoodrich radial t/a tires all the way around. They are the widest tires that will clear the rear quarter panels.

A couple of weeks ago, we tore the back doors apart and replaced the felts. It seemed much more complicated in the instructions than what it turned out to be.

I bought a small cap external coil distributor and new plug wires from skipwhiteperformance.com and installed them with my new MSD blaster 2 coil. We pulled the valve covers and tightened the loose rocker arms to shut up the chatter. Once it was quiet enough to hear the motor, we noticed a slight piston knock. So, I am going to run the motor for awhile and rebuild another 327 that belongs to my dad. Once i did some checking on the numbers, i realized its a 375hp fuelie motor out of a 64 corvette. When we rebuild it, we're gonna bore it and put flat top pistons back in it so i can run 87 octane fuel and maybe get some fuel mileage out of it.

Upon removing the masking paper from the dash, we realized that teh clearcoat was fairly dry up by the defrosters. So, the people from iowa glass are coming to remove my windshield and back glass. They are taking it out this wednesday and putting it back in next friday. That way, we can repaint the dash without the windshield obstructing progress.

I will try to get some pictures of our progress. That being said, I better get back to working on it.

3. That dash is looking great there! Hope you have the very thin & fragile trim that runs under the radio & clock holes. That piece isn't available IIRC. Parted out several cars over time and have found only one that's good enough to put on my car.
    You will have the coolest car on the Chariton High School lot!
    Oh yeah, and leave thge bumper off!! Haha

4. I think I can shed some light; now that you have both the 327 that came in the car and a 283 that was extra, look at the area you referred to. The 283 has less space between that web and the casting for the water pump. The 283 is about finger sized and the 327 is about thumb sized.

By the way, do hang on to that 283 if it is the original motor for that Elcamino. Might increase the value of that car later on.

5. Philroy

Philroy

Wow! A lot has happened in the last couple of weeks. The glass folks came and pulled the windshield and back glass. The girlfriend came over the other day and helped me polish all of the stainless that goes around them. Well, that's not true. She polished them and I worked prepping the dash for paint.

I have been slowly working on putting the "v"'s and scripts on, making sure that the paint is perfectly buffed before they go on.

We took and repainted the top part of the dash with the charcoal metallic and even more flake than last time. Last night, I put the gauge cluster and switches and such back in the dash and put the column back together. Steve, I didn't get your collar painted, but I will shortly.

Anyway, here are some pcitures for yall to feast your eyes on.

PS: Steve, I think i'm going to go ahead and run my bumper. Thank you for the input, tho.

6. Philroy

Philroy

I guess the pictures didnt post. Well, lets try again...

Attached Files:

7. phudd

phudd
    from kansas

i traded a weed eater for a 57 4 door in 79 and just now started not keeping it original

8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Looks like a good project. Keep going!
    Jay

9. Looking great! Just kidding about the bumper,

10. biscaynes

biscaynes

looking great! good work! :cool:

11. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Excellent! Brings back a flood of memories of my high school '57...

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Nice looking ride,....Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

13. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

14. Philroy

Philroy

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement, guys. I know it's been quite a while since i gave yall an update. Sorry, but I've been busy running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I gotter done for prom. Carpet in. Glass in. Radio in. Tires and wheels on. It's not clear finished, but one is never done with a car until he sells it. As of right now, I have driven it probably 200 miles with minimal problems. It has got to be the nicest riding and driving vehicle that I own, which isn't all that surprising because one vehicle is a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel truck and the other is a 4x4 Blazer and they both ride and drive like crap. The car floats down the road at whatever speed you want and handles awesome. Enough with talk. Let me get yall some pictures. If you have any questions about anything, just ask.

Attached Files:

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. turning out nice

16. Nice....i started with a 55 chev when i was 17 and then moved on to the best of the chevys the 57 chev...have fun..cars are full of dreams and good times:D ps now im onto a 56 olds

17. if ya want to watch some old movies with a 57 in them..watch eddie and the cruisers or diner..which the main character drives a 4 door 57...i used to watch them again and again to see the cars

18. 574door

574door

Turned out reaalll nice! How bout a pic or two of the interior? I'm putting trim back on mine right now. If I'm lucky I'll be ready to drive it when its 100 degrees out again! I'll be one hot and happy fella! Congrats on yours! Make sure you let Grandpa take the wheel a time or two, you'll cherish it!

19. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looks great! Congrats!!

20. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

F*#&#^ A dude, that thing looks bitchin. Love the slots:cool:

21. Awesome job, your nonstop efforts have paid off big! The mirror is perfect, try not to impale anyone on it! The ride on 57s was advertised to be very smooth, due in part to the new (for then) 14'' wheels.

22. I had a four door '57 in high school also, the extra doors make it easier to get into the rear seat. The rear seat being an important destination at the time.

23. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Way to go , the car looks great . And as mentioned above the slots look cool . Now go have some fun .

24. The car and your lady friend look great!

25. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Car looks great dude. Love the slots on it.

26. I've never understood the disdain for 4-doors. Its still a 57 Chevy, right? It still drives like a 57 Chevy, right? The way I see it is whether its a 4-door or a 2-door what does it matter when its yours?

I've got a 55 Chevy 2-door with a 235 L6 that came from the factory with a 235 L6. I get the same argument from people who ask me why I don't go with a V8 and drag slicks. I tell them the same thing: whether its a 6 or a V8, what does it matter when its yours? You want a gasser, go buy a gasser. I, on the other hand, want to drive a 55 Chevy with a straight six.

Your car looks great man. :D

27. Philroy

Philroy

Hey, everybody. Thanks once again for all the encouragement. I will try to get some interior pictures this weekend. It's supposed to be nice and hot out. So, gonna go cruising!!! Now, I just have to find a female accomplice since I am recently singled... School is almost out. In fact, next Friday will be my last day. I still haven't had the courage to drive it to school. I am afraid some a**hole will key it, or something of that nature.
    574door: Gramps is coming back in a few weeks and I might even let him burn the tires, something I have yet to try.
    chevy57dude: Don't worry. I wont impale nobody. I know you've been concerned about that from the start..... :)
    57 Heap: that's my exact justification for picky people who bash it for being a 4 door. Usually, when asked what they drive, they reply "a minivan"
    Scotch Buzzard King: Very well put. I have a lot of people who tell me to put a 4bbl and an automatic trans on/in it. I say to them: "get your wallet out. I f you buy me the stuff, I will gladly put it on. For now, this is how it is, and this is how I want it."

Well, gotta go. Study hall is almost over. On to the rest of my day at school....

28. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

That's alright! HAMB'n at school. Love it.

29. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Nice job man. When I was in school it was comics n car mags. Now drive the wheels off that Chebbie!!!

30. Philroy

Philroy

Well, Grandpa is back from New Mexico for a week and we've been driving the wheels off it. We just put another 80 miles on her today. My blaster 2 coil had a cracked insulator on the top and it was losing a lot of spark. Gramps got me a new one and I put it in, and what a difference!!! It no longer stumbles when you pour the coal to it and the pipes are burning way cleaner. I got some pictures of the interior for yall and then I took some of underneath when I had it up on the hoist the other day.

Attached Files: