Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP Ray Harryhausen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by traffic61, May 7, 2013.

1. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I just learned that the special effects master passed away at 92. He did the effects for some of my favorite moves of the 50's and 60's. He may not have been a car guy, but his creations destroyed a lot of Detroit tin on the silver screen..

The swordfighting skeletons from "Jason and the Argonauts" scared the hell out of me as a wee lad.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Aaah, what is hotrodding but special effects with wheels?

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Why? Because Mr Harryhausen was the artist behind many of the movies that were watched on the Drive-in screens of the day!
    Drive-ins were a big part of the car culture back then so its only fitting to show some respect to people like him who helped fill those moonlit rows with cars!

RIP Mr Harryhausen...you made a huge impact in the early days of Si-fi and fantasy film by bringing the impossible to life with just your hands and incredible imagination.

4. Lots of good icons,passing auto and other related.Still a shame but life.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Lest we forget...

Before the internet, computer games, DVDs, VCRs, video and even cable TV there was the drive in. I barely remember that time.
    I'll never forget going to the old Mustang Theater in Center Point Alabama to see Jason and The Argonauts. There was a line of cars to get in that stretched down the Parkway for nearly a mile. This was in 1977 or 79 about. The movie was released in 1960!
    I'll never forget that, the cars, the striped railing, the humps, the speakers in the windows, the concession stand at the projector house with the multi colored cups and french fry baskets, swing sets for the kids, the whole bit. The feature, Wow, the bronze giant, king neptune, that flying creature and who can forget the skeletons.
    I hate my kids will not experiance that. Theres too much stimulation these days.
    Thank you Harryhousen.

6. I loved his work he was a very talented man and a true pioneer. Not to mention that some of his 1950s monster flicks also sparked my interest in old cars as a kid.

7. k9racer

k9racer

Boy you took me back on the CP drive in.. I say many great and not so great at the THC drive in in Adamsville and the Fairgrounds drive inn.

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I remember his special effects from the old Saturday at the matinee tv show Sinbad the sailors adventures , jasson an the Argonauts , clash of the titans , clay mation and stop motion photography , pretty cool stuff for the day , now computer generation creates all the imagination and illusions ,

9. jesse1980

jesse1980