Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kustom Mercs / How did you get hooked?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Many of you remember a particular car, most likely from your youth, that had a profound effect on you. You probably still think about that car. There's one car in particular I saw, in Reno at Hot August Nights in 1992 that was the car for me. I was 19 years old. The moment before it drove by, I was a muscle car guy. A moment later, as it drove by, I was transformed into a customs guy. That fast. I can still remember the sound of the engine. I didn't even know what I was looking at... Customs were something I was unaware of. It just so happened, when I saw this car.... I was videotaping... and I have that moment captured on videotape. When I got back to Detroit, I asked relatives to watch the videotape and tell me what kind of car it was. It was a four door, Carson-topped 1951 Mercury. It was painted an orange or peach color, with white scallops that faded to grey, with ribbed bumpers and a Desoto grille. From that moment I loved '51 Mercs. I bought a four door '51 a few months later, hoping to create my own custom.. that's another story. That Reno Merc is the reason I bought another '51 in 2011. Recently, I found that videotape, and took some screen shots.

I recently posted a thread trying to find out more info about this car. If you know about this Merc, please go to my other thread and let me know or send me a PM:
    Info about this custom? Carson Topped 1951 Mercury from Reno Hot August Nights 1992
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775272

Attached Files:

2. a few years ago i was at that big swap meet in Georgia, and my uncle was selling a 55' chevy frame, so he had that parked in a field where they keep all the cars for sale. there was a trailer parked next to us, and right before we left, i decided to go on inside of it. (it was open anyway,) inside was a beautiful kustom merc. it was fantastic, the funny part was, it was halfway taken apart and in primer. but i fell in love with all mercs after that, especially kustoms.

3. sideswipe

sideswipe

labor.JPG when my dad introduced me and my friend to slave labor. block sanding at age 13.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    oldrods likes this.
  4. JAWS

JAWS

Cobra merc.
    James Dean's merc. That car was slow and handled like a boat and the mohair is itchy.....pure love, pure love. I have a great memory of riding around for a couple blocks in it when I was in High School.

Soon I will start on my 51.....my first merc, been sitting since '62.

5. I just bought the "Cobra" dvd for $9.00
    Add to my car dvd collection.

6. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

America Grafitti was my first, and when I was 15 or 16, in around 1980-81 I belive, a friend of mine, who had just returned from studies in the US, showed me some pictures from an indoor car show he had attended. One of the pics showed a candy red and silver 50 Mercury with California plates. "COOL 50" : I found out much later that it was one of Richard Zoccis earlier cars.
    I even lent the picture negatives and got a photo shop (No, not photoshop) to enlarge the picture to super size. about 3 x 2 feet. I did not have any wall space to hang them up in my room (about 3 or 4 large copies of different cars) so I hung them in my sealing, so I could watch them while laying in bed before I went to sleep. The "COOL 50" was just above the bed.
    I remember I said to my self. "One day I will own one of those"
    It took me 33 years after those pictures, to finally get me one. See avatar. Coming this march from the US.
    [​IMG]

7. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

Post some pics of your new toy.

8. Aussiepete.

Aussiepete.
    from Australia

I feel in love with 1949/51 Mercury when I saw the movie Cobra in 1986.At the time I had no idea what is was but I knew I had to have one .Twenty seven years later I finnally got one :)

9. Tim64

Tim64

It was Rick Erickson. His shop is in wildomar, Ca (Extreme Kustoms)
    He built mine also

10. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

The black one was owned by Bob Omen from Western Nebraska. Chopped by Ronny Moore of Council Bluff Iowa. Owned by a very nice guy now (don't know his name) who still takes it to KKOA Salina every year.

Dan
    dolsen37