Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead help needed. Too hot.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric H, May 1, 2013.

1. Eric H

Eric H

My 8ba has run cool for the first 500-600 miles. I jump in today and it is pinning the needle. I also noticed for the first time that the POR15 manifold paint looks a little bit burnt. It has an older rad in it that was fine for the first 500. This has me very upset because the car has run very well so far and I am trying to sell it so we can pay off some bills. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. sfowler

sfowler

My friend Bill was just telling me how to start up my rebuilt 8ba for the first time . it seems there is a lot of loose rust in old blocks even if they have been boiled out . the rust will transfer to your radiator in time and plug it up ,causeing over heating . He said for start up , use an old ( sacraficial ) radiator and fill with water and block sealer . Run until good and warm and then drain and remove old rad. . Allow block sealer to dry in engine for 24 hours . Rust should now be captured and will not clog your good radiator. Good Luck , Steve

3. Start by giving the radiator a good back flush and go from there.

4. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Multiple reasons can make your 8ba run hot all of a sudden .

1. Thermostat failure . Will not let the water flow .
    2. low coolant or evaporation of water in you coolant .
    3. Pluged up radiator from deposit buildup in block or radiator, ie rust or lime
    4. Timing not set right . Timing can walk with older timing gears ans gear wears down. Fiber ones even crack or break.
    5. Carburetor adjustment
    6. Fan belt adjustment, Belts stretched, or loose
    These basics can help pinpoint most of heating problems.

Hope this helps

5. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

try cleaning out the radiator as said above. mine was all full of junk after my 8ba build. flushed it out and im good to go now

6. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks for the advice guys. I will see if I can get to the bottom of it on Sunday.