Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I second the reminder about the footwear in the shop. In the summer I like to go out with shorts & t-shirts and deck shoes, tennis shoes, etc.... but virtually every time I end up burning/cutting/bruising/etc. myself, to the point where I just don't do it any more. It's jeans and boots, and usually a long-sleeve shirt over a t-shirt, even here in southern Oklahoma's 100+ degree with 90+ % humidity summer days...

Just something to keep in mind.

And my 13 YO daughter really likes helping, and really wants a hot rod pickup too...

2. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Sarge. Yes, I will certainly instill better safety practices in my shop, ESPECIALLY for the kids. Of course Sunday night I dropped a 5/8" deep socket on my foot... wearing flip flops. I'm a slow learner.

Kids are great and I'm always glad to see members here who work with their kids. Some of mine are car nuts like me, some have no interest. But with 11 of 'em (8 girls, 3 boys) ages 19-9 I'm doing my part to continue another generation of hot rodders!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. b-bop

b-bop

Wow, 11 kids, no wonder they call you Daddio ! :D

4. daddio211

daddio211

Daddio to eleven, no less. :D

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't understand how that bracket functions. It looks like the adjustablity is north-south instead of east-west.

6. daddio211

daddio211

Howdy Brent! You can clearly see the forward/rearward movement, but if you look closely there are tabs at the top of the mount where a bolt slides through the generator, giving it the left/right movement allowing the belt to be tightened. The left/right adjustability will come via a slightly modified original arm connected to the water pump.

Gimme a shout next time you're down this direction. We'll BBQ something.

Attached Files:

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Looking at it from the other perspective, I completely get it now.

And, for sure, I'll definitely give you a shout when we head down, the next time.

8. daddio211

daddio211

I figured the combination of the two pics would nail it for you.

9. daddio211

daddio211

Update! Lots of little things done, but of course they don't really show at this point of the build.

Speedway (I know, I know) makes these cool little shackle brackets for the front springs with an additional eye. PERFECT for mounting a heim joint to a lever action shock and you couldn't make 'em for the measly $10 they charge.

uploadfromtaptalk1366942657701.jpg

Right sized belt located... that's always a pain! And its 48 1/8" for my own future reference! Generator in place and HAPPY! I reallly like things tucked down out of the way, don't you?

uploadfromtaptalk1366942702456.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366942731245.jpg

I bolted on one of Salt Flat Matt's Geardrive Headers that I scored on a HAMB auction about 2 1/2 years ago. Bitchin! Couldn't say enough great things about Matt or his work!

uploadfromtaptalk1366942827843.jpg

Although this was intended to be a pic of the headers too, its also a shot of the 4 link. I forgot to take any other pics of it... DUH!

uploadfromtaptalk1366942852803.jpg

Being limited for room, and having concerns about the strength of the split rear bones under a heavy right foot, Bob engineered parallel bars to help offset the torque issues.

The construction process is being filmed for a future DVD in the series, so after Bob does a little more catch up with the video camera he will begin blowing everything apart.

A friend recently started a dustless blasting company, so we're going to so a club get-together here in a few weeks to blast the chassis and a bunch of wheels. Four for the roadster and four for my Shoebox! :)
    Thanks for riding along fellas!

10. All cool and you must be so stoked about now. JW :)

11. daddio211

daddio211

Sure am! Between this and my shoebox we'll have a fun summer of cruisin'... and probably fixing little things. ;)

12. If i make to the Salt next year i may have to swing by St George and check it out.JW

13. daddio211

daddio211

I'm about 450 miles south, but if you're making the trip you've GOT to come through this area! Zion National Park, Dixie National Forest, Snow Canyon State Park... we'll take you on a tour. This place is simply amazing!

Who knows, we may end up at Bonneville too!

14. Way cool Eric,see what happens. Jw :)

15. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Looking great Eric! Keeping me inspired for sure...

16. alchemy

alchemy

What kind of rear locating system do you have? Split wishbones down low, and some articulating bars down low too? It's not really a four-bar if the rear of the bars are mounted solid to the axle.

Can you show some clearer pics?

17. daddio211

daddio211

Thank you sir! Again! :eek:

Get back on that sedan, brother! When you get serious about it you get a LOT done fast! Few home builders slam work out as quickly as you do!

You're absolutely right. There just wasn't enough room to run a pair of top bars and keep the gas tank where it needed to be. The inside bars, as I eluded to earlier, will help prevent the rear axle from twisting the split rear bones, but not eliminate it altogether. The panhard bar is not in place yet, but there will be one... if that's what you're referring to by "rear locating system."

Originally I wanted a triangulated 4 bar without a panhard. It just wasn't practical on this build.

I'll post some more detail shots later this week when I get back up there. Feel free to request anything specific! :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  18. alchemy

alchemy

I just didn't see how the lower bars would keep the axle from twisting if they have a joint on each end. If you think they'll work, then OK. (Let it be known I'm also a member of the "no split rear bones to the outside of the frame" club) Keep a good eye on your welds and bolts back there.

19. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Hi daddio. I am loving this build. Bob's the man.I have his DVD. Very interesting. What I like about him. He build things really industry strong. Parts on this chassis will not let you down.

20. daddio211

daddio211

I completely understand what you're saying. Bob's experience trumps mine 100 fold, but the dynamics of it's function still intrigue me. I do believe that limiting the twist of the axle upward upon acceleration will PUSH on the inner bars limiting the rotation... but I'm no in-jun-ear neither.

Bob has cautioned me numerous times that my heavy foot (or Victoria's) could very well be the demise of these split bones. I know there's been a long standing discussion about the strength (or lack thereof) on these, and it's been a big consideration/concern. Nothing looks as good as split bones in my mind, but safety is the first concern. The stock rebuilt 283 and PowerGlide aren't likely to do too much harm... :rolleyes:

I have 110% confidence in Bob's abilities and attention to detail, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate everyone's input. Thank you very much for keeping an eye on us and continue to give us an alternate view. Many eyes on the project are more likely to keep us (especially my wife and kids) safe!

Thanks Mark! Bob really is great! He's shipping videos to Australia on a regular basis... you guys down there are building some really bitchin' stuff!

Although his videos are mostly serious, there are a few points in his videos where you get a short glimpse of his dry sense of humor. Trust me, he'll keep you rolling with laughter in the shop! Do you have all three of his videos? They're GREAT!

21. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

I only have the chassis one. It is very good, but I find, it's like watching golf for me. I full a sleep after 10 min. Wake up and have to find where I left off! But I am old!

22. daddio211

daddio211

LOL

23. daddio211

daddio211

Well fellas, its been a long time since I've done an update and I don't have much to show you now either. Been incredibly busy at work,wife's business has been insanely busy, and kids are getting out of school preparing for summer. A few small vacations planned and I haven't been to Bob's in 3 1/2 weeks. He's worked on the car some, but paused to work on his own car for a while. No sweat.

The updates I have are that sevenevez was kind enough to Photoshop some color on the car that ultimately convinced my wife (I think) away from the flat black/red combo she's had her heart set on forever. Thanks Pete!

[​IMG]

With that, I stopped by the paint store yesterday and picked out a PPG color called Dark Cranberry. I took her over this morning and showed her the color, and while going through books she found another color she liked. Hmmm, "What's the code on that?" Yep, exact same color I picked for her on Friday! I rule.

So we had some paint mixed and put in an aerosol can (I have a compressor and a few guns but I'm no painter!) and stopped by the hardware store to get primer and several clears. She's been stuck on flat paint so we picked up satin, matte, semi-gloss and gloss clears, got home and began spraying.

[​IMG]

Initially, she wasn't happy at all. Sick, really, that we'd spent all that money with a color that sucked. I kept telling her it would change with clear (all 4 of them) but I admit they all had a weird purple/dark-pink hue.

[​IMG]

Once cleared, dried and out in the sun she SLOWLY began changing her mind. She wasn't crazy about the flat clears any more, and was leaning toward the semi-gloss and gloss... thank goodness!

I need to say, this IS her car and she has some great ideas, I'm just trying to help influence and guide it to a traditional and timeless kind of style/flavor.

As the color grew on her I pulled out some One Shot and my Mack brushes and laid down some really shitty lines. I haven't striped anything in years and I've never been any good, but the One Shot color made the cranberry come ALIVE!

[​IMG]

Disregard my shitty striping please. My wife thinks I'm the world's greatest striper, bless her very confused heart! She even posted it on Instagram...

[​IMG]

She's now so excited she's been poring over Rod & Custom magazines for HOURS getting more ideas for HER car. Fellas, I've created a monster and I'm damn proud! :D

She just found the CON2R steering wheel website and has been almost in tears trying to choose ONE wheel because there are so many she loves... good problem, huh?

Have had a GREAT day here. Hope your weekends have been just as good!

Sent from atop my toilet using the TJJ app for Android.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  24. That color rocks and accents very well. JW

25. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, pretty excited!

26. daddio211

daddio211

Finally made it up to Bob's yesterday. From photos it doesn't look like much has been done, but lots of little details are coming together.

uploadfromtaptalk1369167913260.jpg
    Front brake lines routing/plumbing figured out.

uploadfromtaptalk1369167972323.jpg
    Shocks have been moved back 1", mock up parts in place for connecting to the axle.

uploadfromtaptalk1369168051437.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369168116306.jpg
    Trans cooler mounted.

uploadfromtaptalk1369168189961.jpg
    And a rear axle shot to show how the inner bars are mounted.

My biggest dilemma right now is whether to strip the body completely down to bare metal or not.

I'm on the fence now, when before I was determined it wasn't necessary. I don't subscribe to the theory that every car needs to return to bare steel, but I'm not a body man and I'm not a painter.

Feeling the inside of the body it would seem that very little work has been done, and very little was needed. The cowl and firewall have been molded together, I suspect they were welded then bondo'ed, but I can't tell from the inside. A small crack in bondo exists on the tulip panel right behind the pasenger's right shoulder, so that CERTAINLY needs attention, but everything else looks solid. We can tell there is bondo in the cowl, but really don't know how much.

The car has been together for 20 some years like this so I'm thinking the work done was pretty good. So the question is: do we scuff and spray it or do we strip it down and "do it right"?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Hit me!

Attached Files:

27. Old line my "Pops" used, and I've stuck to it Eric.
    If ya ain't gonna do it the right way, "Don't do it !!!"
    Strip it brudder, you'll B sorry down the road it ya dont.

28. Old line my "Pops" used, and I've stuck to it Eric.
    If ya ain't gonna do it the right way, "Don't do it !!!"
    Strip it brudder, you'll B sorry down the road it ya dont.

29. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Eric. Please do the body up. Bobs doing such a great job,on the the chassis. It's a shame just to plonk the body on undone.
    There's a saying back in ye old England. Don't spoil the ship,with just a half penny's worth of tar.

30. Looking good man! It's cool that your wife is so into it too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.