Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Two Ton Trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctb, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mctb

mctb
    from Virginia

Are there any builds? I have been looking around but havent seen anything. I am looking at getting a 51 Chevy 2 ton to rod (airbags, V8, etc...). I like the 2 tons because they are bigger, hoping that I will fit in one more comfortably than in the 1/2 ton variants. So, are there any builds or links I can look through for ideas?

Thanks.

2. castirondude

castirondude

I'm working on a 1929 model AA, not sure if it is a 2-ton or not, but it is heavy duty, it has like a 12" thick leaf stack in the back, dual tires etc..
    I bought it after REALLY drooling over the 1960/1961 Chevy 2-ton trucks with the "eyebrows" in the hood, I really would like to have one of those someday.

The main reason I went with the AA is because I wanted to do a CRAZY BIG engine. With the AA you remove the hood, set the cab back and have any size engine you like :D :D :D

Start with this:

[​IMG]

Set the cab back like this:

[​IMG]

Then slide in this: :D :D :D

[​IMG]

It's a 1169 cubic inch twin turbocharged V12 diesel..

3. mctb

mctb
    from Virginia

Im think more along the lines of Isuzu 4BD1T instead of a V12 but diesel nonetheless. Im waiting to hear back from the guy about wheelbase and total length. Your AA is kind of what I am looking to do. My dream is something like this:

Attached Files:

4. castirondude

castirondude

I'm all for it! There is a lot of info on the 4BD1T on 4btswaps.com (they don't just do 4BT's, they have a dedicated section for each type of engine)
    These trucks have almost flat framerails in the back so it's not difficult to get the wheelbase you want, particularly on a flatbed

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

5. castirondude

castirondude

BTW I don't know if you saw my 1928 dodge sedan thread. I used an Isuzu c223. It works but I think the 4BD1T is a better choice, much more power.

Also be prepared to get mixed responses on this forum since it's not ""traditional""

6. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

how you fit in it wont matter if its half or two ton.

7. Cabs are all the same size on 1/2 tons on up. In some cases the front fenders had larger openings to fit the larger wheel/tire combos.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that: the cabs are exactly the same size inside and the Two ton cab will bolt on a 1/2 ton Chassis and a 1/2 ton cab will bolt on a two ton. The hood and front fenders along with the front bumper are different on the two ton. Where the hell do you come up with the nonsense that the inside of the cab would be bigger?

9. MCTB....head over to the new guy forum and post an intro then read up on the rules.....Then do a search for the COE page, those guys are are doing some great things with the big trucks. You may not be building a COE but they can recommend chassis, axles and engine swaps to maintain the 2 ton abilities if you are looking for that kind of thing.

10. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I'm building a 2 ton chev. Like it was said, the cab is identical with a half ton. I'm 6'6 and fit fine with the tank relocated. The front end is longer and wider ( and better looking than the 1/2 ton) (imo). I mounted mine on an 86 dually frame that was lowered with Belltech parts. Was running a 500 cad, upgrading to a 472 cad/ t400.

c View attachment 1921897

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a couple of two ton rigs from that era. The Chevy was just restored and still has the 206 Babbitt engine in it. The Moreland is now in the Kern County Fire Museum in Bakersfield, CA.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

12. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Sorry another attempt at a picture ImageUploadedByTJJ1366937897.464491.jpg

13. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

cool looking truck . Any more info on it

14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

[​IMG]Here's where I started 18 months ago. It's only a 1 1/2 ton though. Here's a current pic. Front sheet metal and paint coming soon.[​IMG]More pics on my website under "Vans Mr. Chevy truck"

15. stingbean

stingbean

My 1937 Chevy is only a 1 .5 ton as well. Once I finally start working on it again, I'll create a build thread. It's been parked in my Dad's shed for over ten years. It has a newer 235 in it and a narrowed front suspension from a 70s C30 with Belltech dropped spindles. This is the most current picture I have: It's not the highest quality photo by any means.

Attached Files:

16. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

Nice looking truck!!

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

2 ton trucks were hotrodded?:confused: The 50's were swingin'!:D

18. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Yeah , I know 2 tons were not rodded in the 50s, but they were sometimes customized as race haulers. Kind of like lots of 4 doors, wagons, Edsels and other "off brands" that now are cool, but then they were not considered worthy of a second look.
    The vibe I am going for is a truck that looks like it was done in the 50s as a speed shop's trailer towing vehicle. Incidentally, I doubt tow trucks or Coe trucks were even looked at by traditional builders, and yet there are hundreds of pictures of them on the Coe thread and several build threads on the Hamb. As long as the over all look works, and they don't get street roddy, I think they are cool.

19. kscarguy

kscarguy

My 41 Ford COE truck is a 1-1/2 ton. The cab is about 6" wider than a regular truck cab, but not any longer.

20. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

One of these days I'll get around to doing something with this beast. I want to loose the dump bed and make a flatbed for it, drop a diesel in it too!

Attached Files:

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 1-1/2 ton that I have been thinking of doing the same thing with that PKap is doing and putting it on a mid 70's one ton dualie chassis. Then putting a car hauler bed on it. That is so many projects away that it doesn't count though.

22. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Who says 2 Ton trucks weren't hot rodded.... Of Course this was the 60's and all sorts of crazy things were going on by then.

[​IMG]

23. kscarguy

kscarguy

24. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

55Hydramatic, That 10 lug, 348, air brake truck is pretty rare. I wouldn't change it to much. I know alot of people that would like to have it.

25. castirondude

castirondude

He says 544 ford but I think it's thr 534, biggest ford gas engine ever!

I bought one just like it for $500 that has the 636 cube caterpillar and 4spd allison.. air brakes.. bare frame in the back.. first time I drove it down a muddy dirt road, I almost ditched it, made a 100' skidmark at 20 mph :D

Personally i'd like to do a <1950 mack or something rare like that.

26. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yeah I've kind of figured that, have only seen 2 other Spartan 100's on the internet and both of them were fire trucks.

27. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey 55H that thing is killer. No doubt it's pretty rust free here in AZ :D

28. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Here's my 56 f-600 ( 2 ton ) build hope it helps.... but the cabs are the same as 1/2 ton wheither it be ford , chevy , or dodge
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673593
    I kept it mostly stock.... it's bad ass . I can lay down rubber and haul a load ( old car junk and rock ? gravel ) Truely dual purpose hot rod / dump truck - pretty godd at both!

29. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

348 air-brake truck..........yep, that is a cool one. Kind of like to see one in person!

30. mctb

mctb
    from Virginia

Great responses. I like the way that the bigger trucks look, which may be why I thought that they were bigger in size. The front ends just seem to stretch out more. I found a very solid '51 Chevy (one small spot on the floors but the corners and everything are solid) but it has a 160" wheelbase, which is too long. Plus, its a dump body and the dump part apparently still works so I would feel bad peeling that stuff off and throwing it away. I guess I could cut the existing frame down, since it seems to be just straight steel, but cutting 40" out just seems to me like a pain.

Im looking for something in the 120" or 130". The idea of frame swapping is an interesting one but I would much prefer to keep the original frame. Im not going to be hauling much other than the occasional HD, Lowes, garden center run so I would love to do a flatbed that is as wide as the cab and then have cycle fenders covering the duallies. Does anybody have a database of what was available, wheelbase wise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.