Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm not crazy! Someone IS taking pictures of my cars and posting them online...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I posted this thread awhile back....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512206

It kinda slipped my mind until I came across this while on vacation

http://seattlesparkedcars.blogspot.com/2012/11/1966-ford-econoline-supervan.html

and this

http://seattlesparkedcars.blogspot.com/2012/11/1968-ford-falcon-futura.html

and this

http://seattlesparkedcars.blogspot.com/2012/11/1962-vauxhall-velox.html

i've found a few friends cars on there too.....kinda weird. kinda cool. wish this guy would ask first.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Some clown lifted a picture of our '51 Pontiac wagon and Spartan trailer, I think from the vintage gas station pictures that made the rounds a couple months ago, had a bunch of 'em printed on tin, and was trying to sell 'em on ebay for almost $200. Somebody had changed the photo to black and white, he was advertising it as a "vintage" print. I wrote him, he refused to take it down, so almost all my FB friends blasted his ebay comment page with notes, and reported the listing as false as it was not a vintage photo. The listing was taken down.

Brian

3. big M

big M

I was looking on E-Bay a few years ago, when I realized the car I was reviewing was one I owned in my wrecking yard. After clicking on seller's other listings, there were two others as well. I reported it to E-bay as fraud, and the listings were pulled.
    Never happened again. [To my knowledge]

---John

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a friend of mine has a real nice custom '50 Merc. A couple of years ago while checking out the vendors at a car show found a T-Shirt For Sale that had his car on it. vendor bought shirts from another distributor and had no idea where it originally was produced.

5. neondv8

neondv8

don't sweat it man! every time my van is parked in Seattle people are taking photos of it.
    it's just how people are here

6. Mr Seattle parked cars apparently has no problem going onto private property and photographing what he pleases and then has no problem posting it. License plate numbers included. That's kind of fucked up I think.

One thing if you are already parked in front of Walmart but ....

7. My plates are all blurred out and on public property.... but still...he was for sure on private property for one of my friends cars.

8. neondv8

neondv8

i see what your saying, and it is not cool with some. but we aren't driving a run of the mill car.

9. indyjps

indyjps

So if you have a unique car, custom or hot rod, you should copyright your car? Then any image or likeness(that amount to profit being made without an agreement to use the image or likeness) could be subject to legal action. Ever wonder why big name builders name their cars, some are copywritten, t shirt, pictures, merchandise get a payment. Of course you'd have to show that you didn't use a copywritten car in the development of your own.

10. Dillrod

Dillrod

I was selling a o/t 67 camaro on racing junk.com and got a call from a buddy saying he seen my car on mautofied.com listed in Arkansas I emailed the guy with a wtf ? He said yea I was Gona get u a better price than u were asking ! I told him I don't need help sellin my cars and to pull the ad

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Taking photos and posting them online is what people do. Using the photo you take at an event and sharing it with people online, for example, the HAMB - which provides the world with car photos. You do not need anyone's permission to take photos and post them. Magazines usually have a form that gives them permission to run a feature, but event coverage is not copyrighted. If you are a photo journalist you understand this. I usually take 3-400 photos per event and post them on my site. I always ask the owner, if present, if he minds if I take photos of his car. I have never had anyone refuse the request and I have over 50,000 photos on file.

Using a photo for personal gain, as stated above, is a no - no in my mind. You can request the photographer to not take any photos of your car if he is using it for personal gain but that may not stop him. Many event photographers sell their photos on line and to specific on-line sites. They normally have the photo copyrighted and protected from right clickers or draggers using iPhoto.

In your case, you were probably not around when the photo was taken but I am sure no harm was intended by the photographer. Most people like seeing their car on line. Just my thoughts on your post.

12. haychrishay

haychrishay

Not trying to start an argument, but have you seen the sitting and rotting post on here ? I can see similarities . If your stuff isnt poping up on CL or ebay for sale I wouldnt get to excited. just my 2 cents worth

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's just part of owning a cool old car. We have gotten used to people taking a lot of pictures of our cars and we always build in a little extra time because they will want to ask us questions, like "What the hell is that ?" :D

Whenever we go to Ft Myers Beach for dinner there are flashbulbs going off everywhere as we drive by............feels pretty good, actually. Here is a lousy cell phone picture of our cars parked on the street in Ft Myers Beach a few weeks ago. We had to wait for all the other picture takers to leave to get this one. Just relax and enjoy the attention and the admiration. :)

Don

[​IMG]

14. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I agree

15. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

You have a problem with them being online, but post links for all of us to see also?? You have furthered the "problem".

BTW, this is posted on that blog..."If your car was posted and you'd like it removed, please email: [email protected]
    Be sure to say what car it is. Thanks! " :rolleyes:

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Guy seems totally harmless, and says to email him if you want your pictures removed. Looks like this is a hobby for him, kinda like trainspotting. Not MY cup of tea, but I dont see anything nefarious in any of this.

17. pitman

pitman

The issue of your car disappearing, after the plate is ID-ed...and located...and "borrowed"
    is a very different matter however. On-line accessory-to-the-crime services, that provide you with reg. ID's? Then google-earth it, then get the trailer and go?

18. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I had a guy from England take photos of my car at speedweek in 2011 and when I asked about a copy of the photo,he expected me to pay for it.
    When I mentioned that without the subject matter he wouldn,t have photos to sell,he got all pissed.
    Fuck him

19. upspirate

upspirate

Put a cover on it where ever you go!!!:eek:

20. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

seems like a cool little blog that is going on. I wouldn't be too worried about it honestly. as others have said, its all a part of the game. I do like his saying at the bottom.
    "Appreciating the Unappreciated Cars of Seattle. Awesome Inc."

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Whenever we are sitting at a car show and someone starts taking pictures of one of the cars and asking a few two many questions about the car we say they are going to place it on E-Bay for sale.

I have seen this happen between 5 and 10 times.

The next time you have a car for sale and someone asks you to please either post a copy of the tittle on line or to send them a copy before they purchase your car do not do it!!!!!!!!!!

Once they have pictures of your car which they can get very easy and a copy of your tittle they have just about everything they need to pull a good con on someone.

One friend purchased a GTO on E-Bay and contacted the seller many times and he even contacted E-Bay to verify that everything was legal he still lost his $34,000 dollars and E-Bay would not do anything about it.

It is now in the hands of the FBI because this same person has not done the exact same thing to eight other people by using different ID's on E-Bay.

I would not purchase any car without first seeing the car in person and even then one of the guy's still lost his money because the tittle was a fake!!!

When the police showed up at his home and told him he purchased a stolen car with a fake tittle he was in shock as they towed the car away to it's real owner.

We live in a Buyer Beware World and you can never be to careful.

Jimbo

22. Side bar on his sight

If your car was posted and you'd like it removed, please email: [email protected]
    Be sure to say what car it is. Thanks!

23. A good percentage of them have a mailbox and house numbers in the pic .

24. Where did I ever say that? All I said is I thought it was a little weird, but still cool and wished he would ask first.

also that I am not crazy. ;)

25. The two have nothing to do with each other .
    Yes your car is on a blog , but you may still have a screw loose

26. IMO, I don't think theres much we can say about people taking pictures of our cars when they are in public. But That person should not be going on private property without asking. I have a lot of old vehicles on my property, and one day came home to find that guy that reads the electrical meter wandering through my stuff. I quickly confronted him saying that I doubt he would like if I wandered through his yard looking at stuff. Treat others as you would like to be treated!

27. I think we all probably have a screw loose or two...or that is what the neighbor thinks....at least it's better than an important one on the hot rod.

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. We all need to relax and have a beer, it's Sunday.

29. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I had something like that happen - fellow from the gas company came into my boss's warehouse complex and started looking in a VW we had. I confronted the guy and he said he was there for SoCalGas checking the property (we'd never had a gas hookup in the whole place), and I let him know the owner wouldn't appreciate him opening up his cars. He apologized and left, but I got his license number just in case.

30. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

It seems everyone wants to get paid for everything these days.

I am for drinking a beer. It is a hobby. Why does everyone want to make a business out of everything. Just enjoy the hobby.

yeah, I do cars for a business... but I sure would not be worrying about people taking pictures of my cars if I did it for a hobby.

And, people take my pictures all the time. No worries. If they ask, I just ask to put a reference for us, and if they don't, no worries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.