Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy motor numbers. Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyrods, Apr 27, 2013.

1. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Guys i have a small block number stamped on the pad is vo 709 f-2 i was told a 62 327. Can any body help clear this up?

2. Lukcarnut

Lukcarnut
    from California

your numbers for a small chevy should be behind the distributor on the right side... ive never seen the numbers you put. Google it, Small block chevy casting Number#######This always works for me

3. My references don't show a "V" code as ever being used on a small block.

Are you talking about the numbers which are actually stamped on the pad in front of the passenger side head?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Engine code:

V - Flint plant code
    07 - day of month
    09- month/Sept.

Take another look, the F-2 doesn't jive. Should be F and another letter (or two).

5. Lukcarnut

Lukcarnut
    from California

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

F as the first letter of the suffix pretty much says '69 327, 235 horse

7. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Thanks for all the help

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Possibly FZ

<TABLE border=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>FZ </TD><TD>1969</TD><TD>327 </TD><TD>Powerglide, taxi </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Although most engine codes begin with "F" or "T" meaning either Flint or Tonawanda engine plants, the Flint Engine Plant also used "V" from 1967-69 on 327 engines and others. As stated already, it wud have been built on 9 July. The "F2" suffix is most likely "FZ" which equates to a 1969 327ci 235hp with a Powerglide used in a police or taxi vehicle. This info can be cross referenced with the casting number, found on the driver's side of the bellhousing flange, and the casting date, an alphnumeric three to four character code, found on the right side of the bellhousing flange. The letters of the date code correspond to the month of the year, i.e., A= Jan, B= Feb, etc. Remember, it had to be cast before it was assembled, so your casting date wud be a "G" or something before. Example: E259 or D49.