Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 pontiac straight 8 auto carb spring locations???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58 Delpala, Apr 24, 2013.

1. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

15 months ago I pulled the motor out to rebuild. Due to no fault of my own I just got the motor back and started the install. It seems I forgot how the carb return springs go on. If anyone has a pontiac with the original straight 8 and hydromatic with kickdown in their car and can take pics of the locations or explain it to me that would be great. If I ever get into something like this again I will take pics first.

I will add a pic of the linkage if its needed to help refresh memories.

2. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is a photo I have. Wrong side but the spring on this one went straight down to a spring clip just above the pan. It is about 5 " long and needs to be stretched a bit to get its tension.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

3. pontiac

pontiac

There is a loop on the bell housing that the return spring hooks onto and it goes up to the linkage just beside a freeze plug.

I'm not sure if this picture helps or not. I took this a while back for someone else. My return spring is hooked wrong in this picture... It broke the day before I snapped this pic while I was on my way home so I had to bend a new loop on it and hook it somewhere else to get me home. I outlined in red where it is supposed to hook.

[​IMG]

4. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Thanks for those 2 replies. They will help! I have 2 springs that I need to connect. One is the one in the second reply and that is perfect to get me going. The other one in the first reply kinda makes sense because I have a small tab that a spring would hook too loose in my parts box, but I am not sure Iunderstand how the carb would hook to it.

5. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

6. Don't know if this helps. Click on picture to enlarge...

Attached Files:

7. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Here's how my 54 is set up. ImageUploadedByTJJ1367070837.651301.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1367070874.117755.jpg I only have springs at the bottom of the linkage assembly, under the starter and it works fine.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

THANKS scofflaw!!!! Thats the one i needed. The one you dont have is the one that was posted in the 3rd post. I now have both springs on and its working as intended.

Thanks a ton guys for all the help!!!!