Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radir 12 spoke spindle mount question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyt, Apr 26, 2013.

1. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Is it safe to have my Radir spindle mount wheels mounted at an automotive tire place? Or,..... is it safer for the wheel for me to take them to a Harley shop where they are well versed in not damaging aluminum or billet wheels? My first thought is the Harley dealer,......but your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks ! Ted

2. Wherever you take them, make sure they know what they're doing. Just ask them...you guys know what you're doing? Can you do these without making a mess?

Just tell them...you F these up...you buy me new ones. If they can't agree on that, get them done somewhere else where the boss agrees to fix you up if there's damage

Harley tire shop is probably a safe place to start...but then again...there's alot of bone-heads across the work-force...harley shop...sport tire/rim shops...etc.

I trust no-one :)

3. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Just make sure you're dealing with someone familiar with high ticket custom wheels. Some of these kids are droppin a grand a piece on their "dubs". Any tire shop capable of not wrecking those flimsy assed things, won't hurt your radirs.

4. I Drag

I Drag

When you say "wheels mounted", do you actually mean "tires mounted"?

Are they the 18" 12-spokes? I have those and I mounted the tires myself with a couple of screwdrivers.

5. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Probably not a bad idea to take it to a motorcycle shop . . .

I got my 17" spoked wheels for the dragster mounted at a motorcycle shop local to me and they did a great job . . . even polished them for me.

6. S.F.

S.F.

A couple friends of mine mount them thereselves, I guess its really hard to do, but you gurantee wont mess up the wheel

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I mount all my Harley motorcycle tires myself, but I have the appropriate tire irons for doing it, and use plenty of dish washing soap solution for lube. I use leather pads between the irons and the wheels in order to keep from damaging them. Even with the right tools and a bit of experience, it's a pain in the ass.

I wouldn't recommend mounting these yourself if it's your first attempt at it, because there's a high likelyhood of damaging the wheel, the tire, or yourself. You'd be surprised at how far a tire iron can fly when it slips out from between the tight spots.

8. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Mine were done at an automotive shop, but by some guys that knew what they were doing. I was told it was a PITA dealing with the tubes and skinny tires.

[​IMG]

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Don Moyer and I just mounted my new Radir's for the Mid Engine Roadster the other day..........Turned out we just used the tire machine to hold them in place and was abble to muscle the tire on over the first lip.....shot some baby powder into the tire, slipped in the tube....and was able to muscle the tire over the lip...inflated until the tire seated...It was real easy....None of our local shops would touch them including the local Harley shop.....Littleman