Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project - '57 Chevy pick-em-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53choptop, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 53choptop

53choptop

I bought this off HAMBer Deam "CanyonAg77" back in February, just got around to messing with it, truck turns on like a top, really got the heart pumping, after hearing it run.

I had asked Dean if it ran, he didn't know, it was a "it ran when parked" deal when he bought it, which was fine because for the price an engine would not set me back too much, but low and behold, even with a leaking carb, the thing sounds sweet. The big plus is that it is unbelievably solid, the rust it has are common, and patch panels are readily available.

Right now I am going back and forth between a camaro clip or dakota clip no Mustang II for me, it's just coming down to just making a decision.

Also looking to making it a short bed.

Anyone near central texas have a short bed?

Attached Files:

2. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

There's a couple threads I remember debating camaro clip and MII setup. Didn't search for them, but I do remember reading them so they might provide some help. I have a book with steps/instructions on a MII install and shortening a longbed if you're interested in seeing it. I'm heavily considering a Dakota front end, similar to what the guys at Industrial Chassis Inc. have.

3. 53choptop

53choptop

Yeah, I edited my post, to include the Dakota clip, after re-reading some old threads and remembering why I decided for a volare on my 53 f100 way back when, I realized MII should not be on the list. But sometimes we are so bombarded with what everyone else uses, maybe its what we should be using with disregard to "issues". I am leaning towards the dakota kit a bit more. ElP knows his stuff and he backs it up, so there is no point in trying to reinvent the wheel. Can you send me a PDF of the bed shortening I'd appreciate it, I need measurements.

4. Dakota. You'll be happier with every aspect of the conversion.

5. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

No problem. I'll get them to ya asap.

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

son has a camaro clip with a vette rear in a 56 big window truck, handles like a dream

7. 53choptop

53choptop

Thanks Lil' Billy.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  8. CanyonAg77

CanyonAg77

Hey 53, any updates? I have not been to the HAMB in years. Thrilled to hear the motor started for you. Hope you've been able to make progress. Been a long time, but I recall that you were great to do business with.

Dean

9. Does anyone have pics of a Dakota clip conversion on TF (55-59) Chevy?

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Looks like a good project.

11. 53choptop

53choptop

Hey Dean, I decided to sell the truck, have too many projects, but I did do a bit of work to it before I sold it,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319393&showall=1

Of course, looking back I wish I had kept it,, but in retrospect the guy who bought probably already has it on the road, so that's a good thing, for me it would still be a backburner project.

12. CanyonAg77

CanyonAg77

Hate that you had to sell it, but good for you for passing it on rather than letting it rot in the backyard. Come back up to the Panhandle this Saturday, we're having an auction of my Dad's antique tractor collection. Two of our neighbors have put their old trucks in the sale. One is a '51 Chevy PU, the other a Studebaker of about the same age.

Sale web site: http://www.troystractors.com/