Register now to get rid of these ads!

Molasses rust removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cloverfield48, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

Wow, I never would have guessed molasses would work to remove rust. Thanks for the thread on this. I can try it out on a few items I have...

2. A while ago when I first heard of this they didn't mention that it was a solution.. I had visions of smearing that sticky mess all over a rusty fender. Glad I didn't try that.

3. Inmate85031

Inmate85031

As for the cost, can't beat it buying from a feed store. Bought a gallon yesterday for $2.00. It is sold there by weight (at $0.20 per pound) with a gallon weighing in at ten pounds. On the other hand, Tractor Supply sells it for $8.00 per gallon.

4. My experience with vinegar/molasses wasn't a good one, with cast iron. Ruined a set of camel hump heads. No problems with sheet metal

5. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I have used it works slow but it works.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Did you use vinegar or molasses? And how long did you leave the heads in the solution?

I think a big tub of molasses bath would be great for soaking a rusty flathead block. But not if it's going to eat the iron as well as the rust.

7. V/M both have the same active ingredient. Vinegar works faster, but evaporates quicker. I left the heads in the molasses for about a week. I'll leave it to the machine shop, to clean my cast parts, from now on. I read where a guy had molasses ruin his 392 block, bit still had to experience it myself. Big difference between my heads, and his block, money wise. Lesson learned, for me!

8. sounds like maybe the ratio of molasses/water was too rich..i could see that being a problem with being corrosive.Most guys that use molasses bath to clean a block use white lithium to cover the main saddles,cam journals and deck surfaces to keep from getting pitted that seems to work,i've heard petroleum jelly also will work.

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Earlier in this thread I wrote about my experiences with cast iron.

I do not think that it is eating the cast iron but impurities in the cast. But whatever is happening, be careful with any machined surfaces. keep them away from the molasses or cover them with grease.

I have cleaned up two blocks and several other things. Works well. Learn from other's experiences or learn on your own and then tell us how it goes. :)

Neal

10. I bought a small amount at my food store and going to try it on some valve springs that have some light rust on them.

11. I once soaked a chain in vinegar, worked like a charm so I soaked another chain but was called out of town for a week and a half. All that remained was a brown crusty foam and orange stain. The chain was 90% GONE!