Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 brookwood low beams quit working but now all 4 are on with high beams?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiddy, Apr 23, 2013.

1. fiddy

fiddy

Hey fellers, i got an issue that just started with my brookwood. I have zero headlights when switched to low beams but all four come on when i switch to high?? Anyone had this issue before? It has 56 year old wiring but i havnt found anything bare under the dash

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Bad dimmer switch.

3. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Have you checked the low beam bulbs for being burned out (they each have two filaments). It could be a coincidence that you already had one low beam burned out, then when the second one went, you would notice no light on low beams. Do the easy stuff first.

4. fiddy

fiddy

They worked like they should two weeks ago when i drove it. I'll gie the dimmer switch a shot.

5. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

I spent all day troubleshooting and replacing parts on a O/T pickup one time and in the end both low beams were burnt out. Boy did I feel dumb when I figured that one out!

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

as said, dimmer switch

7. rockfish

rockfish

Yeah, that's usually the case. When something breaks it was working right up until it wasn't :D

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have had both low beams burn out so before buying any part check for voltage at the low beam plugs.

9. I've found that 90% of headlight problems on cars with floor mounted dimmers stem from the dimmer switch. Don't forget, it's down on the floor with your wet dirty shoes.

The one on my C10 has a angled spot worn in to the stomper from so many years of use. When I drug the truck from the field the headlights didn't work. I pulled the switch, cleaned all the contacts, cycled it a few times while lubricating it, and plugged it back in "just to see". It's been going strong ever since.

10. slammed

slammed

Dimmer switch is also screwed to the floor boards which face the drivers wheel sling. Shoot some WD-40 up in it. Would be good idea to secure a new one, and seal it from the elements.