Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Official 1959 Chevy Apache Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Nope, she came from the factory with one but that is long gone. I have a start button on the dash next to my headlight switch. Our trucks came with two types of ignition switches. 8 cyl was just like a car start, run, off. 6 cyl was on/off with the foot pedal to start.

The light blue plate on the floor is where the start pedal lived. you can see a terminal hanging behind my fog light switch. My wiring is 95% done I need to fix some gremlins in my radio and wipers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

As promised attached are originals.
    I didn't scan the new one in as it was a list from classic parts of America. It is only helpful if you're using one of their harnesses. I figured if anyone bought one of theirs they would have it already.

Attached Files:

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Well my buddy gave me a call yesterday and asked if he could come over and help me work on the truck... What was I supposed to do? Say no?!

So we worked on the '59 for about 3 hours welding up the passenger side of the firewall. I covered the wiring with a welding glove and then had him back up the weld with a brass rod, long story short, no issues and it actually turned out pretty nice. Tonight I will prep the other side of the firewall and count how many holes I need to take care of. I maybe able to button this up this weekend, which would be really cool!

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

You guys made short order of those holes...great job.

5. dubie

dubie

I may have missed it along the way during this build thread but I take it you're going with a Vintage Air system or a different aftermarket heat and A/C source?

6. Pats6yhop

Pats6yhop
    from usa

I am going to make them exit under the step on each side far enough from the tire and body that they will not cause any problems.[​IMG]

7. 1959apache

1959apache

You didn't miss anything. I don't know at this point which way I am going. I have the original heater and everything, but don't know if I will install it. I am going to primarily drive this during the summer and I probably won't install air conditioning. I just want to be able to take it to a few shows and work the bugs out of it, then I can go through and really do some cool stuff to it.

8. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Buzz, still have about 10 more to go, but I am getting there.

I need to cut some patches out tonight so I can finish up the firewall. I have been doing a couple things to the '64 so it is a little more reliable while I wait on my radiator to arrive again, which should be tomorrow. Then I can button that up and start driving it and get it out of the extra spot in the garage.

9. bigdaddyking

bigdaddyking

1959Apache, thanks for posting the wiring diagram. I purchased a 59 fleetside last year and will be starting to restore it this summer, first i must sale the 53 cranbrook. Great work BTW.

BDK

10. 58ChevyApache

58ChevyApache

Where did you get this gas tank?

11. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks BDK, These trucks are fun to work with. I am going out there today to finish up the firewall and then get the interior prepped for primer and to get the floor finished. I'll post some more pictures soon

12. 1959apache

1959apache

It is a '64-66 Ford Mustang 16 gallon tank from Kentucky Mustang. It was $90-100 to get to my door. I really didn't have to do much to fix it to work. I am pretty happy with it.

13. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

subscribed.

Man, I just spent parts of the last two days reading and fast skimming this 52 page build. I am impressed with your determination. Is there any part of this truck that you have not welded on? I guess I'm pretty spoiled because the only two old cars I've had to work on did not have this much rust or bondo.

Keep at it. Enjoyed reading your build/life story of the last three years on your Apache. Good luck from one engineer to another.

Greg

14. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Greg, it means a lot. Yeah, I have done a lot to this pickup and know it is going to be a hell of a ride when it is rolling. Thanks for following!

15. 1959apache

1959apache

So my wife came out and gave me a hand with welding up the drivers side of the firewall. I have 3 more holes to do on the drivers side and one to do on the passenger side. She didn't mind getting dirty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I plugged up 3 more of those holes and decided to change gears a little and go back and strip all of or whatever small amount of surface rust is on the inside of the cab and get it shot into some primer. I am coming to the end game of the interior work and look forward to getting everything in there one color. I will post some pictures this evening

17. dubie

dubie

I'm at the point in wiring where the brake switch power comes in. Problem is , I don't have a brake switch to run power to. What did you do with the orange brake switch power wire and the white brake switch wire?

18. 1959apache

1959apache

I ran a generic brake switch (with lever) from the autoparts store that is normally closed when activated. Everytime I hit the brakes the switch starts to go back to its original factory position and the brake light goes off. I just ran my wires to that.

19. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Did you have issues with your ignition switch when you started working on the truck? IIRC? Im tryin to get my 58 started and im having issues with my ignition. Too many terminals not enough wires. Do you have anything to help me out?

20. 1959apache

1959apache

Yes I do have info for you. I am not home right now but when I come home I will check it out and let you know. I didn't have any problems when wiring it up

21. dubie

dubie

What wire did you hook your hazard lights up to on that signal stat 900 ? I have the same one in mine and have a grey/black wire and a red/green wire

22. 1959apache

1959apache

I have a 67 chevy van tilt column. so what are you talking about?

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I've read that several guys have use those Ford tanks and I always wonder how you do that IF you're using the factory gauge?

The factory Chevy sender is a five (six?) hole mount and the Ford tank uses one of those twist type collets to mount the sender. Can you clue me in? Using an aftermarket dash cluster?

24. 1959apache

1959apache

The factory Ford fuel sender reads the opposite of a GM sending unit; so full is empy and empty is full (there isnt any way to change it either). I just used a universal GM sending unit and made a hole in the top of the tank and dropped it in. It is that simple. I am using the stock gauge cluster

25. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I thought you were still running the original switch. Having some issues with wiring the switch. I have power at the starter, but nothing at the ignition switch. What do I need to check to find my issue?

26. dubie

dubie

I must have been mistaken, I thought I read back in your thread that you were wiring up a signal stat 900 turn signal unit.

27. 1959apache

1959apache

no, that does ring a bell though... Was it GreenGrenade, TaylorCrawford, Terd or Buzznut?

Boy, I just read my response to your question and it sound like I was being a dick, I assure you it wasn't suppose to come across like that, sorry Dubie

28. 1959apache

1959apache

I am running the original switch with a spring loaded start on it. Are you using the Rebel Wire kit? You should have a big fat red wire from the battery going to your fuse box to light everything up, from there it bounces to the main power on the IGN switch, obviously the post labeled GND is ground, so that should be grounded somewhere (I thought the switch was automatically grounded to the case, but I maybe wrong... I would hook it up to be safe). The small post on the starter that is hot when key is on should be hooked up while the key is in the run position (whatever post that is... I think IGN 1). IGN 2 is useless and is only usable if you have the key in the start position (in my case it is spring loaded, so it is really useless unless for anything else). Are you running the stock engine or a 350? HEI? I will post a picture for you when I get home this evening so you can check everything out

29. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I haven't been out in the garage really for a couple weeks, other than to do required maintenance on my wifes car and the C10. I am beat right now. I just spent two hours out in the garage getting a lot of the ceiling of the cab in some epoxy. I had to restrip everything to get the surface rust off of the steel, used acetone to clean it, then masked everything off and shot some primer. I spent some of Saturday getting around the rear window and spent tonight for the sides and the roof. This week I will try to get the door jambs done and then move to the dash. When all of that is finished then I will finally take care of the floor.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I am going to try to get the dash taken apart tonight, stripped down, and maybe that will be all, we will see. I would really like to get it into some epoxy tonight, but I know how long it will take me to strip everything down and that may take most of the time I have. I still have to do the door jambs... yuck.