Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best of Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftee6effie, Mar 9, 2013.

1. EAK69

EAK69

I am biased since I love ALL of the route.... BUT it really depends on what state you live in - as for Arizona folks, I tell them to take a weekend and drive the Williams to Oatman part to get the most of it.

I try to get to a section of it as often as I can - and DAILY I am talking to someone about it....

2. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

Be sure and stop by Words Garage in Elk City for any kind of repair or just to visit with the "Crusty owner" is worth the trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I've driven nearly the entire route over the years, except the remaining Illinois alignment. I am partial to the entire Oklahoma portion. The Round Barn in Arcadia, the Route 66 museum in Elk City, the little town of Erick on the OK/TX border.

When you go though Vinita, OK, stop at Clanton's Restaurant for their chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes. Believe me, you've never had chicken-fried steak until you've eaten there!!! They've been in business since the '20s.

In Miami, OK,stop at Koo-Koo's Drive in. Once part of a small chain, this is the only remaining one. Amazing burgers, and the best hot dogs you'll ever taste! Yes, Chicago and New York, I said the best!!!

Take your time and drive as much of the original road as possible. Some is not marked, so you will need a good Route 66 map that shows where the actual 1920s roadbed exists, and where you can actually drive on it. Throw that GPS away, it's not going to do you any good.

4. I am also lucky to live right off old Rt 66. I am just east of Albuquerque. I also travel old 66 everyday going to work, I live about 1.5 miles from Rt 66. I usually only drive on it about 1 mile until jumping on I-40, but depending on the day and what I am driving I will take it all the way onto ABQ for work sometimes.

The Lewis museum in Moriarity is a good stop. As stated, Rt 66 is now called Hwy 333 in NM.

5. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I think the same about Flagstaff, they don't do anything really to exploit it to the tourists. I can stand at my uncles feed store in seligman and seem them come in by the busloads! All they care about here in flag are trees and bicycles.....HA

6. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Ate a good beef sandwich with grilled onions and cherry peppers on it at a little restaurant called the Kopper Kart ( I think) in the early 90's in Seligman. Is it still there?

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

back in the late 40's and up to the mid 50's there were abandoned cars all along the hiway in west texas ,new mexico, arizona and california along with all the tourist traps---i have been on all of it except that one lane part---great fun to follow the oldest route you can find---lot of pain on that road for us arkies and okies ...

8. Maria

Maria

The whole trip was awsom!!! Try to visit devils elbow and Seligman.

9. the round barn...very cool....brought the wife back some "rose rocks".....she flipped over em...then right down the road is POPS......if ya can t find ya something to drink there , ya ain t thirsty......

10. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Main street of Barstow, CA is the old Hwy 66. There are quite a few buildings, restaurants, etc. that were around back in the 40's and 50's that are still in business. Take a left on 1st street and take a 1 mile trip to see the restored train depot, which also houses a cool Rt. 66 museum (I believe it's only open Fri - Sun.). Then as you continue east on Main you'll see Barstow Station, a McDonalds/gift shops/etc. built out of old train cars.

Gas up in Barstow, it's a long barren stretch between Barstow and Needles. At Amboy, you'll see Roy's cafe and motel. The one and only resident of Amboy is in the process of restoring the old place. He'll sell you some gas at somewhere well north of $5/gal.

Have a great trip!!

Attached Files:

11. its a good threat ... need some more informations.
    I will spend my next vacation 4 weeks in the US. 2 weeks route 66 from chicago to l.a. - after that relaxing on the beach in l.a. and than to utah and colorado.

12. If you were doing the Illinois route...Del Ray's Chicken Basket off of I-55 near Madison Ave I believe in probably Willowbrook area. The area across the street used to be a helicopter pad. Great food if it is still there...

Billet Specialties old facility used to be down the road...if that places it for anyone. (Now let me here you guys cry and barf....)

Have fun!

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There's a small section that you can drive on below the 15 freeway off Kendall in San Bernardino (not far from the 15/215 merger). It's only a few miles until it takes you back to the 15 but it's eerie almost like a ghost road. And if you look carefully, you can see remains of old buildings and signs.
    If you go south on the 15, pass the 210 and exit Foothill Blvd, you will hit a very busy section of 66 that continues for miles and still very much alive.

14. hudson48

hudson48

Loved the whole trip from Chicago almost all the way to CA.Another great stop is Erick Oklahoma to see Harley & Annabelle.

http://vimeo.com/11381090

15. tjmercury

tjmercury

Just stopped cruised in to the Ku-Ku in Miami, Ok last night! Great food and malts!

16. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Stopped for burgers in Seligman on the way to Viva Las Vegas 2013. Love that town!

Attached Files:

17. I went to 1st through 8th grade on 66, a block for the "Worlds Safest Drag Strip"

18. When I was a kid this section was mostly vineyards. With the topless bar known as the Cowgirl Saloon.

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Times have sure changed. I would have loved to visit that Topless bar.:D

20. Model T1

Model T1

Being from central Illinois I've driven the original Ill Rt 66 many times. Once with parents went out west but can't remember how much of it they traveled.
    A fun cruise was many years ago we took the old Vette to Bloomington Gold and cruised north on much of old Rt 66.
    We still hit parts of it each year we head back near Peoria. Stop in Springfield and Lincoln where pieces remain.
    the Cozy Dog on the south side of town for lunch. Yep been there.
    Why does that old highway thrill us so much?

21. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Also a pretty neat spot, Memories, in Atlanta, Il. with a really good old timer restaurant down the street.

22. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

It's all good but, Oklahoma has the most preserved miles of original Route 66.

23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Here in Berdo, 66 'starts' just the other side of the Santa Ana River wash off the 15 Fwy and then heads just into Berdo then turns right for the drive to the coast. But, as you drive, coast, down the 15/Devore Summit one can see a four lane highway just off to the right down the mountain side. That is the old Route 66. You can get on it just past the weight station, but you have to exit just before the river wash, you can see where it went across to the other side,,, so? In a year or so, the County and CalTrans are going to blow apart the 15/215 Interchange for 5 years. But to do that they need another route across the wash,,,, yup. They are going to reconnect the old sections together, from what I have seen. You know the governments. So maybe we will get a little bit of 66 back.

24. Mercchev

Mercchev

Seligman definitely, and stay at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ.

Attached Files:

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Now that would be cool. Everytime I drive by that broken section of 66, it saddens me to see it that way. I hope they reconnect it and leave it connect even after the work on the 15/215 merger is finished. By the way, is there any info about this on the net? I would love to read it myself.

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

27. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG]

two guns west of winslow is worth stopping for.

28. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG]

Old bridge on 66 at two guns

29. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

It's still there and food still great. It was on the Diners Driveins and Dives tv show a while back. Before the heli pad it was an airport across the street. Yes I think it is Willowbrook. Rte 66 comes and goes that close to Chicago. If you are on I55 it's easiest to get off at Rte 83 northbound and turn east at the first intersection to come back to old Rts66.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  30. I got my 1st tattoo next to that I think Pepper and Foothill, the shop was Emipire.