Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragster (driver) project - What to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Apr 22, 2013.

1. I drove on down to MoKan Sunday morning witha heavy heart. I'd been thinking about the digger a lot and wondered if I should be selling it. We have a daughter in college, a son who is a sophmore in high school and some other unexpected expenses coming up. Then there is the fact that I have a 4 hour one way drive to get to a track to run her. Finally she scares the crap out of me! All that said I thought the responsible thing would be to sell her and use the money more wisely.

I got to the track and even though I have jitters had a pretty good day taking baby steps in learning to drive a dragster. I actually ran a 9.3961at only 122 on a run with a lot of pedaling and 1/2-2/3 throttle, shutting off a bit early. Gives me confidence and hope. I only made two passes as the valley pan started leaking pretty good. Didn't feel like pulling the blower and intake there to fix it.

The ride home was solemn too as I pondered what to do.

Talked to Cheryl, my dear wife, about it all and she shocked me. She said that she didn't think it was a good idea for me to sell the digger. She thought that I had put so much of myself into the car that it would be like selling a part of me, and that I would regret it. I said that it didn't seem like a smart thing to do but she responded, and I quote, "Racing isn't about being smart, is it?" :-D She's not into cars but boy does she understand me. I lover her more each day!!!

So now I'm kind of conflicted, I don't want to sell the digger and I know that I have Cheryl's blessing but I know that the money it would bring would help. It's not like things won't happen if I don't sell it but still.

Still can't believe God is letting play with such cool toys. Now if only I could find the courage to keep my foot in it a little longer. ;-)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. Sounds like you need to keep from regretting selling it.

No big upgrades and meter your usage or you can always just park it and come back to it in a couple years when the kids are out of school.

I sold the TE440 I had and was OK with that because It wasn't nearly the project you had with yours. I would live a life of regret if I ever had to sell the Model A though.

good luck with the decision, it's yours to make.

3. Keep the dragster. Once its gone you will never find the time & money to do it again. Life is short, enjoy what you have now. You can always find ways to make money and take care of other business as it comes along. Your dragster is a once in a lifetime happening and its no fun watching all the other guys from a bleacher seat.

4. Hang on to it for now.

5. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I agree with flt-blk. You know that racing a vintage dragster is in your blood. You are fortunate to have a loving, supportive wife at your side. The money issues can be worked out. Hope to see you at the HAMB Drags in a few months!

6. Here's a shot John took of Sam towing me back to the pits. My chief crew guy, Travis our son, is in the passenger side of Sam's pickup.

[​IMG]

7. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

You don't want to give that up, do you?

8. Sure don't. Travis REALLY doesn't want to see it go. I think he want's to drive her. :)

I think I'll just beat the urge to be responsible into submission.

9. rooman

rooman

Kerry,
    you built a good, safe car--awesome for a first effort--and you will get to the point where you can leg it to the finish line with more practice.
    I started out running 1/8 mile in my street car and eventually graduated to a six cylinder dragster that ran in the low 11's in the 1/4. Nearly 40 years later the first half track pass that I made in the car that I built for Dan Horan Sr was an 8.98 and it definitely got my attention. I had the advantage of having driven a front motor dragster before and knew roughly what to expect whereas it is all new for you. Keep at it mate you will get there.

Roo

10. captmullette

captmullette

I wouldn't give it up unless it was a money burden on the family, you'll get accustomed to the car and speed after a while and will probably want to go faster...... and yes you have a good family

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Driving a blown car the first time can be quite intimidating. I have seen first time drivers run and pull the chute only to realize they only went 300ft out. Your car, your butt in the seat, and when you stage-you OWN the track, take as much time as you need to get acustomed to running it.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You seem to be outvoted by family, friends, and HAMBERS about keeping it VS letting it go, and my vote is to keep it also. I wish I'd never sold my FED, or RED, or most of the cars I've had. It is a matter of PRIORITIES however. What about a buy-in partner? Sponsorship? Or even putting it on the back burner for a while? In the end, you have to do what you have to do. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. If all else fails we can stuff that engine in our lakester ;)

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

If life gets in the way, park it.

Dont get rid off it.

Thats what I did with my racer more than 20 years ago.

And yes, it was a pain in the ass to store and keep safe all those years.

But it was good to know it was there, waiting for me to go racing again then the time was right.

And I think right now, the time is right.

Parts are ordered, when they get here I'll start working on it.

I'm pretty lucky that I was able to keep it...

The only thing I'd do different, if I would have known, is prepare the car better for long term storage.

So I wouldnt have to replace quite as many parts, right now...:rolleyes:

15. oj

oj

This is a decision that you don't make by committe. If it scares you and you aren't comfortable then its' best not to drive it. Somebody is telling you something. If the big decision is to sell or not, then that would be up to whether your son can step into it. If he wants to give a whack at the throttle then stick some injectors on it instead of the blower and you should be able to make full passes in the 8's and learn the 'doing' side of racing so when your son is ready he can step in and after a while put the blower back on it.
    There is something about serious horsepower that affects people, most people never get a chance to experience it. You are lucky that you have felt it but it might not be the right thing for you.
    It's your call, be honest with yourself.

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Kerry ,,, The first time I drove a dragster it scared the crap out of me:(, told my buddy I didn't think I could do this stuff after all,I would get the shakes and be sick to my stomach, but I kept at it,, years later driveing my last car , I would stand on the peddle as hard as I could trying to get a little more speed out of it, that was around 30 years ago, Now I'm building another one:eek:, and can't wait to get back in the seat, Take your time and get used to it, I think you will regret selling it,,,, Tim Jones

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I vote keep it. It is so much fun.

Travis is fun to work with. I watched my friend John Umlaugh run his front engine car yesterday. His whole family is his pit crew, and his son, that I have know since he was very young, is his very capable crew chief. I believe they had the fastest time and speed yesterday.

John

18. ryno

ryno

I posted some pics and videos or you Kerry on face book.
    Take them and post them here.
    Baby steps like roman said ,ya did good yesterday.

19. Don't you have an extra kidney you can sell? :D

I did sell my coupe project, but I don't regret it every day. I figured it wouldn't do too much more than my truck for me, and I got to buy a cool willys wagon with what was leftover after I took care of the financial obligation that prompted the sale. It was a huge relief knowing I could stay out of debt.

Only you can decide grasshopper.

20. With you son in High school I would definatly keep it and let him run it when he gets his license just think of the fun you would have with your son driving and you as crew chief and head honcho, I just would love to have my son here with me as I go on the road but he passed away a few years ago and now it will never be, so I keep the dragster and maybe the grandson will be my pilot soon. There is nothing more important than bonding with your son, and a dragster is one cool way to bond ......... Of course like was said earlier maybe not blown to start with....

21. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Kerry, here's a thought: turn it into a show car. Chrome it up a bit, a little paint and polish and do the show circuit.

If you don't want to race it, it's your car, your call.

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kerry, if you are going to be thankful for anything be thankful for such a wonderful and smart wife!!

Doc.

23. raven

raven

Knowing Cheryl and what she said, I think that speaks volumes. That being said, you are the one that has to seek out the truth He's giving you for your life and there your answer will be.
    r

24. 1arock

1arock

First off, did they somehow move the track farther away during the night while you were asleep, did you sudenly wake up and realize you had kids, does your wife probably know you better than anyone else? I don't know your situation but, it sounds like it is about the same as when you started this project.
    If this thing doesn't scare you then I'd say you were too stupid to own it. What did you expect it was magically gonna go straight down the track, setting a new record, on the first pass and you were gonna get out all cool and shit signing auotgraphs and kissing trophy girls.
    I'll bet if you quit before you ever really get started you will regret it for the rest of your life. I'm building a blown race type hot rod that all my friends that do drag race really fast stuff say is going to scare the crap out of me. I say if I don't get out after the first full pass shakng like a titty dancer needing to pay the rent I'm gonna be pissed off.
    In the end you need to do what YOU want my opinoin or anyone elses don't really matter. But I say keep it until at least it don't scare you any more.
    By the way very cool hotrod.

25. World's Fastest Mennonite...

26. Thanks for all the sound advice guys. Met Cheryl for lunch and talked it over again. We're definitely going to keep the digger. :)

The very first thing in my life is God. He's blessed me in so many ways and carried me through so much I can't begin to describe it.

The second thing in my life is Cheryl and our kids. Did I mention how much God has blessed me?

Work is in there somewhere and toys are down the list. And yet when I shouldn't have been able to afford stuff God opened doors and stuff happened. I only hope I can use what He's shared with me for His glory.

As for being scared, if I wasn't I'd be an idiot! There's head knowledge and then there is reality. Until I strapped myself in and tried it I thought I knew, now I do. Going fast will come in time but I am gonna whine a bit about getting there. FWIW 1arock, my other ride is a blown hemi powered 31 Pontiac that's turned a best of 12.10 @115.10. It's like driving a vw bug compared to the Dragmaster.

27. Good to hear my friend. HAUL ASS

28. They're supposed to scare you man! The only cure for that is seat time, it'll get better with every pass.

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wish I still had my old hot rod.

30. Ricci32

Ricci32

One of the coolest builds on here i vote keep it brother. It prompted me to build my fed.