Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hackman Model-A With BURNOUTS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Yes there will be top wood and bows in the roof. I will replace the rest with steel. The floor will also be Oak with a dark finish.

2. UPDATE

I was able to get the steering box pretty much fit into place and kind of get an idea on column placement over the past week.

I took a break from the car to drive 1120 miles, one way, in one day to the March Meet with my good buddies. What a neat experience. Lots of neat cars and more vintage diggers and door slammers than I have ever seen.

Ill post a couple pics.

More on the build this week. Gotta get my ass back into gear.

Hack

3. Here is a couple shots from the Big Show.

Attached Files:

4. Update.

As of this week I have pretty much gotten the steering finished up. I made my F1 steering box flange adaptor and column drop and fastened eeverything up. I also went the F1 brakes, spindles and hubs route for 2 reasons. Better brakes and I happened to have the whole set up. I re bushed and machine the kingpin fits and installed with no issues except you have to use the F1 kingpins to locate the lock pin slot correctly. Anyway, here are some pics of my progress and I will have the pedals installed shortly.

Cheers
    Hack

Attached Files:

5. Update

This week I made up my pedal to master cylinder adaptor. The pedals are F1 and the master is an NOS 59 Chrysler unit. I had the master from a lot that I ended up with and I figure if it would stop a 59 Chrysler, it will stop the A bone. Anyway, I was able to make up the parts and get them in the car. I also cut down the pedal arms to a more managable length and tacked them in place. I also finally got my missing axle in the mail from Ukon, installed it and was able to finally get the car on its tires. This weekend will be full of updates as I am going to be able to bring the car to work for 2 days. time to haul ass.

Hack

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. Nice work! I really enjoyed going over your pictures. Good to see you can do it all yourself.

7. Thank you my good man. I take a lot of pride in that too.

I forgot to mention that I have the steering all finished up and I will post pics later today.

Thanks for checkin it out and thank you for the kind words guys.

Hack

8. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Awesome work, I can't wait for more, subscribed....

9. Here are the pics of the steering set up. I modified an F1 Pitman arm to clear the radius rod. I fully "V ed the pieces, welded and post heated as necessary. The drag link was made from left over F1 parts as well. The ball end was turned and sleeved into the drag link rod and welded as well as plug welded to ensure a safe part. The tie rod is mAde from Dom.

Thanks for watching and like I said before, this weekend will yield a lot of progress.

Attached Files:

10. Ok boys I have a monster update.

So when I last updated I was on the way to work to build the shock mounts, floor (front to back) and some other little brackets. The first pics show that progress. Secondly I mounted the shifter and links as well as notched the floor bracing for clearance. Then it was off to my Dads place for some ass kicking exhaust work. My old man is and always has been the law in perf exhaust around here and I'm totally happy with the results. Thanks Dad! I also began installing the wood in the body with the help of my good buddy Conor. We stained the pieces with a dark Walnut finish. I still have to make the headlight bar and do some other minor fab stuff. But for the most part its together. And the fun part starts pretty soon. I want to say thank you to my future father in law, Kelly, for keeping me stocked with "consumables" and motivation. Anyway, here are some pics. Thanks for checkin it out.

Hack

11. Here are the pics

Hack

Attached Files:

12. More

Attached Files:

13. davo461

davo461

I don't think you are a 'hack man' at all. lol
    Very nice work, and I love the avatar.
    Davo.

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Definitely no hack! That A coupe is tidy! Keep at it.. How many days out of the 300 do you have left now?

15. 29ToyA

29ToyA

16. Thanks for the kind words guys! As for the remaining days, the wedding is the 14th of September. So i'm actually ahead of where I figured I would be!

That never happens. hahaha

17. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Sweet build. and great work.

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool build and nice work! I'm following along....

Malcolm

19. Thanks again guys. So I ran into a little snag on the roof header (more like I knew it was coming) and ended up having to narrow it about a half inch. When I did the chop, instead of leaning everything out to match the pillars up, I narrowed the top to fit the correct angle of the "A" pillars so it would look a little more sanitary. So my main man Conor (the wood master again) sectioned a piece out and made it fit perfectly. I will post more pics tonight and will hopefully get the roof wood finished up.

Hack

20. farmer12

farmer12

Clean looking coupe, very nice!

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Nice stuff....:D:cool:

22. Ok guys time for an update.

I installed the rest of the roof wood and brackets as well as the header covers and visor. I had to remove a half inch of width from each to line them up. I finished up the floors as well and I am working on the fuel tank at this time. I was also able to get the headlight bar modified and the tail lights (39) installed.

We rolled it out yesterday and took some pics in the sun.

So now the fun parts,

Ill post as I go,

Hack

Attached Files:

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looking good Hackman.. I like the low-low headlight bar and it sits real good.. You and the soon to be MRS will be style'n in that cool coupe....

24. Milo,
    Thanks man. I really appreciate that. I figured that if I had the headlights as low as within reason, it would add in the overall "low" look.

25. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I love a SBC/4Spd HotRod. Bitchen!!!

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That rear 3/4 shot under the awning looks so good! I must have missed it, but did you mention what color you were going to paint this?

27. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You need the 48" Axle up front. The 46" is too narrow for fenders.

28. This actually is the 48 incher. The fenders are sagging a bit and the tires are toed in in the pic. Nothing was really tightened down as of then.. I was considering a spacer on the hub to wheel surface to even it up a little more if needed.

Good eye,

Hack

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  29. Thank you! The car will eventually be gloss black, but as for its maiden voyage it will be DP74 red oxide with black on blabk wheels and tires.!

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That made me feel better about mine, I've got a 48 inch wide SoCal axle and keep reading that I needed a 46 or 47 inch wide one to run fenders.