Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Nice! I'm going to have to do the exact same thing. For some reason my tranny sits way up in the passenger compartment. The yoke is right up against the stock floorboard.

2. Here'a a pic of my rear trans mount. It's just it has to be there. I could have went lower but for the engine angle., x marks the spot. The problem area was about a foot behind the seat where the floor was really flat.

Attached Files:

3. Well the hood and door gaps are the best i can get it without doing the welding edges thing. Good enough for the girls i go with. I got the left side blocked with a long board and 220 grit. Applied a final coat of primer to be blocked again with 400. Feels not bad for a driver.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

right-on, looks like a driver to me

5. EBW

EBW

I would drive the $#%Q out of that !! Great work !!

6. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Great job Tedley

7. Oh ya, i'm gonna wear it out.
    Thanks guys

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

That's looking great! I wish I was this far along !

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

10. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I'm not sure how you can make those gaps any better. Looks great!

11. They are not bad. I've seen worse i guess. They were never known for a fine fit. Utility grade in my book. The fit i really hate I the roundness at adjacent panels. I you hold a strait edge across the gaps they usually have a fairly significant dip at the gap. I made a special bumping bar to pound out the edges at the 1/4 door gaps so the transition is smoother. Bumped out the fender edges as well. Still have a metal egdes versus just filling.I could have gone further and welded around the doors and filed the gaps but this is not a show car.

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

THATS NOT FAIR! Mine suck and I wished you lived close cause I would be sitting in front of your house to fix my gaps!

13. It's not difficult really, just a time thing. Being a light colored car the gaps have to reasonable as they stick out like a pinstripe. Dark colors hide gaps beautifully.

14. Nice build, and great to see the home made skirts.

Keep up the good work

15. Thanks i'm getting closer to the last sanding i hope. I got the entire car under it's last coat of primer ready to block one more time with 400 grit. If it wasn't for all the hockey games on the tube i'd have it ready for paint in no time. But there is still a lot of snow around and i have time.

Attached Files:

16. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

17. Looking great. I hope to be able to use some of your ideas when I get around to building my shoebox. I'm guessing you're going with white for the paint?

18. Thanks. The color is Kool Vanilla or just cream if you like. I'm not a fan of white rods and customs but i like the vintage cream look. Something different for me this time around. Easier to keep clean was kept in mind for a daily driver.

19. daddio211

daddio211

I envision candy gold Watson-esque scallops over that vanilla base!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. That would look great but i'm building this car to be used alot and keeping maintenance in mind which includes the paint. Getting fancy just complicates repairs and color matching sometimes. So basic paint here so i can do quick repaints i case of a boo boo and boo boo's happen.

21. I second the scallop idea but I understand your reasoning.

22. daddio211

daddio211

See? YOU CAN DOOOO EEEEEET!

23. A little minor update. Splashed some tremclad primer inside. Sure cleaned things up a bit. I'll give it a top coat later.

Attached Files:

24. A little paint underneath and things are getting closer to paint on top.

Attached Files:

25. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Looking good. Hope I can make it to this step one day. Haha can't wait to see this thing finished. The gaps on the care are killer by the way.
    -Dane

26. Well, i have a painter booked for this weekend from work and she , yes i said she, is a good painter. Unusual in this trade. Her husband is the Dupont paint rep as well. I'll have my hands full this week getting it ready.

27. daddio211

daddio211

She? That's pretty cool! Never enough ladies in the industry!

28. 4rod

4rod

lookin great...

29. Coming along nice

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  30. Shoeboxke

Shoeboxke

Awesome build...looking forward to see it finished!!