Register now to get rid of these ads!

mystery auburn speedster on Ebay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by easttown, Apr 20, 2013.

1. I'm with you, Don. I don't think it's horrible. In fact there are a few things that were very well executed in my opinion. Other things, not so much. I think it has potential. Someone obviously put a lot of time into it.

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i'm with carl,don and saxman---a lot to like...

3. Looks pretty roached to me!!! The ass end is gross compared to what is should look like!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

I was kinda likin' the transmission mount: angle iron and a 2 x 4. :eek:

5. I agree that the builder had skill but lacked taste It took skill to form the body,but it looks like a cats butt sewed up with a logging chain! especially what is underneath it

6. I'm guessing there was more than one builder involved here. Someone built that car and it eventually was sold to person or persons unknown. The last owner was a butcher and swapped in that engine, trans and other parts not original to the first build. The front suspension does remind me of my old Hudson, but It's been a long time since I was under one. I'll bet it was nice at one time

7. alsancle

alsancle

I have to retract my "few real auburn bits" comment as a friend who happens to be the former ACD club Auburn historion said he couldn't find a single Auburn part on the car.

Doesn't mean it should be crushed but it could stand to have a few things cleaned up. Reminds me more of the Topper car than an Auburn Speedster.

[​IMG]

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

After reading this, it makes you wonder if it might have been a Henny employee that used his skills as a craftsman to build this car. It was his vision of a car he could never afford. He used what he had available. It might not be a perfect replica, but it was his vision.

9. easttown

easttown

Judging from the fabric covered wiring and the other donor parts,i'd say that the car was built in the 1951-55 period..The dashboard,when you look at it closely,has all the gauge insets chamfered ..prob looked great at the time.

10. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Maybe I missed something... I tend to do that. But the First words in the title are Replica/Kit. I dont think they are trying to pass it off as real...

11. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Instead of hiding it away in a barn they should have fixed it

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Interesting to me, because I don't "get" it, the guy offering this ( has been asked to "represent") has had a string of really, really oddball one off's in recent months.

Where the hell do these oddball cars come from and how is it, exactly, that this fellow is such a lightning rod for owners and estates selling odd cars. Is there a Brotherhood for weird customs? You would think if he is just a contract seller, odds are, he'd get some normal cars to sell.

I think the answer to that would be at least as interesting as the cars themselves.

Ray

13. carbuilder

carbuilder

If I had the funds I would bid on it, had a cal custom coach fiberglass kit in the early 80s I was building, a guy came along & made me a great offer & away it went un finished. I think this one has some great potential this is a neat barn find in metal.

14. As the old man would say "that's a real peach!"

Interesting but yikes- not for me.