Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picked up a SOLID 56 Cadillac this weekend!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyard junky, Apr 14, 2013.

1. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Elvis would approve.

2. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

Nice, Im building one right now. Interior looks great. Definitely a cool car.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

there are no words to describe how much i hate you.

Beautiful car

4. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Nice find!:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Found a few things that need to be fixed. Broken speedo cable, speedo is locked up, battery is not being charged when running and the vent cables are froze.

Anyone know if I need to drop the column a little to pull the speed? I took the four screws out and the bottom cover on the column off. Do I need to discounnect the vent ables from the speedo?

6. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

x2!

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

NO, you don't need to drop the column or the instrument cluster...and you shouldn't have to remove the cables...you should be able to get your hand up in there ...it's simply a 'collar' around the speedo cable that unscrews...

R-

8. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I have the cable unhooked. The speedo is locked up and I'm trying to figure out if I need to unhooked the vent cables in order to pull the whole speedo out so that I can send it off to get it fixed. Took the four screws out in the speedometer and it still wouldn't move.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There's prolly more than four screws holding the speedo assembly in, if that's what you are trying to remove...on a '55 there's about 10.

And to answer your first question, yes, you will need to drop the column to remove the instrument cluster.

Perhaps you are talking about the heater controls on the side of the instrument cluster and not the "vent cables"...you would need to remove the heater cables...and those are just "loops" of wire that fit over the controls-usually one small screw holding each one on to the cluster.

Hope that helps...

R-

10. LowBlazin

LowBlazin
    from Austin, TX

Wow, what a clean car. My all-time fave caddy

11. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

After a couple of months of not working on it I started in on the car. Had to send the speedo off to get rebuilt. Bought a rebuilt brake booster, master cylinder and water pump. Replaced the usual stuff like thermostat and hoses,etc. Drove it to the local car earlier this month. Did pretty good. Dash light will not come on. Traced it down to the headlight switch. Anyone know where I can pick one up?

12. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I find it kinda funny that since you posted this thread, I was actually able to purchase one as well! Your cars stayed alot drier than mine, but I love these cars! Where did you order your parts at?

Mine
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383018943.711839.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I just hit my 64 yo head light switch w/ wd-40 and it works like new. Symptoms ...very stiff operation and dimmer was stuck (off, unfortunately)

14. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

deeeeceeeent!

15. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Dagmars!:rolleyes:

16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate you... green with envy.

17. Nice car...
    I want one too!
    What ever happened with the 50 Merc. you drug to Oklahoma City for the chop job in the Gene Winfield class?

18. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I still have the 51. Haven't done much to it. Been collecting parts such as doors and another front end. I need start working on it sometime.

19. Love it! I wish I could find a '55 myself but hey I wouldn't complain if I found a '56.