Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville 1990 The Lost Video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dechrome, Apr 16, 2013.

1. dechrome

dechrome

In 1990, four Stroker Club members from St. Louis and four Terre Haute friends rented a motorhome and made a dream trip to Bonneville Speedweek. Recently I rediscovered 3 1/2 hours of video taken at that event. My purpose here is to see if there is any interest in my converting this to CD for sale at a modest price.
    This is raw video without music of pit tours, starting line action, staging,and runs including two days of record runs. With the engine sounds, you can almost smell the nitro. The final run is Al Teague's run for 400mph where he was given an extra mile to accelerate.
    Many of the cars no longer run like the Pierson Bros. and So Cal coupes and the Redhead streamliner. Also Wendy Jefferies pink lakester.
    Two of the group became Bonneville Racing News contributers. Please respond if you have any interest.
    And now I know that without pictures nothing happened, so I will post some pictures from the event.

deChrome

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. dechrome

dechrome

And a few more to wet your apetite.
    deChrome

Attached Files:

3. I for one would love to see that happen. A lot of the participants that ran in 1990 are no longer with us, so it represents a great piece of Land Speed Racing history.

4. Ole don

Ole don

Please figure out a cost to help us decide, including postage to the lower 48.

5. The 114 roadster in the first post was just bought by Tony and Chick Huntimer. It is going back to the salt and dry lakes!

6. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

ah....the 216 (Pierson coupe)...my uncle Tom's old car. i got to sit in that as they towed it back from a run. it was really loud in there at 55MPH on the return road.

7. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

also, i probably have a load of pictures of cars around this time period (86-92) sitting in a plastic bin somewhere. my dad does, too.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Also the 114, Salt Circus car would have been running my old Howard head/GMC. I never see my car on the HAMB but at least my old engine made it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  9. Tony said the head had moved on. The car last ran with a SBC. I am sure they will chime in here.

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

T Man, Rich (why don't you come to Rod Rider meetings?), yes Chick and I just bought the Salt Circus. George Campbell was someone that made the both of us feel like friends and he was. The roadster last ran in 2004 with the SBC and as T Man said we plan to run one also to get the new bugs out of the car. I am working with McTim about finishing our motor, thought I have to tell him to ignore the bowties markings. Later we would like to put a GMC back in, but I don't think we will be able to afford a new Howard Head from the Fergusons. The record for XXO Street Roadster at El Mirage was made by the Salt Circus in 1992 and it still stands, thanks to Rich of course! Any other Salt Circus photos and stories would be appreciated. Sorry for stealing this thread, and yes I would be interested in a CD!

11. I hop you don't mind me posting that after our chat since you did post in online already!?!?!:D:eek:

I would be interested in a copy as well.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I am kind of far from the Rod Rider meetings in San Mateo. Kind of a wimp excuse i know. I'll work on something better.

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Tman no worries, it will jump start me to really go after the history and I will post some photos of the 'find' and the rebuild.
    Rich, I knew but couldn't pass up the chance for a little dig. I would really like to hear more about the motor George ran, I will pm you.
    We are excited to have a real 'warehouse' find-historical-vehicle that has had very little change since it was on the cover of our 2005 calendar.

14. pontman

pontman

I'm in! Should be cool.

15. I'd buy one. We were running the Swamp Rat 33 Streamliner that year and do not have any video.

16. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Put me down for 2 copies.
    Need to keep the history going for sure.
    Great job. Thanks,

17. Man, those pics bring back some memories.....

I was there as a minor pit flunky for Hank Lawshe's 117xxvcc bantam. Been so long ago it's hard to remember it all. Had a blast though....

The gal in the bikini would pose by your car for a few bucks.....I still have a bunch of those pics.

18. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

Definetly want two copies

19. classic gary

classic gary

Not just yes but, hell yes, one for me.......

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Hanks car was way to cool. IMHO. If you have pictures of it please post them.

21. aircap

aircap

Just out of curiousity, how many among your group was taking video?
    Is it a culmination of several, or just one cameraman?

22. dechrome

dechrome

The video was taken and described by myself over 4 days. Racing was supposed to start on Sunday in 1990 but a rain storm delayed the start until Monday. We had to leave on Wed. after the Teague 400 mph attempt.
    George Cambell raced the Salt Circus car at the Wentsville Mo. nostaliga drags several times with the GMC engine. I raced him as well as Don Miller in his blown flathead powered yellow street roadster. My flathead sprintcar didn't compete with these guys very well. This tape will have a small amount of the 1990 Wentsville drags as well as some coverage of the 1990 NSRA Nationals in Columbus, Oh. If you like Majenta colored, pro street, street rods with graphics, this may be an added bonus.
    deChrome

23. dechrome

dechrome

Just a couple of additional pictures, one of the Salt Circus GMC engine and the other of the Don Miller flathead before the burnt piston in previous post.

deChrome

Attached Files:

24. Looking forward to it.

25. Have you come up with a cost yet?

26. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I am drooling over the Salt Circus shots and now I know what the motor at least looked like.
    Thanks,,, make that TWO copies,, and if there are shots of George racing the Salt Circus,,,,

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

All you needed to do was ask. When it was still mine and in my coupe

Attached Files:

28. tex34ford

tex34ford

I'd be interested as well.

29. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

I'm good for a couple.

DW

30. dechrome

dechrome

Thanks for your interest. Please see my ad in the MISC. classifieds.
    There is a shot of George Cambell's record run as well as the #33 Speedway streamliner.
    And a few more pictures

deChrome

Attached Files: