Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cup holders in a hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortynut

fortynut

Looking for love in all the wrong places?

ttps://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle cup holders&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

Have a blast Amigo!

2. George604

George604
    from usa

The cup holder in my 48 is the same as Kevin's current one.... one more use for duct tape![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

I used this style in my '52 Chevy fleetline, one uder each wing window. Mind are chromed and look like part of the door design and fit right in a '50's ride. :D

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they still make them, most of the auto parts stores have them, you learn quick to hold the drink, then slam the door first

5. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Walmart has them

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So true, but it usually takes me several times to get into the behavior modification mode, or not, depending on how much I "want" things to work out.

In my case, mounting a cup holder on the door of my old Dakota (which already had cool hidden cup holders) was really just a test for my 37 sedan build. I screwed one of those plastic fold down units on the driver's side door to see how I liked it and after the first few douches figured it was beyond my pay grade to get the hang of it. They would work well on a vertical face of a console, though. And I doubt any passenger I had would be in favor of them, especially after you forgot to read them the "Shotgun Operating Procedures" briefing before you hit the DQ. Gary

7. Found this magnetic coozie at Dick's, it stays up surprisingly well.:D

Attached Files:

8. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

Cup holders in the console of my Austin.Not a real good picture but it will have to do.

Attached Files:

• 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      209 KB
      Views:
  9. A Rodder

A Rodder

I have a couple of these, the work great, I took from a car I sold.
    The hook into the gap between the glass and inner door.
    I used them in my coupe for a couple weeks and was pleased, from a narrow coffee thermas to a 44 oz. diet pepsi.

Loved it so much a took it out of the car to run in my 29 roadster last week.

Well, let me tell you, there ain't no glass to keep the "hook" vertical.

I was swimming in diet pepsi and ice after 20 feet of leaving Taco Bell.

Pissed me off, had to hose out the car, running boards, etc.

They still will work in the cars with glass though.

It isn't that the holder doesn't hold the cup, it was because the hook flexed and opened up.

And.......probably isn't ideal for 44oz. sodas, but hey, I am an addict......

10. wsdad

wsdad

You could mount one of these boat cup holders to a strong magnet.
    [​IMG]

That way you could simply snap or un-snap it anywhere on your metal dash that you wanted, any time you wanted. The piston ring cup holder or the thick spiral wire wound cup holders would also work equally well with a magnet.

Shinysideup's piston ring, post #22:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

46stude's spiral, post #130:
    [​IMG]

Harbor Freight sells some magnets that may work. This one is $7.00 and comes with an attractive chrome cover and a hole already drilled in the middle (take the handle off).

[​IMG]

The ad says it will hold up to 25 pounds. That's equal to the weight of 3 gallons of water! As anyone who's played with magnets knows, though, that's pulling in a straight line, and not on one side as one would be if it were stuck to your dash with a cup holder hanging from it.

All microwaves have two extremely strong magnets inside them. They are very hard to pull off of anything metal. They are a little brittle, though, so I'd bend up some sort of thick sheet metal cover to protect them. The microwave magnets are much, much stronger than the Harbor Freight magnets, if they prove not up to the task.

On a T-bucket windshield, you might even put one magnet on each side of the glass so that they clamp onto each other. You could coat the surfaces that touch the glass with Plasti-dip (liquid rubber) so they don't mar it, and to provide some friction so they don't slide down.
    [​IMG]
    (It also comes in other colors.)

Your cup holder would hang on the inside magnet. The outside magnet would provide a unique place to attach something meaningful or decorative. Perhaps a club plaque, funny message, skull, Maltese cross, chrome lady silhouette, a pin wheel, a bobble head head, or a giant fake splatted bug. Or just keep it simple with the round chrome thingy. Or you could nearly make it disappear altogether by gluing a lady's round compact mirror on it.

The glass mounted cup holder may not be a good idea for passengers because they would want to play with it. The second the inside magnet is removed, the outside one would disappear, probably onto the guy's windshield behind you.

These are all untested ideas. Feel free to have fun experimenting.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  11. mohead1

mohead1

Boat or RV accessories place will have a good selection of all kinds of drink holders, something surely can be adapted.....heck, i need one too! or actually TWO of em so the little woman can have one

12. Having used the duct tape coffee cup holder in my Deuce pickup and sedan it's works pretty good with a flat floor,,in the '54 Ford Ranch Wagon,,I'm gonna have to come up with something that is seen when needed and unseen when it is not. HRP

13. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Realy are we talking about Cup holders in Hot Rods

14. desotot

desotot

We are talking about COFFEE!:rolleyes:

15. Yes "we" have been for over 3yrs. If it offends your Trad-sensibilities feel free to use the back button.;)

16. Sorry to offend you but thousands of guys and gals drive hot rods & customs and start their day with a cup of Joe,personally I have poured coffee in the floor on too many occasions,,holding a cup of liquid heat between my legs while shifting gears is not my idea of fun anymore.

BTW,,coffee is traditional! HRP

17. wsdad

wsdad

There are nearly 200,000 members on the H.A.M.B.

A few will want cup holders.

A few will not.

18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Well I guess it I could put my coffee in a pocket like my cell phone, I wouldn't need a cup holder.

19. I will research this one for my non traditional!

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...I'm gonna have to come up with something that is seen when needed and unseen when it is not. HRP "
    In a '32, one design that keeps ocurring to me is the floorboard...reasonably convenient, has areas with room underneath. Why not...bore a big round hole right through the the floorboard (Keep trying until you don't get a smell of brake fluid, foaming battery acid, etc.). Mounr simple strap beneath. Put holes near where floormat ends at seat...flop floormay to produce or hide holes. If the flames and rocks coming up bother you, add a steel plate pivoting on a screw under the rug. Hmmm.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Clever! :p

22. simple as "can" be for me in my 48 F-1...
    [​IMG]

23. norms30a

norms30a

Middle seat from Dodge minivan I just left the holder in. Don't know if there is room to really use it though.

Attached Files:

24. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Is this really traditional.:D

25. norms30a

norms30a

In my case a plastic thing under the seat that pulls out is probably not really traditional. But in my defense I have a Chevy that my dad bought new and it has a tray that swings out from under the dash and it is big enough for a drink and a sandwich so, if it was ok in 1947 I decided, what the heck, go for it,:D.

Attached Files:

26. atch

atch

according to the best information that i can remember from my history lessons, folks have been drinking fluids since before automobiles were invented...

(oh, one other thing, go back and read; this question has been raised about a dozen times. if yer not interested, go on to another thread that does interest you)

27. Traditional or not, it was started by the Super Moderator of the Hamb and even Ryan has posted on the subject,,so in my mind it's fair game. HRP

28. Tony

Tony

I picked up a couple of these from the bike dept at Toys r Us..it was cheap too.
    Made a little adapter to hang it off the shifter on my 52 Chevy truck (auto) and use it all the time. Works great, and made by Bell so looks traditional haha :D

The other one is for my 32 as well, just need to make a mount.
    I do NOT function well without my coffee and could give a rats ass what anyone thinks about having a cup holder in a hot rod. :)

Tony

Attached Files:

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Super Moderator + cup holder = 50s traditional. Or 50s traditional according to the HAMB.

30. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I'll go with a little roadie snobery and use a Ciussi stainless cage.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.