Register now to get rid of these ads!

My small piece of nostalgia!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt slinger, Apr 14, 2013.

1. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I bought this rear end the other day. It was under a model A pickup that a guy wanted to make an everyday driver. After disk brakes on the front and a 8" rear end this was for sale. I can't pass on a good deal. May be using this for my A project that's a couple years away. The spring is junk but all brakes are new. After a bit of TLC it will look pretty good. It has a little pitting and small spot of flaking but it's cool. I will post more picks when I give it a good cleaning. I can't help being excited. ImageUploadedByTJJ1365962871.437956.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365962887.034375.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365962904.916805.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365962923.101089.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1365962949.967823.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

that spring aint junk! It still has a few spacers and slaper bars in it. Nice find!!

4. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Thats just neat!

5. Dang Jamie, you're sure finding a lot of stuff around. You must have connections.
    That sure would look good under my coupe......:rolleyes:

6. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

7. NICE.......way coool!

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I love it when street rodders tear into an old car and have no use for the cool parts they are removing. One mans junk and all that stuff........:D

Great score. I would leave the patina'd chrome just like it is, it has character.

Don

9. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Maybe I'm wrong but the spring looks as if it was heated and bent just inside the eyes. Of course that main leaf could be changed and use the rest.

10. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time!

11. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

My thoughts exactly!

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

13. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

14. not45blesk

not45blesk

15. Some guys just don't get it,,they think they are improving a piece with history and all they are really doing is destroying it piece by piece.

Congratulations on saving something with history,,and really nice looking to boot! HRP

16. bgaro

bgaro

it's cooool

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I know it's been under a car for years but I'd be real scared to run those rear bones split with an open drive. Model A bones are weaker than V8 and those have been chromed as well!. I'd put it back to a closed drive so you don't break one and destroy your car.

18. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

The bones have actually had some strengthening done on the rearend end. Where the bracket originally was slid into the tube a totally new end was fabricated and welded in place. They don't look to be from these pics. I will post more when I get it all cleaned up. No need for a torque tube when a 5 speed will be used for good cruising. I appreciate your concern but they seem to be properly modified. If they been on the road that long I'd say they are strong enough( after further inspection).

19. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

After thinking about the last couple of posts on how fragile the A bones may be, should I be concerned? At the moment just a stock flathead will power the car. I have checked the bones over and there is no fatiguing or cracks. The modifications are beefy and look like an experienced fabricator did it. I will post more pictures when I get home.

20. brandon

brandon

perfect for a low horse old style t bucket

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You are going to find that guys are either from the "It's ok to split rear bones" or "Thy shall never split rear bones" camps. I am a "never" split bones guy. Yes, a high powered mill will twist them up quicker, but it moreso has to do with the stresses they are required to withstand going down the road over bumps and corners. The topic has been discussed many times. Do a search and see if you can find it.