Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone going to spring Carlisle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped30, Mar 20, 2013.

1. chopped30

chopped30
    from ohio

Just checking to see who all may be going to spring Carlisle. Just about a month to go and I have been gathering some neat stuff to take. I have 4 Model A Ford coupe complete quater panels with rear window sections and an old Model A pickup cab project plus a buddy is taking a Model T Ford along with bunches of other stuff.. (good thing we have a lot of room in th ND section) Hope the weather is good. I need to get out of the winter blues.... Hope to meet up some of you guys..

2. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Was just going to post the same question. How's the quality of the show, hopefully better than E-Town.

I havent been to Carlisle since I was a teenager, before I could drive, probably 25-26 years ago.

I'll be looking for Model A parts, Body or Maybe a more complete car if the price is right. If I can get out there probably wont be till Sat or Sun.

3. I am not going to Carlisle this year for the first time in over thirty years. IMO it is not as worthwhile as it once was. There was a time when there was a waiting list for vendor spots. Now there are too many empty vendor spots. I always went as a vendor and I feel the number of spectators/shoppers has dropped somewhat although I have never seen any attendance figures. Just doesn't seem to be near the crowd there used to be and it also seems like there are a lot of just "tire kickers". By that I mean people who just came to look and are not really looking to buy.

I would like to hear some other opinions on this.

4. Fenders

Fenders

Nothing is as worthwhile as it once was.... but it is better than nothing.

5. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I plan on attending. What is your ND section #'s? Might be interested in some
    Model T parts or something else.

6. white64

white64
    from Maine

I'll be there Thursday and Friday, I usually have a list of stuff I'm looking for but not this year... I'll probably end up just being another gawker/B.S.er....

7. you bet!!! I have not missed spring or fall Carlisle in years. I must agree it is not as good as years ago but still lots of fun.

8. chopped30

chopped30
    from ohio

We will be in ND19-20-21-22. Getting stuff gathered up. Any request for A or T parts? I always bring a big box of Model A small packages new never opened and have them for $1.00 a bag. Will have the coupe sheet metal and odds and ends.. Stop by and say hello.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wouldn't miss it !!

10. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I will be selling in spots G105-107....stop by and say Hi!!!....remember, goodies for hambers....stan

11. Hope to be there Fri. Will stop by and say Hi. Looking for a '29 coupe trunk lid and rear fenders.
    RB

12. I agree that it's not as good as it use to be...but what is these days. I always go on Friday and walk as long as the knee will allow.
    My attack plan, walk 5 isles, eat an Italian sausage sandwich, walk 5 isles, get a big drink, walk 5 more isles, pop a pain pill and then start the routine over for about another 4-6 hours.
    Be sure to put out a sign... H.A.M.B. spoken here.
    I wear my HAMB T-Shirt always.

13. BillyM

BillyM

Yup! 3 or maybe 4 of us are heading down - plan to leave around 3 am Friday and be there for noon. Most of us haven't been in 25 years or so, and from what I've gathered lately, it's changed a lot. Still should be a good way to spend the weekend. I just hope the weather co-operates.

14. The weather can be a real toss-up at Carlisle. In the 35 years I have attended I have seen everything from rain to 4" of snow to 80+ degrees and sunny. It can be a real crap shoot.

I remember when the rows were not paved and if/when it rained the rows turned into a quagmire. We sat and watched women walk by in high heels of all things and step right out of them as the shoes got sucked into the mud. Talk about sensible shoes..........NOT. :p

15. I have been going for years and agree that the number of empty spaces seems to be growing. I have a hunch that the crack down on the Pa. sales tax is part of the problem. I am by no means a dealer, the stuff I sell is mostly things I can't use or didn't fit my projects. It sucks that I have to charge and pay a sales tax on something I am probably taking a loss on. Buy a $ 500 dollar header pay sales tax then find out that it doesn't quite fit, sell it for half and pay another tax to Pa. I know you pass it on to the customer but damn. Whats next taxing yard sales.

16. raymay

raymay

Been going most of the years it has been there. It has definitely changed over the years but still makes for a great weekend.
    Hanging with good friends at our spots, meeting interesting people, Always trying to make or score a good deal and looking for new ideas. Not to mention the good chow one of our traveling buddies likes to prepare for us each spring and fall.
    Ya, I'm going again this year.

17. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

I have been going for 30+ years also, usually with anywhere from 2 to 10 buddies. All getting rid of old stuff we no longer needed. A few years back I was sent a letter from Carlisle Productions stating that a spot check showed that my truck was parked in my space with no items for sale. I replied that the Carlisle experience was selling AND buying. I cant do both sitting in my spot every day. Never heard another word from them.
    It was a kick in the ass having to deal with the sales tax issue this year. Both the nice lady from Carlisle that I spoke with and the extremely helpful lady from PA Sales Tax office said that there will be a bunch of "agents" checking vendor spaces for the required posted sales tax license, so beware...
    I used to say that Ebay ruined Carlisle, but I think greed from the event organizers and the government are equally to blame. Rant over..

18. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

NJ15-17 I will be there Thursday setting up. Need a place to set somethiung down while you walk stop and drop it, pick it up on the way out. Look for the HAMB banner at Moonlight Movies

19. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Planning to attend on Wednesday. Not looking for anything in particular, it's just a good way to celebrate the arrival of Spring. Walk until you're about to drop, carrying a few bargain items that you just gotta have. And don't forget "The Hill". And don't forget the "Big Woodys" sausages at the concession area. (I think that's what they're called) It just doesn't get any better than that. Hopefully, this time it will be dry. I've slogged thru the mud a few times! See you there.:D

20. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Ill be there. Wont miss it. Great way to kick of the year and get pumped for the summer.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last time for me was 1979, sold a NOS set of ARDUN heads for a then Record Price of $2,500. and never went back. Bob

22. Wildman1

Wildman1

We'll be there - 2 generations! I've been going for over 30 years as well

23. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I am going to look for truck and sbc parts.

24. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

I'll be down there Wed nite set up for Thursdaysale LOL not much selling last few yrs but a good start for spring setting on nh 38 and 39 stop by and say hay

25. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Not as good as it used to be but nothing is....and if you spend the time to really LOOK instead of just walk you can still find good buys.

26. i will be there on Friday

27. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Going to Wilmington Ohio for ECTA opening meet instead.

28. 5window

5window

I'll be there Thursday-only day I don't work this year. Definitely not what it was- and greed has a lot to do with it. Not much hotrod stuff these days, too damn many riding carts, weather's unpredictable, the guy I bought sausages from for years-even the stand-had changed (but I'm on a diet-lost 30 lbs and won't eat one anyway)-too many "tuners" and late models=gas is up-they charge too much for parking---I'll be there :)

29. 36C8

36C8

Went last year, some decent car deals for Mopar muscle, but very little in hot rod stuff. I went home with most of my money still in my pocket, always the opposite at Hershey!