Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 AV8 coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olskool34, Oct 30, 2012.

1. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

this is going to be a great car, I am sure you will regret it if you don't finish it :mad:

2. olskool34

olskool34

Well, my father and I had a long talk about the car, some tears were shed and I think we are back on track. He wanted this car done by June and I told him that it was just not possible. I was getting extremely frustrated with everything and I mis-calculated the cost it was going to take to build the car.

My dad didn't understand how I could be so far off but the initial purchase of the car was more than we wanted to spend. He is new at this and he doesn't always understand just how long and how much it takes to build a car (love ya pops!) but we figured things out and we are going forward.

My T is also going to start to get worked on so the updates for this might go slower than they were but we will still have stuff to show. We started tackling the subrails where they were cut to clear the z in the frame. We had to remove the lower front quarter and wheel well to do this and we found some rust in the outer subrail behind the lower quarter. We replaced the rotten outer subrail and fabbed up new pieces to go over the z in the frame.

It may not be the prettiest but it works. Put in new lower quarters and new wheel wells and pretty much have the driver side done. Also made a mount for the taillight using the existing fender brace holes. Now we need to do the passenger side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

This is an awesome car and build as well as inspirational since it involves you and your dad. Keep it up and best to you and your dad!

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

5. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

6. I am finding it so hard to make a taillight choice. Your choice is an inspiration...

7. George604

George604
    from usa

Keep it comin'-Looks good so far![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. olskool34

olskool34

Over the weekend I poked the front lower quarter with a screwdriver and it went through it. I cut out the bad and welded in a new patch. Driver side now has no more rot! Going to tackle the other side next. Even though I thought this was a super clean body, there is still some areas that need attention.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. That car looks "right" in the last photo!

10. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I have had my merc scene 1978 ,i tell everyone it don't eat a thing, i'll get it done. slow and steady always wins the race:D..............jack

11. fonti

fonti

don't worry too much about the "budget"...budget and hot rod don't like each other...
    and regarding the time frame: art needs time!!

good luck with your build!!

12. That's gonna be real nice!

13. englands54

englands54

bad to the bone..old bones brought back..

14. cnocha30

cnocha30
    from Tucson, AZ

Sorry to go back so far, but did you plug the original holes for the steering box and drill new ones for the F1 box? If I missed the answer earlier, sorry. You car is a big inspiration to me. Thanks for the posts. I am just beginning a '30 build. Chris

15. olskool34

olskool34

Hey Chris, the hole is the stock A hole but the stock mounting holes have been moved from stock.

16. LQQKER

LQQKER

My 31 roadster needs lower cowl panels and my metal skills are so so. Did you fabricate those with a bead roller? The purchase items I have seen usually don't match the lower detail very well.Yours look perfect

17. olskool34

olskool34

They were actually given to me by an old timer that stops by so I have no idea how old they are or who made them.

18. Tank

Tank

Well put!!!!

Keep up the good work. The coupe is looking great!

19. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

This thread is awesome...Subscribed.

20. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Olskool, I like the way that you modified the rear subframe to fit the kick in the frame. Are you planning to use the wood blocks between the body and frame similar to the stock mounting? Thanks for the info. Keep up the great work! CTJ

21. Very inspirational build!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. kingpins

kingpins

23. great job man. I love looking at all of these coupe builds. It gives me motivation

24. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks man, I really dig your coupe as well!

25. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I like how you modifies the rear subrails for the kick up. It's how I did mine

26. Wardog

Wardog

I just checked out you're T, it's looking great. Any progress on the A or are you wroking on the T?

27. bustingear

bustingear

This modification is easily done by just reversing the fire wall

28. olskool34

olskool34

Maybe in your opinion but the reversed firewall would be too far back for my liking and it just doesn't look "right" to me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  29. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks! Actually, I just sold the T body because I decided to use the front half of a touring and build a 20's style lakes modified instead. This weekend we tackled the passenger side front cowl patch on the A and it is done. Next is the passenger side rear wheel well and then pull the body for prep work before paint.

30. olskool34

olskool34

Been awhile since I updated this thread but my pops came over tonight to check out my work on the T and I showed him the pics from the ROG and he said he would love to take the coupe there next year! He wants to get back on it and over this winter we are going to dive back into it along with getting my T done in hopes that both are ready by early summer. Stay tuned..........